Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:
Mirtazapine stopping working? And insomnia?

I've heard stories about this med just stopping working overnight. I've been on 45mg for a few months, and it's been absolutely great until recently. I say that, but I guess my change of situation hasn't helped. I'm very lonely and bored most of the time, which makes me somewhat self destructive and depressed at the best of times, so I can't really say if that's me or the meds.

However, normally, I've been sleeping about 12 hours a night on it. Normally, it took an hour or two to kick in, but more recently it's been about 6. I'd take them about 10pm and get to sleep around 4am, wake up 4pm. Horribly depressing routine. And tonight I took them, and it's been a bloody nightmare. Haven't slept a wink. My mind and my body are both crying for sleep, yet somehow I'm completely awake, racing thoughts, my body is as awake is it ever gets these days. I just have a horrible feeling this isn't a one off, and this is the way it's going to be. I just want to cry because I haven't slept, but I can't.

I've always suffered from chronic insomnia, and the mirtazapine helping me sleep was such a relief after so many years of trying different drugs and nothing working. I was wondering if insomnia was one of the symptoms of it stopping working.

Cheers.

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

rockaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

it would be best to speak to your doctor about this
meds effect people different
the docor would be able togive you more info on whats going on xx

Some days are still hard but they make the good days seem all the better :)

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

I don't have a doctor at the moment hun, I'm not in my uni town right now and don't really have enough money to go back until I actually move back. I know I need to speak to a doc, but the temporary GP I saw here was a complete bitch so I'm exactly not keen to go back... I was just hoping for some experiences since I'd heard from others on here that it can stop working randomly.

Old 18-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

could you call your doctor that u used to see?
for me mirtazapine never worked at all so i cant really give much advice x

Some days are still hard but they make the good days seem all the better :)

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

I wish I had a regular doctor to call :( I normally see someone different every time I go, so I never really build up a relationship with any one GP, I wish I did. And on top of that, MH services have been completely unhelpful, saying I don't need to see someone since I hav a diagnosis and am on meds, so I have no psych either. It's like everyone kind of just wants to push me to one side...

To be honest, I'm probably making a massive deal out of just one night, it's just really unsettling that something that worked so well for 6 months has just, eh.

Last edited by rockaroni : 18-08-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Old 18-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
sherlock holmes
It's just a trick. A magic trick.

Yep, I was on mirtazapine and it just suddenly stopped working after nine months. It was upped twice to 45mg and still nothing. I had to switch to trazodone.

I'm laughing, I'm crying, Sherlock is dying.
//
You think, as you walk away from Le Cirque des RÍves and into the creeping dawn, that you felt more awake within the confines of the circus.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.

Contact the Supporters

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
Sneckie
RYL First Aid Advisor

I am currently:

Fir sleeping purposes Mirtazapine is most effective at 15mgs , its only supposed to have a dose increase for the anti-depressant properties

Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain."

Kahlil Gibran

Sneckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

I was never on 15 actually, I was put straight into 30mg. Which completely knocked me out, I could barely function. 45mg still always made me sleep, it just meant I wasn't fuzzy all day.

Old 28-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
sherrylouz

insomnia

I also suffered from insomnia. I usually go to my bed at 9 PM but until 3 AM in the morning, I'm still awake and the next day, it ruin my life. I can't do my regular work everyday. And I'm like a zombie. But one day, i consult to my doctor and he told me that I have to eat healthy foods and try to exercise everyday to relax your mind and body. He explain to me that insomnia is sometimes cause by stress in our daily work(work in office). So, now I decided that I need to avoid my self to be stress.

sherrylouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
whirlpools

I am currently:

Could you perhaps try taking your Mirtazapine at around 6pm? I have no idea if this would help and you might have to speak to a doctor to make sure it's okay first, but it might make you tired enough to sleep earlier.

Don't lose heart just yet; maybe you're going through a more difficult time and that's made you feel worse at the moment. Try not to get too upset because the more you worry that you won't sleep tonight, the harder it will be. I've got this sleep machine which helps me, it emits a lavender smell and plays different sounds (ocean, birdsong and stuff). It might be too small a thing to help you while your mind is racing so much, but it could be worth looking for one on eBay for the future.

I would recommend signing up with a temporary doctor because you might not see the same person you went to last time. And if it does end up being the same doctor, take someone with you for support - I find they're less likely to be bitchy if you've got witnesses! xxx

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music".
Sweet dreams are made of cheese
Who am I to dis a brie?

whirlpools is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)