![]() |
Helplines?
I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used a helpline charity such as Childline, the Samaritans, and any others for emotional support of some kind? Did you find them useful?
I've never phoned any of them up, except Childline a while ago, but it didn't last long because I sort of lost my nerve and the dude told me to ring back once I'm ready and hung up. I've also emailed Samaritans (Jo@Samaritans.org) but I never found helpful at all. I found they killed off conversation quick, firstly by asking a ton of questions (some being irrelevent) and then by going "okay i hope you're fine now after speaking to us. You can always email us if you wish". I understand such a service is good for those who need a good rant, but I'm someone who seeks advice or at least discussion about options, which they don't provide, and because it's email and they don't write a lot - they come across as quite apathetic.. |
samaritans - no, they just encouraged me to tell someone else. if i wanted to tell my doctor i would! but looking back on it i can see why. found the same with emails as you.
childline - better, asked me questions tried to understand. but i'm not a big fan of just talking things through, i'm maybe more like you, wanting something practical. never rung anyone else. |
Samaritans was a bit weird. I had some guy telling me I shouldn't top myself because I sounded like I was pretty and there was a shortage of young women in this country, then it changed into "this country needs scientists". Which was all a bit random and not particularly helpful. I've found them useful by emails though.
Other helpline I used was Focusline, which is run by Rethink. That was not so great as they phoned the police on me and I got carted off to hospital against my wishes. I guess if things had been more serious they would have been justified, but I knew I didn't need hospital, hence why I didn't go to A+E of my own volition. I've also emailed our wonderful Supporters here and I have to say it's probably been the most useful out of all 3! |
I've had similar experiences. I had a positive experience when I called ChildLine, but admittedly that was 10 years ago!
Samaritans I find useless as from the moment they answer they basically just try to get me off the phone and tell me to 'go to sleep' and that 'it will be better in the morning'! I mean, seriously, who trains these people??? The only number I find helpful is my local mental health line - it might be worth checking if your PCT provides one? I also use the Duty Social Worker (affiliated to the mental health team in my area) and generally they are quite good although when I call them out of hours I have to go through the Council's social services number and usually end up speaking to someone who is an admin person who doesn't understand and can't get to speak to a Duty Social Worker unless I work really hard to plead my case and I'm not always up to doing that! But certainly, I'd say checkout if your PCT has out of hours mental health line. I think there's SaneLine as well but I have a feeling they only have very limited hours due to funding. |
I've emailed the Samaritans quite a lot before.
Over Easter I was very unstable. They put me on a Care Plan where they don't reply to me until 48 hours or more after my email. Which didn't help. I mean, it stopped me emailing them, because it just felt no point. And it just made me feel like they were getting rid of me. I'm not sure what to use as an alternative, as I have a potentially rocky time coming up. We have a counselling phone line available via work. I don't know how good they'd be for intense stuff like I deal with though. Hmm. I've emailed Support Line before, and their replies have been really helpful, but it seems more of a one off. Phone anxiety limits me somewhat. But I may just have to get a hold of things and use a phone line in future if I need something. |
I rang childline after an assault (even though I was 18, lol) and they were really nice. It was like 2 in the morning and I was so out of it I couldn't answer most of their questions. I just remember them repeatedly asking me if I was safe. Don't rememebr much else, but I'm alive and kicking so they did something right.
I've emailed Samaritans, but didn't find it very helpful becasue I wanted someone to offer me specific support and all they could do was tell me to go to the doctors. Currently talking to cruse bereavement. They're nice thus far, and have arranged to ring me to be put on the waiting list to talk to someone. Also spoke to Live Help here on RYL - they are wonderful! And done 1-2-1 with B-EAT which also wasn't helpful as they told me to go to the doctor (again). |
Wow, it certainly is interesting to see people's negative experiences with the samaritans.
|
i didn't think samaritans were bad bad, just i needed something different at the time.
|
Child-line 9/10 was very good for me, they really helped so much, Samaritans were far more hit and miss, some were good but a fair few were tactless and didn't know what to say.
|
Quote:
|
I've used the Samaritans and their emailing system has been an absolute lifesaver. Sometimes they are incredibly vague in their answers and they don't always say the best things but their support has been invaluable and they've helped a hell of a lot. With calling them, I kind of said I wouldn't do that again. I think I've called twice and they were incredibly patronizing both times saying I should be a 'good girl' and 'if I was your mother' which just didn't help and made me feel small. Not sure if they were just bad experiences.
