RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:
MRI Scans

I had an MRI scan when I was 18 to rule out a physical cause for psychosis (back when I was diagnosed with schizophrenia) and it came back as normal as far as I know.

I started having seizures last year (at 21 years old) and then diagnosed with epilepsy soon after. No prior seizures at all. Pseudoseizures/non-epileptic seizures have been ruled out.

So my question is, could things have changed since I was 18? Like could something have randomly developed in my brain in the last 4 years?

I know I should ask a doctor, just wondered if it was possible to have a normal MRI and then something develop that would show up now.

Also, is an MRI any different from a CT scan?

Thanks!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

Yes, unfortunately, it can happen like this. It can even be a difference if months. One day a scan is normal and after a while, an anomaly could have appeared.

From what I know epilepsy can appear very suddenly, and many times, there's not even an apparent cause.

And yes, there is a difference between a CT and a MRI scan. Basically a MRI offers more indepth information, a more detailed scan. Many times doctors ask.for a MRI after doing a CT where something shows up but is unclear what it is etc. Here you can find out more about MRIs

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks for that :)

I've had a few CT scans in the last year and nothing showed up on them I don't think, so I suppose there wouldn't be a great deal of point doing an MRI....

Must just be one of those things. Just getting sick of not knowing what caused it!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 11-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
TimesLikeThese

Just wanted to say that I had a normal MRI but was still diagnosed with epilepsy, so it doesn't necessarily mean that something will have changed in the past few years for you. Share your pain of not knowing what has caused it though! Sometimes, as bad as it sounds, I wish they had found something on the MRI and then at least I would know there was/is an actual obvious physical cause.

Take care.

Moved on. Take care.

TimesLikeThese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I know, just wondered if it could have changed.

I know what you mean, feels like it would be easier to treat if they knew exactly what was causing it and where in the brain it was coming from.

Thank you

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I next see him in February, we do get on well but he won't do further tests if my seizures are under control. Which is fair enough because tests are expensive and if the seizures are becoming less frequent with meds then there's no need. But still a bit frustrating because I just want to know what's caused it.
It means quite a lot because a fair few of the mental health symptoms (like dissociation and mood issues) that I experience could be caused by epilepsy and not actually a mental health problem.
Because thinking about it really, my mental health changed dramatically shortly before I started having seizures.
Probably making weird connections because I'm tired but it does fit.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #7
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

How often do you see the neurologist and could you see him more often? It sounds like there's a lot of unknowns. Ultimately though, not all your symptoms can be explained by the epilepsy - you've been seriously ill since you were ?14, and the epilepsy is recent (and you've treated your body pretty recklessly over the last decade).

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I see him every 6 months as things are going pretty well seizure-wise. And my GP has permission to increase meds up to a point so there's been no need to see him more often. Although my GP can get hold of him pretty easily. But they won't do anything if the seizures are under control.

I started getting ill when I was about 12. First admission was 14. Even so, my mental health changed a great deal shortly before I started having seizures. Mainly my mood issues, I only started getting the more bipolar-like symptoms then. And there's a strong link between epilepsy and mood disorders apparently.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 13-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Are the seizures under control? You're still having them, but I'm not that familiar with seizures.

Yes, that's a good point (the up and down mood, extremes, are more recent I think) though some of the symptoms have been around longer.

Old 13-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'm not entirely sure when epilepsy is considered under control tbh. Like it was written down that I had 'uncontrolled epilepsy' but that was a while ago.
They've definitely reduced in frequency by a lot.
At the beginning I was having several seizures a week and before the last one it had been 2 months without one.

Some things I have lived with for years, but I seem to have more mood episodes than mood swings these days.
Suppose it's impossible to tell whether it's the epilepsy or just me though.
I hate all this unknown stuff.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 14-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #11
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I imagine there will be a point where it settles down though, and it does seem to be moving in the right direction with less and less frequent seizures.

Old 14-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #12
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

It's definitely settled down a hell of a lot.
It's just really unnerving how it just started happening. It's like, what else could I randomly develop?!
What if I actually have got a lesion or something on my brain that's causing it?

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 15-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #13
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

You've had so many tests, that's very unlikely.
And epilepsy has a special symptoms on EEGs and bloods that are unique. You see a neurologist - he'll have done a differential before settling on epilepsy, not just picked the first thing that fit.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)