Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 25-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
lunalovegood

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - use of steri-strips

I am going to buy these butterfly-stitches called steri-strips tomorrow, because the edges of my wounds don't close properly and everytime I take the bandage of, I tear them open again because the wound gets caught up in the material (which is special stuff from the pharmacy) and it starts bleeding all over again and tears the edges even further apart.
First of all. Does anyone know any special material that prevents that from happening? It's really annyoing me, and since I can't leave the wound open all day long and I don't want my clothes to get stained, the only option I have is putting some kind of bandage over it.
The other question I have is, can you put the steri-strips over other cuts? Because there are other recent cuts in the vicinity to where the cuts that need to be closed are, and I am not sure how I should put them on in this case.
Oh and my cuts are not so bad that they would need stitches, just so you know.

Thanks for your help,

antsy_pants

Old 25-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Animad
First Aid Advisor

The best thing to use on wounds are "Non-Adherant Wound Pads" The trade name these often go by in the UK are Melolin. These are designed not to stick but sometimes if you put them on whilst the wounds are still bleeding the dried blood may cause them to a bit. If you cover the wound/dressing with anti-bacterial cream that should also prevent it from sticking.

Steri-strips are designed to close the edges of a wound and, so long as it isn't too wide/ the skin isn't pulled too much around it (such as on a joint) then they are pretty good.It is always best just to have them over the one that needs it but that may be hard depending how many you have close together.

You should also only steri-strip a wound in the first 24hours of cutting. This is because when a wound is open it is exposed to bacteria which can cause an infection. The longer the cut is open the more likely it is to become infected and therefore if you close it after a while then you are more likely to have an infection which you trap beneath the surface which isn't very good.

Steristrips should be put on across the wound(ie if a wound goes - way you'd put the strip l way so it ends up like +!). You start by putting one across the middle to close the wound a bit and then gradually put more on one at a time on either side of the middle one until you have the whole of the cut closed with them (does that make sense?). You should have a gap of about 2mm between each strip to allow any discharge to drain out of the wound. You should leave them in place for 7-10days to make sure the wound is fully healed.

You shouldn't get them wet or they fall off and you've got to make sure the wound doesn't get dirty (as with any cuts). To do this you can cover them in a water proof dressing; if you are in the UK the Opsite waterproof dressings. If you're not working anywhere dirty/going to get them wet though they do really well without a dressing on.

Sorry about the length, I don't know how I wrote that much!

Last edited by Animad : 25-05-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: changing bits!
Old 25-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
lunalovegood

I am currently:

Thanks for the reply and the description, it really helped, I think I know what to do when I'll have to use them.
I wasn't going to put the steri-strips on my old wounds, but I guess my new ones are going to be the same as the ones I have now are, so I just figured I'd describe the ones I have right now.
I don't live in the UK so the dressings probably won't have the same name, but I'll ask the pharmacist tomorrow.

Old 13-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
E666
Elliott

I am currently:

Yeah steristrips are cool got some on now i don't recommend this on cuts that are open atleast 5mm but i use super glue just pinch it together and add a drop but leave a gap for stuff to drain off otherwise i will act like a blister :) that's what i use :)

Old 21-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Animad
First Aid Advisor

I just want to say DON'T use superglue on wounds. It is NOT recommended at all. It is not designed for wounds and can cause a lot of damage. It is not the same as tissue glue which is used in the hospital and so should not be used as such and it is likely to damage any cells around and reduce the ability for the area to heal and potentially cause a lot of damage.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)