Childline have been a little hit and miss to call. Sometimes they are amazing and other times they have assumed I was lying and basically told me to get off the phone so they could help someone who actually wanted it. The 1-2-1 chat has technical difficulties a lot of the time and so they cut you off after a while. They do ask if you're safe a lot though. Too old now though so I wouldn't email them again. I've used Kooth counselling before, just random sessions and some of their counsellors are better than others. They have helped though. GetConnected can be useful, even though it is meant to direct you towards getting support in other places, it can help to talk to them when you just don't want to use anywhere else. |
Beat have been the most amazing support organisation that I have ever used.
Sams I found a little difficult to talk too; I think it just wasn't what I needed at the time. A few of the people didn't really want to talk, one was really lovely though. I have also spoken to GetConnected.... I spoke to one lady once and sobbed for like, half an hour, and then she asked who I wanted to be connected too and I was like 'Erm, I feel better now I've spoken to you' haha. She was like Oh.....!! :-) I think it made her day, she was truly ace. x |
Calling Samaritians was an AWFUL experience for me personally. I was sat on the floor, in the rain at 2 in the morning, 4 miles away from home, completely and absolutely desperate and the woman on the other end of the phone was almost silent, she barely asked any questions and I found myself just mortified, I was scared to hang up because I was so alone, but scared to stay on the phone because she seemed more awkward and nervous than I was! I actually ended up begging her to just speak... I was saying 'Please will you just say anything, even the bloody alphabet if you must!' =p
But I've emailed them in the past and they were quite helpful. Don't let it put you off though... there are hundreds of volunteers at Samaritians and it might just have been my bad luck I got a quiet one... I've never called anybody else but the Crisis Team, I was in a state then too, and they were helpful in a way because they knew who I was, they knew my history and they contacted my social worker the following day... but other than that the phone call was quite horrible, they kind of talked at me rather than too me, but I suppose it was a tactic, and it was an awful lot better than silence! Sorry for the rant... lol, some can be useful, you just have to speak to the right person... if you call the Samaritians and the person on the opther end is difficult to talk to, call back and you'll probably get a different one. Urm yeah, if you feel it will be helpful... go for it! =] |
^^ Yeah, I agree that it depends on the person. Don't let one bad experience put you off.
|
Yus, the same. With the sams I had a guy who I totally couldn't talk too, but I had a lovely lady who was really, really calming and kind. I did ring back and talk to someone else though - so that's probably the way to go. x
|
Like others here, emailing the samaritans was just no good. They never replied until at least 2 days after, so I gave up. However, I decided to Text them, and that was actually the best thing ive done with regards to helplines. They replied almost straight away in most cases, and were extremely good.
|
Quote:
Quote:
|
In that case, told them where I live. Focusline is a helpline that's specific to the East Midlands and receives funding from the NHS and can also refer you on to people such as social services and things, so I didn't think it was that weird that I had to give my address.
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
again, i found the phoneline pretty unhelpful. It was too general, it felt like i had to go over things again and again. The email system was alright, but again it was very vague. Despite this, i think the service is good and i imagine it helps many people everyday.
I've also rung the ED youth number in the past (now BEat i think) and they were ok. TBH most of the time i ring my local out of hours service connected to CMHT. At least they have my care plan to hand although it does get a little frustrating when they tell me to take a hot bath, repeatedly. |
I've only ever tried samaritans.
when i end up calling them it is usually late so my friends / other help lines arent there or im in such blacknees i dont know what is going on.I have to say they have helped. Even the times where I have rung go through and hung up because I couldnt speak it was nice just to know there was someone at the other end of the line who cared. How 'good' a call is often depends on the volunteer. I'm more comfotable talking to women. The best thing is you are never turned away. so yeah i'd recommend them. They dont really judge but they try to get you to a place where by the end of the call you are a little more secure. |
Can you use NHS Direct as a helpline? Anonymously?
I've thought of that, seeing as they're actually professionals, but I imagine NHS Direct are the kind that would send the Police to track you down in a mental crisis. |
I've rung NHS direct after the out of hours team told me to make a cup of tea. The nurse listened for a good hour and the majority of the time they have been really good. I do know that others have had an ambulance called, so I guess it depends on your situation.
I can't do the Samaritans as they 'listen' too much and I find silence triggers off issues for me. |
Ah I see. Yeah ^^ But can you use them anonymously? Or do you have to give them your name, address, GP, etc? Because I don't assume they can track you down otherwise if you use your mobile. lol. Or if they'd bother, that is anyway.
