Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:
General Medical Question - Non Urgent - Infections

Grr, just typed this and it logged me out.

Anyhoo, in oct 2008 i OD, and ended up in hospital on a IV of saline/heartmans/potassium etc and ever since then i've had:

arm infection from IV - treated with flucloxicillin
lung infection - co-amoxiclav switched to oxytetracycline
urinary infection - celaflexin and trimethoprim
toe infection - flucloxacillin (but its still there as ive had problems with drs and couldnt get anymore anti-biotics)
Now i have symptoms of urinary infection again!!

Before oct, i have not had an infection since i was about 9, although i have been on a fair few antibiotics for acne. I just wondered whether these infections were coincidence or may be a sign ive done some damage. Or whether they're nothing to worry about. thanks x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Long term antibiotcis can weaken your immune system so having had so many infections and being on it for acne can make you more at risk from infection. It would be impossible for us to tell if this is due to your OD or from the lowered immune system.

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Bitter_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Okay thanks for the reply.

i've heard antibiotics shouldnt be used for trivial things because when you REALLY need them, your body would be immune (or something like that)... wouldnt that be a bit of a catch 22? If you had lots of infections and took lots of antibiotics, it would make you prone to more infections and you would need more antibiotics etc etc??

I also wondered whether its a sign im lacking vitamins or minerals or anythinig like that, or whether im just plain unhygienic? ( i didnt think i was that bad).. i dont know.. but thanks for replying x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

It can work like that with the whole needing more antibiotics thing but most people are healthy enough to fight off infections.

As for the hygiene if its water infections you are getting then perhaps be certain that you are wiping front to back as the back germs should not go anywhere near your front bits.

It might also be worth speaking to your doctor who can run a few tests to see how your immune system is holding up.

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Bitter_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)