![]() |
Life Goal Support Thread
Talking to the lovely Kerry (uniquely-feminine) made me think about how a lot of you lovelies keep putting off the things you want to do until you reach a certain weight or you feel a little better about how you look.
Possibly even in recovery there is a lot of focus about getting to a healthy weight and while that's often completely necessary there is also the fact that recovery offers a chance to discover who YOU are as your ED holds less of a grip on you. That's pretty exciting right? So of course you want to recover from from ED that's a given but above and beyond that what would you like to achieve in your life? What's important to YOU? And how could you go about working towards them in the present? Maybe that could be a long term goal like a certain career or starting a family or it could be more immediate like keeping on with your education and not letting your ED get the way? Maybe it could be to do with things like enriching your life, taking up a new hobby for example, or just spending time with nature or learning to be happier with yourself. Whatever it is imagine that on one parrallel you're working on beating your ED. At the same time you could be working on disovering who you are, your likes and dislikes and the kind of life you want for yourself. This could a be a space to do that, to find out who you are and want you want and go for it and then get support in the process. ED or no ED that's still possible! So tell me and each other your life goals and together we can all get there! |
Have a big family and help people.
|
What a brilliant idea for a thread.
*I aim to be happily married with my own family in a job i love - hopefully one that makes a positive difference to the lives of others. *I also wish to travel around the world experiencing other cultures. |
Great goals guys, keep them coming!
And I know both of you do make a positive difference to others here, and I'm sure in your lives elsewhere! *Joins Holly on her travels* Any idea where you'd like to travel hon? |
I'd like to go to the gym regularly without overdoing it.
I'd like to travel and experience different cultures' foods without having to worry about how many calories are in them. I'd like to meet a woman who I can completely fall in love with and have a happy life. I'd like to become a mental health nurse and help people. |
Quote:
I also want to go off track to some 'non tourist' destinations/countries to experience other cultures - eg India, Africa, parts of Mexico, etc. Basically i want to travel the world!!!!!!!!!!! ps i think everyone has fab goals!!!!!!! |
I recieved a letter from college this morning asking for the deposit for my trip to south africa next year. I got my dad to write a cheque so now I need to make sure Im fit to travel cos I will have to hike in very hot conditions for hours in the bush.
|
I want to go to France in my 3rd year of uni - if I'm not well enough, the uni won't let me go, and since that's the reason I chose Sheffield in the first place, that's definitely something to get healthier for..
I want to have a nice family (although not for a few years at least lol!), teach maths and hopefully write a novel in the future.. |
I want to get at least two more belts before I leave uni in 2 years.
I want to get good enough that I can compete in the tournament one day. I want to be fit enough to run Race for Life all the way. I can't do any of those unless I eat properly at uni. :) |
Awh, it's nice to see everyone's goals.
I... don't think I have any... ._. |
Holly, that is really cool! I used to say to my dad that I wanted to visit every capital city in the world so I may have to join you in your travels!
*stows herself in your suitcase ready*:tongue2: (Actually I remembered that I already said I would join you didn't I Holly, I'm too eager aren't I?!) I really recommend visiting New York at least once in your lifetime Holly, it's a fab place! In fact we should really have an RYL meet there one day *nods* Okay my essay is ending now! Marie-Going to Africa sounds amazing and it sounds like it could be a really good incentive for you, good luck! Kayleigh-Do you know which part of France you're planning to visit hon, is it to do with your degree? Liv-The best of luck hon, you have great goals! What belt are you on at the mo? Katie-That's okay hon you just need to give yourself time to think about it. Something that could help is if you imagine yourself 20 years from now having a great life. Imagine you've worked hard and succeeded. What would that life look like? What does that mean to you? Maybe break your life down into certain areas like work, romance, social life etc. It may seem hard right now to do especially if you have other things going on but give yourself the time that you need to focus on this, you deserve it! Maybe try spending 20 mins a day thinking about it. |
Kiran you are a genius!!!! a new york meet :P hahaha youre more than welcome to join me on my travels oooo and everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
everyone has fab goals xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
I'd like to find someone who loves me for me.
I'd also like to pass my exams and get onto doing the degree in my third year rather than carrying on with the diploma and I would really love a job in forensic psychiatry after that. Those are my goals; the second is something I'm really setting my mind to, the first is a give or take situation but something I would certainly like in time ;) |
When I was ill, I was convinced i'd be in trouble,mentally and physically, if i went to university. I was also convinced I was hideous and no one would ever love me.
I've just finished my first year at an Arts Uni without a relapse. And I've been with my Boyfriend for nearly two years. You CAN achieve these goals.... |
Such a good idea for a thread :)
I have always wantedto go to America and travel around there but ive always felt like i would be isolated because of my ED and the way i look if i went with a tour of people but now i at a more reasonable weight i can go...just when i get some money... Im also going to college to study health studies and then hopefully to uni but i know i couldnt do that being ill so im really trying hard to stay focused on these things... |
Sophie thankyou so much for posting hon, that was really inspiring to read-well done you!!!
Sarah-Wonderful goals honey ( I reckon you probably all know how I feel about America right now so I won't go into that again I bet you'll be relieved to hear!) The best of luck with college and university too, I know you can get to your goals! |
Thanks for this lovely thread Kiran :Smile:
My dream is to be comfortable and satisfied with how i look and how i am, living with my Sam and my lovely kids somewhere in Canada, and to have a nice career as a graphic designer. |
Quote:
Struggling a bit atm 'cos my psychologist's getting me to do a food diary and I don't like seeing it all written down, but I'm trying to focus on the long-term benefits. I like this thread. :thumbup: |
Oh coolio, so you're working on your goals then Liv! Good on you girl, keep going. You can succeed! What sport do you do again hon? Some part of my brain's telling me kickboxing for some reason...