:pinch: |
Ive emailed and texted the samaritans, i find them helpful... I wont ring them though, dont like speaking on the phone.
|
This is the number my Social worker (when I lived in Coventry) gave me to call if it was out of hours and I was struggling but didn't want to call the crisis team: 0800 616 171.
|
Quote:
I'm surprised at how many people find the Samaritans helpful. Maybe they're just not for everyone or at least different on the phone. I've just never had luck with the emails. |
Yeah, I went to Warwick Uni and lived in one of the new flats in the city centre until April of this year. I'm supposed to be going back in October 2011. Let me know if you need any opinions on services there. I've been an inpatient and a day patient at Swanswell point and obviously an outpatient so I have a rough idea (not with CAMHS in that area though). Good luck!
|
I've called the Samaritans a few times and found them quite helpful, overall. It's pretty variable because obviously some volunteers are better than others or have a style that's more suited to your needs. One guy I spoke to was awful. He asked if I was religious and then kept trying to start a debate with me and telling me my beliefs were irrational. This was after I'd said I was suicidal and been in tears. But I hung up and called back and spoke to a really lovely woman who helped a lot. The other times I've called it's been fine. It's just good to know that there's someone there, and they're not bothered if all I do is cry down the phone for an hour. They'll also call you back the next day to check you're alright which is nice but it isn't a problem if you don't want that. I think what's nice about the Samaritans is that generally when I'm really low / desperate, I -know- what I 'ought' to be doing but I am so far beyond being able to do any of it and they get that and they're happy just to listen rather than telling me the same old crap that I already know.
I'm another one who isn't a big fan of the email service; I have used it when I've not been able to pick up the phone but it's not really helpful because you get a few lines back and it just seems really impersonal. I can see the value of email if they're actually allowed to give guidance but 'effective listening' via email is tricky, lol. If there's a crisis number for your area you could use that as well and they will probably be really helpful. But sometimes it's really hard to do that because they will need to know who you are, and so on. With NHS 24 (and presumably NHS direct) you can't use it anonymously as a helpline; you will have to give your personal details and the name of your GP. But I have heard good things about them and the fact that they can override what you want in order to keep you safe isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've never used it but Saneline was recommended to me (by the crisis team actually, for if I didn't want to call them) so I imagine it could be quite useful. They have an email service as well. The only problem is that it's only open from 6pm-11pm so not much good if you need to talk at any other time! I volunteer on another site taking (online) calls and replying to emails and that can be quite good especially if you just need to vent and have someone hear you. Not so good if you're in crisis though and personally I (now) wouldn't use a service like that, on RYL or elsewhere because I'm not really comfortable with potentially having a young teenager give me advice, but that is just me and probably horribly arrogant of me! Sorry, rambling! Anyways, I hope you're alright xx |
Samaritans told me to call back when "you know what you want"
& NHS direct send me ambulances every time. Yeah, helplines & me do not get on well. |
Quote:
:D Quote:
>_> The Samaritans emails come across as them not giving a toss, to be honest. I never look for a service that would send Police cars and Ambulances to my door within 10 minutes as my parents would throttle me for that, but a bit of advice would be nice. Talking about myself to a random stranger about my feelings seems really odd. I mean, friends and forums are good for that, but not a helpline. Quote:
|
I have emailed Samaritans and always got a lacklustre reply, so I have not bothered with them since. For various reasons, I have not been able to phone them, though.
If you are in Wales, then there is CALL ( http://www.callhelpline.org.uk/ ) which is free from a landline, so if you are worried about it showing up on the phone bill, it wont. I dont know if they charge from a mobile though (my guess is that I do). I have tried them from a mobile using the text service and they were extremely slow to reply, but this is when they werent 24 hours though, so they may be better now. I dont know what happens if you get in contact and you live in the rest of the UK though, but I am sure that there are some people here who live in Wales and are not aware of it. I have never used Childline because when I needed the most help I was an adult, so they were not appropriate for me, so I have no idea if they are good or bad. So in reality, for me, I have had a less than satisfactory response when using helplines, so I dont bother with them anymore. |
Some people's kneejerk response is to 'call Samaritans' or 'call Childline' when you're in a crisis it seems. Another thing that bugs me about the Samaritans (the emailing system at least) is that it's not always the same person there, so it's obviously hard to keep it somewhat personal.
|
Yeah...I know the walk in centre. I meant the building opposite the old hospital though (about 50-100 metres from the walk in centre and opposite the park). It is a day centre for psychiatric patients and also a psychotherapy centre (the black glass building).
|
I have found sams up and down really.
