Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 24-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
ella1
cant find the peace

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - stitches out, infected?

hi. after having my stitches out just now, i have come home and looked at it and the holes where the stitches went in (and came out) have little pockets of pus and are very red, sore and swollen, will this go in time? or is this infection?! having never had treatment for cutting before i'm not really sure what to expect. only saw the nurse for like 2mins and just said to look out for infection. it's very painful to touch but don't know if this is normal?! sorry if it's stupid question but i really don't know and don't want to have to bother my doctor again as i have only just been! if it is infected do i see my doctor or the nurse?! thanks in advance for anyone reading xxx

I'm NOT sick but i'm NOT well

Kija is my ryl twin xxx

ella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

Hi,

I don't know anything about stitches but this does sound like it could be an infection.

It is always best to go and talk to the doctor/nurse if you are concerned a wound may be infected and they will be able to advise you on the best course of treatment.

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

((deleted)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
ella1
cant find the peace

I am currently:

thanks, i don't know which one i make appt with tho? doc or nurse? xxx

Kija is my ryl twin xxx

Old 24-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Try the nurse practitioner, I think most surgeries have them. They can prescribe anti biotics if necessary or advice you on how to care for the wound if it is infected and dress it is needed.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Buttons.
Operator! Give me the number for 911!

I am currently:

It sounds infected to me-though stitched wounds are usually red and sore after having the stitches removed, I don't think that pus is at all normal.

Fucked up Insecure Neurotic Emotional
[No really, I'm fine.]

AimKaty <3
Always.

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

i've never had pus from a wound, however some lymph may be normal. lymph is a clear fluid and could have been forming around the stitches (crusties?) and a little could have come out now there's a hole again.

try seeing a nurse and they can check it and give your more aftercare advice, as yours seems to be inadequate.
mand x

Mand, 26, South Wales, Mummy to Chloe and jelly-baby Ella-Mae
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

This sounds infected. you need to get it looked at.
The nurse should be good enough or you can make an app with the doc its upto you who you prefare. You can also use a walk in centre if its easier than getting to the docs with it nearly being a weekend.

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Bitter_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Animad
First Aid Advisor

In addition to above, I would advice you get it checked out ASAP, this eve/ tomorrow because infection under your skin can cause a lot of problems as there will soon be no way for the pus to drain now which could be dangerous and so antibiotics would be needed if it is infected. You could also go to an NHS Minor Injuries Unit presuming you're from England

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
ella1
cant find the peace

I am currently:

im from south wales and don't know of anywhere but a and e on the weekend. thanks for replies. it may just be the 'lymph' as mandy said. i will see how it is tomorrow. the cut doesn't seem to have closed that well as there is a little hole i can see in, granted nothing like before but noticed how sore it is.

Kija is my ryl twin xxx

Old 24-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

minor injuries units are more like walk-ins. mand x

Mand, 26, South Wales, Mummy to Chloe and jelly-baby Ella-Mae
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Animad
First Aid Advisor

If the discharge smells/ is thick or yellow/ green in colour it needs to be checked out ASAP. Apart from A&E you will have access to an out of hours GP; if you ring up your regular doctors there answer phone will have the number of their out of hours provider on it; every surgery by law HAS to provide out of hours provision in terms of an Out of hours GP service or one of the doctors there doing out of hours work.

Lymph is clear, stickly and from being colourless to slightly pink to straw-coloured. It is really thin and pretty runny and has no smell. If the area is becoming more hot/ painful/ swlloen or you start to feel ill in terms of becoming dizzy/ getting a fever/ headachey you need to get checked out straight away or if you have tracking; red lines from the wound which run towards your heart.

Old 25-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
ella1
cant find the peace

I am currently:

ok thanks everyone. it's not so pus-y today but the stitches area are very red and swollen but no signs of tracking, will make an appt tho if it's not better by tomorrow. xxx

Kija is my ryl twin xxx

Old 25-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Animad
First Aid Advisor

Yeh, if you've got any feelings that it may be infected it needs to be checked out as you're really risking if it is then it closing over completely and having no drainage path. What I'm trying to say is you can leave it today as it can be normal to have a slight bit of swelling if the stitches pulled etc but if it gets worse or still isn't clearing by tomorrow, get it checked, don't wait and think "I'll wait and see if I get Tracking" as that is actually a symptom of septicaemia ("blood poisoning"), something which needs to be dealt with at A&E straight away and is very dangerous.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)