Yeah I know a lot of people can find food diaries a bit daunting at first. Are you getting regular support from your psychologist though hon? |
OMG Roby I missed your post for some reason!
I'm not with it today! I love your goals and they are so achievable. Are you studying anything to do with graphic design at the moment? |
Quote:
And yup, I'm getting lots of regular support, seeing him once a week, so hopefully it'll help lots! Hope you're ok! :bubblegum: Have a bubblegum person! |
Okay so how are we doing guys?
A lot of you mentioned travelling in your goals-is anyone going travelling this summer? I'm actually going to London so that should be fun! |
I want to be in a good health so i would have enough power to chase my future kids :Smile:
|
Quote:
Eeee this whole post was meant for me *feels important* :Smile: Yes i am currently studying graphics design at the uni , one more year to go Hope ur doing okay x x |
Roby you are indeed important. *bows gracefully to you*
Good luck with the last year of your course hon! Liv how are you finding those food diaries sweetheart? |
Quote:
How's everyone else's goals going? |
*bump*
|
I want to take a course in 3D MAX design and be a proffesional at it :D
|
Okay Roby, you're going to have to explain that to me hon!
The language of graphic design is lost on me! |
Have you even seen those ads on TV for buildings that aren't built yet?
With the AutoCad Plans it can be build into a virtrual three dimenional buildings! It's like looking at the acrhictecture plans and then having a very clear idea how it will look like when it is built? Do i make sense? It is much more than combining the 3d max with architecture.But i think i can make good money at that only so wee :D I had a course i at uni was brilliant at it -but i went today to sign myself up at a nother course to get a DIPLOMA .I still need to know if it works with my uni course time or not. I hope it goes fine :D |
Ooh all these goals sound brilliant.
Mine is to go to a new sixth form and actually enjoy it :) |
Go Minty :D
|
:) I've been really scared about it, but I want to enjoy it there cause its a fresh start yknow, and if i'm not well enough then i won't be able to.
|
I want to finish a course, any course. I'm looking at 12 week psychology short courses. Somebody dare me to do it...
Great idea for a thread, by the way. Miranda. x |
Oh go on Miranda I dare you hon!
I'm sure you'll love it! I found Psychology to be so interesting! Any particular area of Psychology you're interested in? |
really love this thread, think it's a great idea. keep it up :)
|
You know, how odd, I was (mentally) debating this again today! I did none at school so I'm not really sure. I am interested in mental illness which is oh so original, huh?! But other than that, personality, and how our childhood affects us I find myself thinking about. Thank you for daring me, I am going to do it. I sign up soon and it starts Sept. :)
I also need to ring up about some volounteering with the elderly. Any more updates from anyone? xx |
Sounds great and actually Miranda I'm sure about 80% of people who are interested in psychology get interested in the mental illness side first. I think that's like the main thing psycholgy is known for and it's like the way in for a lot of people before they see just how broad psychology is as a subject. Is it an OU course you're thinking about?
Where are you thinking of volunteering for the elderly by the way? I was thinking of colunteering at Age Concern. |
I'm kind of glad you said that cause I've looked into mental health a lot due to me being ill and different diagnosises over the years so I know (or think I know) quite a bit, of the personal side of course.. but I still hope to learn more and broaden my horizons. It's actually weird cause I am terrified of learning and think 'what's the point?' (bad experiences at school) but cause I am so interested I don't feel the same way with this. :)
No, it's at bradford college, but it's only a 12 week 2 hour no exam thing, nothing big! Did you do it at school or college or? If you don't mind me asking? My connexions worker who is an absolute star got me in touch with a local community centre near me where old people can go for the day with activities, it sounds really good! What would you be doing at age concern? I did work in a help the aged shop last year which was ok. Unfortunately I had to leave cause of problems with my boss. |
I did it at college and I'm studying it at uni as well.
Yeah you're right hon, this sounds like it will have a different structure than school and it sounds like something you really want to do I think you'll really enjoy it! Hopefully (when I get round to sending my application off lol) I'll be working in the shop but I'll be giving advice and information to the people who come in so it should be interesting but it means I will have a lot to learn though! Roby-That does sound amazing hon, good luck! Did you find out if the diploma fitted in with your other course? Lea-Good for you hon! I kind of have the same goal when it comes to university. I reckon both of us deserve to have a good time!:-D |
Quote:
Any updates on goals or any new goals? |
I thought I might resurrect this for a while seeing as it's traditionally the time of year when we all make new goals. So what are the things people plan to achieve this year? They don't necessarily have to be ED related, just something that YOU as a person would like to accomplish above and beyond your ED?
Happy New Year to everyone! |
-Less binging. To help me with this I'm going to put away all the money I save from not eating loads of crap all the time and treat myself more often :)
-Hopefully this should lead to less purging... |
Sounds great, Kayl, what are you going to treat yourself with? :)
Guess what? I did (most of) my course!!! And I have a volunteering interview. (though it's been postponed by a wee bit but soon I hope). |
This year I want to improve my "photography"
and be able to wear little shorts and skirts in the summer like I used to, without feeling horrendously bad and comparing myself to everyone else. |
I'm not sure yet, probably CDs or something, but it will be nice not to spend all my student loan on food lol :)
|
Kayl how is your goal going sweetheart?
Have you bought any cool CD's yet? Miranda well done! Did you enjoy the course? Zara what kind of photos do you take? And good for you-you definitely should be able to enjoy wearing shorts! |
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:41 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.