Once I talked to a lovely guy who really calmed me down and stayed on the phone with me til I had stopped crying and managed to pull myself together which was nice. The other times there's been really awkward silences where they don't say anything and it's just me crying down the phone to them :/ not useful. The email service was okay but a bit impersonal. I prefer to text them and then if I'm free ask them to ring me. |
I've had a hit and miss experience with the sams and the crisis team but i have had some really positive experiences too.
Once i was emailing the sams and they offered to call me. So later that evening a woman from the leicester place phoned me and she has got to have been one of the loveliest women i've ever spoken too. She stayed on the phone with me for hours even though her shift had ended and even came with me while i went to the kitchen because i hadnt eaten. She picked up on changes in my voice and let me rant but also actually gave me really good advice. At the end of the call she told me it had been a privilege to speak to me which nearly made me cry and she arranged for 2 other volunteers to call me back to make sure i was ok. I've got to say she is one of those people that i dont think i'll ever forget really. Same with the crisis team, if you're quite open with them and willing to accept their help they're pretty good although as with all services the level of care with each member of staff does vary. |
Quote:
:tongue2: |
I've called Childline, Samaritans, Womens Aid and spoken to Beat and RAINN online.
Childline are absolutely amazing, they are a brilliant support. Samaritans are so so, it depends on who you get. I've spoken to lovely people on there, but then also people who just ask "are you feeling better yet?" every five minutes. Womens Aid were very supportive too and gave me loads of information and stuff. Beat 1-2-1 did more listening than giving advice, at least the one I spoke to, and they were really kind. RAINN (can't remember what it stands for, but it's an American sexual assault online hotline) are also very supportive, but you have to be very careful not to give ANY information out, otherwise they will track it all and report it to the authorities. As far as I know, most of the voulnteers are survivors themselves and/or been trained specifically in sexual abuse counselling. |
I use 1-2-1 chat on Childline a lot, & I find it helpful.
I also email the Samaritans which I find helpful most of the time, depending on who is answering it. |
i use 1-2-1 chat on childline and find it really useful, i tried to use NHS direct, but they sent 4 police cars and an ambulance and i ended up in a 136 room in our local psych hospital.
|
Ive called Saneline, Samaritans, Childline, and B-eat over the years.
Samaritans are hit and miss, but I think Ive had better experiances than some of you's on here it seems. I was pretty shocked by Heidi's. Childline asked my age, I said 18 and they told me to hang up! So I did. I tried Saneline once but they werent much use. They didnt support, they were more informative. :/ B-eat I called once, but again, I didnt find it helpful. I dont think they did anything 'wrong' though. |
i called childline twice, the first time it was engaged for 4 1/2 hours, so i gave up, and the second time they just told me that i need to speak to my parents. not helpful.
i used to text and email the samaritans. the text service was good, but you could sometimes wait a while for a reply. the email i didnt find to bad. i think texting and emailing is better for me because then i can have a think about what i want to say, and if i want to delete something i can, but if you are on the phone and have said it, then you cant take it back. i have always been wary of them calling an ambulance etc though. if you get someone you dont feel you can speak to, or you dont think that they are helping, hang up and try again, or there is a local number for different areas as well, but there wont be so many people who work there. i think that is another reason why i dont ring samaritans, because if you ring the national number from a mobile, it costs a fortune, and i dont have a land line. i dont find my crisis team helpful at all... the told me to make a brew. yes, i am in england, but a brew does NOT solve everything. when it gets to 5 o'clock, i panic, because i know i cant ring my cpn, which usually makes me feel worse anyway. if anyone has the text number for the samaritans, i would be grateful. |
Quote:
0872 60 90 90 (If you're in the Republic of Ireland) As for the 1-2-1 IM chat thing with Childline, I tried that one, but I gave up waiting after about 20 minutes. Quote:
|
Stanpy thank you for the text number.
I havent been able to talk much lately x |
My mum works for simaritians and yes it does depend on the person as my mum is really helpful around that area she doesnt go quiet she listens to you and the askes you questions and gives you advise but i will pass all these comments onto her see if she can attept to sort something out and on my behalf im so sorry that you have felt that way with the simaritans
|
Quote:
And I emailed B-eat once but never got a reply. |
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:13 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.