RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum and Community Questions (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   The 'if you are feeling suicidal, post here' thread (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184673)

rara avis 16-03-2012 06:29 AM

The 'if you are feeling suicidal, post here' thread
 
I'm really struggling at the moment and for the first time am thinking about suicide. I saw the aforementioned thread and had a look. It makes me very worried because so many people are posting there about being suicidal and only a couple of people out of many get a reply, and when they do it's only very short. I am just concerned that members who are seriously considering suicide post there aren't getting adequate support. It just concerns me.

Bellatrix 16-03-2012 11:14 AM

There are a lot of issues with that thread. It needs deleting

crazykat 16-03-2012 11:23 AM

^Agreed

Gone. 16-03-2012 11:23 AM

I think that the entire thread needs a rethink. It is not a positive place to post in for support.

On.My.Way 16-03-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellatrix (Post 3167758)
There are a lot of issues with that thread. It needs deleting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shine. (Post 3167763)
I think that the entire thread needs a rethink. It is not a positive place to post in for support.

This.

FabulousMike 16-03-2012 12:37 PM

I agree with this, i think it needs to be deleted and maybe something else being put there in it's place.

Have you thought about maybe reporting it to the forum mods?

iejatguih 16-03-2012 01:01 PM

We've had a very big discussion about this thread before, but I cannot find the thread where it happened.

Gone. 16-03-2012 01:04 PM

This thread has been discussed over and over... it doesn't seem like we've got anywhere with that though!

All I know is falling. 16-03-2012 03:21 PM

I don't quite understand the point of that thread, surely it's just a very negative place? Wouldn't it better to just make your own thread and actually get some good, proper advice?

On a site like this, where there's a lot of people who feel suicidal on a regular basis, I just can't imagine that that's the right type of thread to have..

Bellatrix 16-03-2012 05:02 PM

It also trivialises the notion of 'suicidal'. The amount of people who claim to be suicidal like, every day, is quite ridiculous. Maybe if there was a differentiation between passively and actively suicidal things would be better

Pi.R^2 16-03-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellatrix (Post 3168008)
It also trivialises the notion of 'suicidal'. The amount of people who claim to be suicidal like, every day, is quite ridiculous. Maybe if there was a differentiation between passively and actively suicidal things would be better

this.

Elmer 16-03-2012 05:33 PM

It also seems to me that it has huge potential to encourage competition as people who are more 'serious' are less likely to be overlooked. I think if you are feeling something as severe as suicidal, that warrants your own thread, as opposed to a few posts in a fast moving generic thread that may or may not get you a response.

xlaurenx 16-03-2012 08:40 PM

.. Right i have no idea how to quote what everyone has said in my post lol. So I am going to give my amazing views on the thread. At first i felt it was a good idea but I agree with what the OP has said, there are a number of people posting in that thread and only a few of these are getting replies. I agree with what jodie has put and because most of the time there is a reason or problems going out with the user who is suicidal it then takes a while to find out the reasons why they are and how to help them. In short ( should have put this at the top lol ) It would make more sense for the memebers to post their own threads in the SD , so support can be about how to support them.

xx

offlineforever 16-03-2012 09:17 PM

I agree with you all.

I have posted in the thread before and only realised afterwards that the thread was causing my mood to drop even more due to the fact that pretty much everyone was posting the exact same.

Also I found some of the responses to not be helpful, just saying something like *hugs* won't help lift my mood.

I get the intention of the thread, but I think on the whole, especially given what this site is for, it either needs to be closley moinitored, or be deleted for the sake of the majority of the people on this site.

FabulousMike 16-03-2012 09:19 PM

I mean this in the nicest way but why don't you report the thread? (that's at everyone, even me) If the mods get enough reports they will do something..

I'm not saying spam them with reports but yeah, you know what i mean :)

offlineforever 16-03-2012 09:21 PM

You have a point Mike.

offlineforever 16-03-2012 09:26 PM

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...d.php?t=180962

that is the thread it was last discussed in great detail.

squirrelspit 16-03-2012 09:34 PM

this is what i said in the thread before when a member posted in it about the validity of said thread:

Quote:

In regards to the title of this thread, my personal worries about it are exactly as you have explained. You have said this thread is similar to a 'if youre happy post here..' type thread, and it worries me that members are seeing 'feeling suicidal' as a comprable (spelt wrong i think) emotion to feeling happy or pissed off or sad.

