Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 28-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
Voldemort

Clozapine/clozaril

I just saw my dr and he wants to put me on this for my low mood and supposedly psychotic symptoms. I was just wondering if anyone else has taken it and what their experiences have been.

I'm slightly concerned as constipation has been listed as a side effect and I quite often suffer severely from this as a result of meds. Also bed wetting and night time drooling are also a bit disturbing to me.

Voldemort is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 28-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

I'm on clozapine. It has worked wonders for me. I haven't had any episodes since I got put on it.
Constipation is a side effect but easily treated. I used to take lactulose as well as senna tablets and it worked well. I don't get the constipation any more though.
When I was on it before at 15 years old, I did wet the bed, but again easily treated with a nose spray, think it was called desmopressin or something. But this time round I've had no bedwetting. Drooling is something I do get, but if I remember rightly, something like procyclidine can help with that.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
tamobhuuta

I am currently:

I've been on clozapine over 5 years and it's worked well. I now take it combined with lithium and Depakote. The worst side effects for me have been weight gain, tiredness and hypersalivation. I take kwells for the drooling but there's not much I can do about the other two.

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
Voldemort

Has it helped your mood at all? I'm not convinced I'm psychotic so I'm not worried about that. I'm also on lithium at the moment too.

Thanks. I think the drooling seems to affect most people from what I've heard. I don't tend to suffer from drowsiness on medication so I'm hopeful that won't be an issue. I am a tad concerned about wetting the bed though as I'm in hospital at the moment.

Lactulose has no effect on me when I'm constipated from medication which is the one I'm most concerned about right now. How long did it take to wear off?

Thanks both of you.

Old 28-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

It's helped my mood, without a doubt.

The constipation lasted about a month. It doesn't affect me now.
I know wetting the bed is a worry. I was scared it was going to happen to me again. But I know there are ways to treat it if it does happen.
And if it's any help at all, I know loads of people on clozapine from hospital and supported housing and not one of them has had bedwetting.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 28-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
Voldemort

Ok, that's very reassuring, thanks Beckie.

Old 28-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Voldemort

Oh and also, are the blood tests as long winded as the Internet makes them sound? Every week for 18 weeks etc?

Old 28-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Unfortunately the blood tests are a pain.
As you said, once a week for 18 weeks, then it goes to 2 weeks and then a month.
I don't mind going to get my bloods done because they take bloods all day so they're pros at getting blood first time. And I also have a good chat and a laugh with the nurses. And it means I get out of the house for a while!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 28-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #9
Voldemort

I don't mind blood tests but I may have to come into town for them which is a half hour trip both ways which could be a pain. I was talking to someone here who's on it and she only got weekly bloods for four weeks so I guess I'll find out if I go on it. Also I have bad veins so that could be fun.

Old 28-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
tamobhuuta

I am currently:

i didn't think I had mood issues but the psych did so they put me on lithium. I still don't think I have mood issues but my positive symptoms are lifting.

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

I know the feeling. I have to go to another town for mine which is an hour each way. But I use it as an opportunity to get myself a nice coffee before heading back home!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 28-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I'm not on this medication but have worked with many people who have been.

Things that helped them was no liquids an hour before bed and using the toilet last thing at night.
Drooling seems to be more of a problem at night so using a small towel on the pillow is helpful for them.
And in terms of constipation there are loads of medications to treat that even long term. So it would be good to establish what may work for you. Also drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day and exercise helps you go more regularly.

When I did my mental health nurse training I did a training course in the clozapine clinic and they said the intervals at which bloods are needed depends on your bodies response to the medication. For some weekly bloods may be for 18 weeks. For other a stable state cane be reached in 4-6weeks. So the 18 weeks may not be set in stone till you know how you react physically to it.

I have also seen it used in patients with mood disorders as it dose have some evidence in treatment resistant unstable mood.

I have seen a few cases where clozapine was just not appropriate however most people I have know who take it have had many positive results on regards to their mental health.

Also it is one of those medication which requires consent because it only comes in tablet form. Not like a depot which can be forced upon someone. So if you find you can't tolerate the side effects it is something you can discuss with your prescribing Dr.
I guess I'm just saying it's worth trying because it can be changed to something else if you don't feel it's helpful or that you can't tolerate the side effects.

Best of luck

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Voldemort

I have low mood at the moment which is what he's hoping it'll help so yeah. I'm not sure.

Thanks tamb, Beckie and Kate, you've all been very useful. I'll have a think about it. It just seems very heavy duty and the men are telling me it's poison so idk.

Old 28-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #14
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I think the men are telling you its poison because they know the medication will actually work and they will likely fade into the background!

Its worth a shot, it can work wonders for so many people and it might be the thing to get you out of hospital and back home having a good quality of life. You wont know until you try!

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #15
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

I've had pretty bad constipation from pain killers before. For me, the only thing to shift it has been prune juice. It really is a god send!

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)