RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:
Trans-Gender changing rooms?

Just heard about some Scottish minister who is thinking of introducing third changing rooms in public places, from schools to pools. Male, Female and now Transgender.
The idea isn't being put forward just yet, as they're looking to wrk out some of the finer details first.

Their thinking is equality and recognition of modern sexuality. Just because a person is biologically born male or female doesn't mean they should be forced into areas they probably aren't comfortable. They shouldn't be pigeon-holed and assigned based on their biology rather that what they feel is true.
This person thinks that trans-gender persons will behave in a changing room much the same as anyone else; they will change their clothes and mind their own business and won't be observing others around them for any kind of thrill or arousal.

Trans persons will be able to use facilities in comfort, knowing they are simply around other trans persons. No judgement, no discomfort.

I don't think I've explained it very well, it was a little more eloquent when I heard it on the news.

Personally I'm against such a thing simply because how would you ensure its only trans persons using the changing room? any pervert wanting a quick and easy look at someone getting changed could just wander in. A sign on the door isn't some magic shield that only lets the right people enter.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

I just feel like its more segregation rather than intergration!x

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I think changing rooms that offer cubicals are probably a better way forward. I know it's not the same, but in the 18 months I knew I was gay, but hadn't come out yet. i changed in the cubical part of the changing room because I thought my team - mates would hate me for changing with them once they knew I was gay. Turns out they didn't care in the slightest, but still :P

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
On.My.Way
Dare To Believe

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlebone View Post
I just feel like its more segregation rather than intergration!x
Agreed - I think it's kind of saying 'you're different, we don't want you in our changing rooms so have your own.'

Some might find it helpful, but I think it might do more harm than good.

QK <3

On.My.Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Also agree with Liv.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
The One Who

I am currently:

Why would a trans-male and trans-female feel automatically comfortable around one another, just because they are both trans?

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfDeduction View Post
Agreed - I think it's kind of saying 'you're different, we don't want you in our changing rooms so have your own.'

Some might find it helpful, but I think it might do more harm than good.
This sums it up for me.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I agree with the above points about segregation and the idea that a trans-male and a trans-female might not be comfortable changing in front of one another. I'd also wonder exactly how much demand there is. Here on RYL we get pretty much all the colours of the rainbow in terms of sexuality to the point that LGBT people probably outnumber straight people, so it can be easy to forget that in the outside world, transgendered people are a tiny minority. A trans changing room would be empty 99% of the time.

Also, don't most changing rooms have cubicles? If a trans-female isn't comfortable changing in front of other women, what's to stop her using the cubicles in the women's changing room? A third changing room is entirely unnecessary, surely.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Transgendered people want to be accepted as the sex they transition to. So why would they want to be segregated into trans only changing rooms and so on?

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Scaredy-cat
I am the very model of a modern major general

I am currently:

I dont really think its necessary so long as there are cubicles. Mind you, if there were transgender cubicles i bet there'd be way less queues for them when places were busy, and inwould probably end up just using them. I already get changed wherever when i lose patience. Including a side street in oxford once. So i dont really see the need at all

He was no longer jean valjean but no. 24601 -les miserable

Some of life's mysteries will never be solved, such as why, after spending an entire evening listenong to Bach, do I find myself humming "the birdie song".......

I am reaching, but i fall, and the stars are black and cold, as i stare into the void of a world that cannot hold- les miserables

Scaredy-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
Ninja Orange

I am currently:

I am also for the cubicle idea. I'm getting the feeling that this suggestion is more for the comfort of cisgendered people who may not be completely comfortable with the idea of a biologically opposite sex person changing next to them because they identify as that gender. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the general population, if not the majority, find the idea of transgender weird/uncomfortable.

Ninja Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Fry

I am currently:

I don't have anything to add, but have noticed that there's a lot of these transgender themed stories in the news. It's become quite the little media trend at the moment!

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Scaredy-cat
I am the very model of a modern major general

I am currently:

Plus, it would be really tricky to decide if people can just use the ones for the gender they've become once they've finished transitioning, or at what point they could, or would you just make them stay in the transgendered ones even when they were fully whatever they'd become. Thats just such a complicated issue.

He was no longer jean valjean but no. 24601 -les miserable

Some of life's mysteries will never be solved, such as why, after spending an entire evening listenong to Bach, do I find myself humming "the birdie song".......

I am reaching, but i fall, and the stars are black and cold, as i stare into the void of a world that cannot hold- les miserables

Scaredy-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
makedamnsure

I am currently:

Most swimming baths near me have done away with "male" and "female" changing rooms altogether and just have cubicles that either/any sex can use. This was mostly done for families - for example, my Dad used to take me swimming which would mean I had to change in the mens changing room, or change on my own in the female one.

Personally I hate changing in front of anyone anyway, so cubicles work great.

Equally many toilets in bars/nightclubs aren't really male or female anymore, there's communal sinks and just a divide between the toilet cubicles and the urinals.

Do away with seperating male and female altogether then trans people aren't being seperated either.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Lluviazul
m-t

I am currently:

transgender people should be allowed to change in the dressing room of the gender they identify with.

Lluviazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
crazykat
Fight for another day

I agree with Liv, it's more pointing out that they are different. I think they should be allowed to change where they feel comfortable

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

I can't believe this has become a real suggestion!

Transgender people should be welcome in whatever sex changing room they identify themselves as, they're hardly going to want to use both and they should be recognised as their sex, not something in between or 'different'. Ridiculous!

On a side note, most facilities have 'family changing' surely that would suffice to this stupid idea anyway.

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluviazul View Post
transgender people should be allowed to change in the dressing room of the gender they identify with.
A good idea. But imagine, say, how many men would just openly stare at a woman undressing in front of them.
Sexuality wouldn't come into it for them. They'd just way want their cheap thrill.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I think "Unisex" (with cubicles) would be a good idea; it would allow a mother to take her children in together, and not make things so obviously "You're different, go away."

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

at a university of someone i know, they have gender neutral toilets.

seems relevant, if its not, then feel free to kick me out of discussion!!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)