RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #41
MeganB
Love is and always will be.

I am currently:

Bad idea in my opinion. I'm guessing that transgender people want to be accepted as who they are. Having a transgender changing room is like...segregation in my opinion. Like, oh no you cant belong to any of these genders so lets separate you. I don't think a trans person should feel different or unaccepted. I understand their reasoning but its just not practical and not very fair to those not wanting to scream at the world they are a supposed 'third gender'.

----------------------------------------------
''I can see it. This one moment when you know you're not a sad story.
You are alive.
And you stand up and
see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder.
And you're listening to that song on that drive
with the people you love most in this world.
And in this moment, I swear...We are infinite.''
-----------------------------------------------

MeganB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #42
Isoverity

I am currently:

"College OKs transgender man’s full monty to underage girls in womens’ locker room"

Citing state nondiscrimination law, officials at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington are standing by their decision to let a 45-year-old student with a penis use the women’s locker room, and walk naked in front of girls as young as six...

“Clearly, allowing a person who is biologically a man to undress and expose himself to young girls places those girls at risk for emotional distress and harm,” Hacker’s letter to Evergreen reads, according to the Seattle Weekly. “Any reasonable person would view this as dangerous to the young girls involved. The fact that this individual was sitting in plain view of young girls changing into their swimsuits puts you and Evergreen on notice of possible future harm.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/06/co...#ixzz2C4NosTTF

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #43
Minotaur
Cogito, ergo sum

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
Citing state nondiscrimination law, officials at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington are standing by their decision to let a 45-year-old student with a penis use the women’s locker room, and walk naked in front of girls as young as six...

“Clearly, allowing a person who is biologically a man to undress and expose himself to young girls places those girls at risk for emotional distress and harm,” Hacker’s letter to Evergreen reads, according to the Seattle Weekly. “Any reasonable person would view this as dangerous to the young girls involved. The fact that this individual was sitting in plain view of young girls changing into their swimsuits puts you and Evergreen on notice of possible future harm.”
If the newspaper here is telling the truth about this trans woman "walking naked" in front of everyone, then she was definitely in the wrong and should not have done that. However, I'm not convinced by this story: most trans women are very self-conscious about their bodies and would not be simply exposing themselves like that if they hadn't had surgery. Journalists do frequently add untrue details to the story to spice it up, and get away with it remarkably often.

Trans people who haven't yet had surgery should at least change in a secluded part of the changing room, but should still not be forced to use the changing room of their assigned sex if they're living full-time in their new gender role because they would then be putting themselves at risk of attack. Maybe having a unisex changing room for all to use would be useful after all.

Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #44
makedamnsure

I am currently:

A lot of swimming pools (in uk at least) are now unisex
- mostly to allow families to change together. When I was little my dad took me swimming a lot, at three years old it was obviously unsafe for me to change on my own in the ladies, and utterly inappropriate for him to use the ladies changing rooms so he had to take me into the men's. it certainly hasn't done me any damage being exposed to naked men at that age, but did cause some problems of the "how old is old enough to change alone". the new unisex style changing rooms do make sense to me (all individual cubicles and some larger "family" cubicles) but then makes me wonder if its only breeding more insecurities in people to reinforce that being seen naked is something disgusting or whatever

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #45
Crazy Cupcakes

I am currently:

We have unisex loos at uni. It was one of the big topics which came up in the sabbatical officer elections- one candidate promised to get rid of them, the other promised to keep them. Personally, I got sick of walking in on men who keep forgetting to lock the door so I don't ever use the loo at uni now so I must say that I voted to change them to single-sex loos, but I don't think it's entirely appropriate to have a trans-gender option, it's like you're segregating an entire group of people! I don't see why they can't choose which changing room they feel most comfortable in - it wouldn't bother me, and if it bothers someone else then that is their problem and they should leave in my opinion.

Crazy Cupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 03:36 AM   #46
Minotaur
Cogito, ergo sum

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cupcakes View Post
We have unisex loos at uni. It was one of the big topics which came up in the sabbatical officer elections- one candidate promised to get rid of them, the other promised to keep them. Personally, I got sick of walking in on men who keep forgetting to lock the door so I don't ever use the loo at uni now so I must say that I voted to change them to single-sex loos, but I don't think it's entirely appropriate to have a trans-gender option, it's like you're segregating an entire group of people! I don't see why they can't choose which changing room they feel most comfortable in - it wouldn't bother me, and if it bothers someone else then that is their problem and they should leave in my opinion.
Wait, are you at the LSE, by any chance? If so, I heard on the Twittersphere that there was a massive controversy about that there.

I know York and Cardiff Universities both have unisex loos in addition to male/female ones. I don't agree with getting rid of male/female loos, but I do agree with adding one cubicle for gender-variant people (kind of like a disabled toilet).

Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #47
Crazy Cupcakes

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
Wait, are you at the LSE, by any chance? If so, I heard on the Twittersphere that there was a massive controversy about that there.

I know York and Cardiff Universities both have unisex loos in addition to male/female ones. I don't agree with getting rid of male/female loos, but I do agree with adding one cubicle for gender-variant people (kind of like a disabled toilet).
Nope :)

The argument of one of the sabbatical candidates here was that no unisex loos was discriminatory.

Crazy Cupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)