RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-08-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
silverlover
hurts_so_good

I am currently:
HELP! Please tell me if I'm the only one who does this...

Ok so I just got prescribed some meds that are HUGE! AND thats not even the 500 mg one that I will be working up to in 4 days. Anyways, I have a bit of a weird problem. Ever since I was little I could never ever swallow anything that wasn't chewed into mush. Sometimes I have to spit parts of my dinner out. It's so weird. My throat just closes up and I gag on whatever I am trying to swallow. Anyways everyone is mad at me because they spent all this money to get me these meds and I CANT swallow them without either fainting from the fear of choking or gaging to death. What the heck? HOW AM I EVER GOING TO GET BETTER IF I CANT EVEN SWALLOW THE THING THAT'S SUPPOSED TO HELP ME.

The worst part is, everyone thinks Im just overreacting and whining like a little baby....but I CANT help it. I tried for HOURS to swallow those damn things....and those are half the size of the ones that have been prescribed to me. They are just the testers.

Help.......

"I know what it's like to want to die.
How it hurts to smile.
How you try to fit in but you can't.
How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside."

silverlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
Stellata

I would suggest that you go back to your dr and ask if next time you can be prescribed those at a smaller dose size. You would have to take more of them, but they'd be less huge.

For now, is it possible that you can break the meds in half? If they are capsules, you might be able to open them and take the pieces inside. [some people do this when they are coming off meds very slowly].

I would suggest though that you ask your pharmacist for the best option, and tell your dr when you see them next, too.

Some relaxation exercises might also help.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
loopylucy08
*Becky*

I am currently:

I got this with tablets after I'd taken a few ODs. I just found that if I started to take any medication, I'd feel like it caught in my throat and I was gagging and I kno wot u mean about people thinking you're a wimp! I try and tell myself that ppl with like HIV have 2 take loads of tablets every day but it still doesn't help. I think a lot of medications are available in liquid form. Is this something u could ask yr doctor? Aside from that all I can really recommend is 2 try drinking at least one large glass of water with every tablet.

"The purest expression of pain is pain itself"
Lovin ya all my RYLelies!
PM me any time
Rebecca
xxx

loopylucy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Is there any way that you can mush them up and put them into water? I also think that it would be a good idea to talk to the person who prescribed them, there is often a liquid form of medicines for people who are unable to swallow tablets. Do you think that you could try swallowing small things whole and then work your way up? Also, if you take tablets with a lot of water then there will be more water than tablet and it will go down easier, if that makes sense.

I hope that you're alright. Let us know how things are for you and please get in touch any time. Take care. xxx

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
healingraine
Psalm 34

I am currently:

Many medications can be taken with apple sauce.
If it's a tablet, crush it, then sprinkle it on top of one spoonful of apple sauce, eat it in one bite, then drink an entire glass of water

if it's a capsule open it and pour it on the applesauce...

SI free solely by the grace of God!
August 2, 2007

healingraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Doesnt_matter
Judith

Since I have been 16, I couldn´t swallow any meds but then, I had to take the pill for ca. a year and well, since then I can swallow pills.
No more crying and throwing up!
It may sound stupid but I got used to take pills and now, I can even swallow bigger meds with hardly any water.
The first times are hard but after a time you will get used to it.
What helps a lot is to take them when you are on your own and you can relax as much as you can...no pressure and a lot of time is important!

Take care,
Judith

I can't control my destiny.
I trust my soul. My only goal is just to be.
(Rent)

I'm selfish, inpatient and a little insecure.
I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. (Marilyn Monroe)

Doesnt_matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I can't swallow tablets. I'm on liquid meds, but on one occassion I had no option but to take a tablet, so the nurses put it in yogurt and I managed to swallow it.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)