RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Santa or Father Christmas? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200260)

Feel_Good_inc. 17-12-2012 10:52 AM

Santa or Father Christmas?
 
The poll is mostly for people in the UK.
My entire life I called the big guy in the red suit Father Christmas. If I called him Santa I was told, mostly by my mum, "Father Christmas, we're not American."

That's how I grew up, even though in all movies I saw at the time he was called Santa Claus I knew that was the American name and in England we called him Father Christmas.

But more and more over the last few years I've heard people, in all kinds of places, referring to St Nick as Santa, without being corrected.
People on TV, friends and family, even stores are putting up a Santa's Grotto instead of a Christmas Grotto.
Even ITV will be holding a Text Santa charity event over Christmas.

I'm partially curious as to when the changeover happened and it became more acceptable to call Father Christmas by the American name of Santa Claus without being corrected.

Mostly I'm curious as to what name you commonly use. Do you say Father Christmas or do you say Santa?
Or something else?

Cacoethes 17-12-2012 11:12 AM

Father Christmas, all the way!!

makedamnsure 17-12-2012 11:17 AM

I was an elf at a grotto recently (don't ask) and kept saying Santa, when most of the kids parents said Father Christmas. I think Santa is just shorter so it's been adopted more readily but yeah, i had to really make an effort to say Father Christmas. I don't think I said Santa when I was little.

Accidentally Abstract 17-12-2012 01:46 PM

We've always used both terms interchangably.

Accidentally Abstract 17-12-2012 01:46 PM

Lol woo for such similar responses!

Gem-Louise 17-12-2012 02:22 PM

Santa Claus :)

Nargles 17-12-2012 04:19 PM

I've always said Father Christmas and yesterday, my three year old niece corrected me and told me it's not Father Christmas, it's Santa. I suppose Santa is easier for her to say though so I'm going along with it to avoid confusing her.

GlitterTrashDoll 17-12-2012 04:27 PM

Santa.

Eccentrics 17-12-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumbelina (Post 3450292)
I've always used Father Christmas, Santa and Santa Claus interchangeably.


Gofeen 17-12-2012 06:02 PM

It's always been Santa up here in Scotland as far as I am aware.

SilentBoy 17-12-2012 06:28 PM

For me it was always Father Christmas, but I don't mind santa; despite my overall hatred of Americanisms! :-P

Amaranth 17-12-2012 06:43 PM

I mostly used Father Christmas when I was little, but santa is shorter & easier so use them fairly equally now.
Have never come across a Christmas grotto, even when I was a kid they were always called Santa's grotto.

~Lost Soul~ 17-12-2012 06:58 PM

Sandy Claws.


xxhappydaysxx 17-12-2012 07:03 PM

It depends! I work in a nursery so depends what story we are reading or song we are singing them! In conversation I would usually say Father Christmas though my personal favourite is a little boy I work with who insists on calling him "Christmas Guy" which I think should catch on!

SilentBoy 17-12-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxhappydaysxx (Post 3450496)
It depends! I work in a nursery so depends what story we are reading or song we are singing them! In conversation I would usually say Father Christmas though my personal favourite is a little boy I work with who insists on calling him "Christmas Guy" which I think should catch on!

Haha, Christmas guy. Love it!

Wonderland. 17-12-2012 07:13 PM

Santa all the way.

Tig 17-12-2012 10:05 PM

I usually say Father Christmas but occasionally Santa.

random.swirls 18-12-2012 12:06 AM

Father Christmas but typing wise I tend to say santa

Sarah 18-12-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gofeen (Post 3450455)
It's always been Santa up here in Scotland as far as I am aware.

I'm also Scottish and I've never heard anyone use Father Christmas.. Always Santa.

Mandimoo 18-12-2012 06:43 AM

Santa is his name, Father Christmas is his title, we always called him Father Christmas.

Feel_Good_inc. 18-12-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandimoo (Post 3451006)
Santa is his name, Father Christmas is his title, we always called him Father Christmas.

Actually makes sense. :-)

Mandimoo 18-12-2012 10:23 AM

We were told it was more respectful to call him father christmas and only naughty children called him santa, then as we got older, americans are all disrespectful because they call hhim santa, then as we got a little older, santa is the hundreds of pretend father christmases who dress up, father christmas is the one real one who brings your presents lol

FabulousMike 18-12-2012 10:27 AM

He's The Big Red Guy That Eats A*L The Cookies And Drinks A*L The Milk.

Mandimoo 18-12-2012 10:42 AM

Mike you big meanie :p

Cacoethes 18-12-2012 10:44 AM

Milk? We always put brandy or whisky!

Do you think there are drink driving rules for sleighs?

FabulousMike 18-12-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandimoo (Post 3451127)
Mike you big meanie :p

Me? Never! :P

FabulousMike 18-12-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator Aardvark (Post 3451133)
Milk? We always put brandy or whisky!

Do you think there are drink driving rules for sleighs?

I'm not going to waste good drink on someone i've not even met!

Yes, yes there are.

Mandimoo 18-12-2012 10:48 AM

We leave out a mince pie, a carrot and some milk because my parents don't drink really so never had brandy or whiskey in the house

Cacoethes 18-12-2012 11:10 AM

All i have is vodka. And Father Christmas isn't getting his hands on that :plain:

Unless he gets me an aardvark, then i may consider it.

Pi.R^2 19-12-2012 09:48 AM

Santa or Santa Claus, but never Father Christmas.

Unbreakable. 19-12-2012 10:06 AM

Weihnachtsmann (= Christmas Man)
:P

SilentBoy 19-12-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha Bitch (Post 3452025)
Weihnachtsmann (= Christmas Man)
:P

In some parts of Germany they have the Weihnachtskind which is the Christmas Child.... Who is a girl!

Cacoethes 19-12-2012 11:09 AM

Girl Santa? Madness!!

SilentBoy 19-12-2012 11:13 AM

I lied slightly, it's actually called Christkindl but close enough.
Usually depicted as an angelic cherub, traditionally a girl.

Unbreakable. 19-12-2012 11:40 AM

That's true, we do that. I have some friends who don't get their presents from the Weihnachtsmann but from the Christkind!

Mandimoo 19-12-2012 09:03 PM

In first school we did christmas round the world and i was chosen to read a passage about 'sinterklas' the dutch father christmas, being 7 or 8 I accidentally mis-read it the first time (at the audition...except we were called to try it out, no choice) and i read 'stinker-lass' the whole way through and my teacher didn't correct it til the end!

Gofeen 23-12-2012 02:23 AM

Is Santa Claus not the translation of St. Nicholas who was the first Santa - where ther tradition originated from? At least that's what I always thought so to me Father Christmas doesn't make sense. My mum has always said Santa Claus, even in her childhood and she is 93 (almost) and is Irish. Have I got it wrong?

Mandimoo 23-12-2012 09:58 AM

Probably something like santa niclaus.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.