Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 14-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Arianwen

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - stitches and blisters

I got stitches on some SH on Wednesday morning and now, my arm is fairly swollen, is gently raised all the way around the wounds and it hard to touch if that makes sense? It is a little warm, but I wouldn't describe it as hot. It also really really hurts, a dull ache most of the time and a sharp pain if I move my arm/wrist in the wrong direction.

I also have some blisters that I kinda filled with blood and blister liquid where I had steri strips before. The whole area itches.

Is there anything I can do about any of this?
Can I get the stitches wet, like have a shower?

Sorry, I know nothing aboiut this stuff.
Thanks

Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 15-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Arianwen

I am currently:

Ok... I just noticed that in a similar area, there seems to be a blister over the top of a scar? Like exactly over it? It's also kinda bloody/blistery. What is going on?!

Old 15-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Animad
First Aid Advisor

It's fairly normal to get blood blister type of things in healing scars. There is a high blood supply there close to the surface so any knock of it can damage that and cuase blood blister type things.

Has it been swollen since you got it stitched or has it worsened? When you say it's hard to touch do you mean because of the pain? Can you move your arm normally? The main may be due to the pulling of the stitches which is why it worsens when you move though due to the swelling, it may be that they have tightened up and so it would probably be worth going to an NHS Walk-in centre or back to wherever you got it stitched to see if the swelling is 'normal' and if the stitches are tight because if they are too tight (which can be caused just by swelling, not by them doing it wrong) then it can cause a lot of problems with regards to healing such as damaging or even killing the cells there. Though if the stitches aren't too tight that may not be the problem and the pain if it is not worsening may still just be from the original injury and the pulling on the stitches when you move which is normal. How bad is the swelling down your arm? Are your fingers discoloured and do you have normal feeling in them?

You should try and keep the stitches dry so either have a bath and keep he area out of the water or cover it in something waterproof whilst in the shower and remove it afterwards.

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Arianwen

I am currently:

You have reassured me about the blisters, thanks.

When I said hard to touch, I don't mean as in difficult, I mean as in the area is solid. The swelling is minimal this morning and my wrist and hand are finally at normal size. The bruise that extened from the stitched area down my wrist and into my palm is now a yellowish colour, execpt around the stitches were it is still a light red/purple. I am starting to wonder whether I bashed the area by mistake the night I did the injury (there was a fairly long period of unconciousness).

The pain is also reduced this morning (I am almost certain this is because most of the swelling has gone down) so I will see how it is, and pop to the GP on Monday if it's still not good.

Thanks for all your help

Old 15-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Animad
First Aid Advisor

If the area gets any more raised around the wound then you need to get looked at or if it becomes more painful at all. It may be a good idea to get an out of hours GP to look at it today actually as you may have an absess under where which is a build up of infection in a sealed area. These can be quite hard and can often show up under area's of stitches due to trapping in of infection. If it is just around the wound it could also be a reaction to the material they have used to stitch up the wound and that in itself needs to be looked into as it may mean they need to take them out and restitch it with somewhing else. The spreading of the wound and swelling of your arm may be signs of infection though could also be due to swelling in the area of the stitches affecting other processes

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Arianwen

I am currently:

Thank you :)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)