I worry that by people identifying daily with feeling like they are ready to end their lives, it lessens what feeling suicidal actually is until its no longer a big deal.

Please dont think i am trying to say that there arent people that feel like that, im sure there are, but in as much as it pains me that a site like this makes peoples self harm into a normal behaviour, i would hate more for it to do the same to something so extreme and wanting to be dead.

I really hope that if anyone reads this i havent offended them. Please dont anybody think i am attacking you or your feelings personally. I am looking at this as someone that was once very actively suicidal and now am not.

and i stick by that. But the fact is, its not out and out breaking the rules so is not instantly deletable. As yet in its 180 pages, we havent received even one post report about anything written in it.

Elmer 16-03-2012 10:16 PM

I guess it's not the specific posts, but the concept of the thread that is causing issues. As a whole I can't see it being a very helpful thread but wouldn't be able to pinpoint a certain post to report, I just know that I am uncomfortable with the idea of a large number of suicidal people coming together in a single thread. I can't see it helping anyone.

Keyboard Warrior 17-03-2012 11:07 AM

what happened to people taking responsibility for themselves, learning to be compassionate & asking for support in a thread of their own? yeah it's hard but in real life, these things have to be done.

The One Who 17-03-2012 12:56 PM

Basically I agree that it is the concept of the thread that is concerning, rather than individual posts. Although surely that the thread has been brought up at least twice now in quite quick succession is cause for concern?

Freedom Fighter 17-03-2012 06:29 PM

I agree with andy

Keyboard Warrior 17-03-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrannicide (Post 3168840)
I'd note that there's a scary thought possibility of if we're not careful disregarding passive suicidals here and therefore encouraging some to become active to receive support/attention. that could end up very messy.

qft.

Tig 17-03-2012 09:03 PM

Though I know this doesn't solve the issue, I'm wondering if people have the time and are willing, if they were to pop in to the thread and notice a comment from somebody - perhaps gently suggest to them that it may be more helpful for them to post a thread of their own for more support? I appreciate this doesn't solve the whole issue and may only help a handful of people but it's a start.

DollyPOP 18-03-2012 04:29 PM

I posted in this thread once and realised it was al ot of the same people saying the same things.

IDK, I'm new to the forum, but I didn't find it particularly helpful or supportive when I really needed support, and oh look, Hi Dr, I'm in A&E today because XYZ (im' usually not the one to talk but...) my point is still there.

Not that the thread is to blame for me trying to "do" something about my feelings of suicide, but it wasn't very supportive when I really really did need support - I think individual threads and journals are best, that way too the support will come from the people you talk to the most on forums... and hence may know a little about your situation etc etc

surely is feeling actively suicidal everyday was the norm for someone they ought to be in hospital.... I mean it only takes 2-3 attempts/ 1 major attempt (or someone got there too late) or slip-ups wham bam you're locked up in the loony bin? no...? Maybe I'm wrong.

I tend to find in these situations anyway that the health service is the best resource, i.e. home treatment team, dr's, psychs, A&E

I think there is a HUGE difference too between feeling generally suicidal and hopeless and feelings like you ACTUALLY are going to kill yourself and DO something. A HUGE difference, hence my fanatical use of caps in this post.

Scaredy-cat 18-03-2012 08:56 PM

^ yep, definitely. Ive thought about suicide a lot lately but i wouldnt do it and nor would i want to post in that thread. I dont think it wpuld help in the slightest

FabulousMike 18-03-2012 08:57 PM

Thinking about it, it must be helping someone if the same people keep going back to it...

I have no idea what my point here is, i just felt like saying that.

Wonderland. 18-03-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike (Post 3170152)
Thinking about it, it must be helping someone if the same people keep going back to it...

I have no idea what my point here is, i just felt like saying that.

Perhaps it helps in a way to make them feeling less alone with how they are feeling, and also maybe they just want someone to know how they are feeling but maybe in the mindset they are in they also don't feel worthy of making a thread. I don't really know though.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.