Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
chinahorse

I am currently:
How do you get the best from a psychiatrist appointment?

I have an appointment on Wednesday. The last appointment I had with a different doctor left me feeling appalling and very invalidated. I tend to get very tongue tied and shut down and give one word answers.

However I want this appointment to be different. I want to be able to get some use out of it. The appointment is mainly to discuss antipsychotics. I want to be able to ask some questions and get across how badly I need things to change as my behaviour due to supposed 'voices' is getting more risky and Im due to start uni next week.

Does anyone have any advice, further than 'just be honest' because I try but often I fail miserably at that.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

I used to feel like this too, 1 word, closed off, clammy, nervous. Now though, I try to go in thinking of her as someone who is there to offer me a service, kind of like getting your car fixed, (obviously its more important than that but that's the way I think of it, to make it easier), She is there to help you get the best out of your medication. It's not a power trip of who's who. I try & rehearse what I want to say before hand & build myself up for it. I also try & write down what I want to say, & hand it over if possible, if not, I read it to myself in the waiting room so I go in with a refreshed idea of what I want to say & what I want her to understand & the outcome I would like. I try & think about all the questions she might ask me & come up for answers before hand so I'm not left tongue tied & stuff for words when/if she asks those questions.

Try to remember she is there to help you, not force anything on you, & you have every right to say how you want your treatment to go & how she can help you. She can't help you if she doesn't know what's going on, so do your best to be as open & honest as possible, If you get upset during the appointment, that's okay too.

x x x

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

There is a website called docready.org that is for helping with a first GP appointment for mental health issues.

It might help you prepare for your psychiatrist appointment.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Will the new CPN be there at the appointment? If so maybe you could talk to her in advance about the main points you want to raise so that she can prompt you in the appointment if needed.

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
chinahorse

I am currently:

Thanks Helen thats a good way to think of it, like she is there to help me and I have nothing to 'prove' to her. Im going to spend some time now trying to think up proprly what I want to ask and say.

I shall have a look at that site, thanks lovely.

She will be yes Jenna but I missed the chance to speak to her about it as the appointments tomorrow. She does know I have questions I want to ask though.

Old 22-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
chinahorse

I am currently:

I cant go Im really scared. Its all going ot go wrong. The men are really angry I cant think straight.

Old 22-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

This is exactly why you DO need to go. I know it's really scary and can feel impossible. I know the anxiety beforehand and how it's easier just not to go. But you know yourself you need to. Is there any way you could ring your CPN beforehand? Perhaps somebody could ring for you? Just to tell him/her how scared you are - they might be able to pick you up or offer some reassurance.

It'll be okay. She is there to help you and understand you - that is what she wants and it is her job. Have you got any PRN medication you can take to help right now?

Be brave. Honestly, you CAN do this and it is important that you do. Have you written some things down you can take with you incase you struggle to talk? Have you got something which can distract you at the moment? (For example cuddling my dog always makes me feel better). Keep posting if it helps. And good luck.

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
chinahorse

I am currently:

I have some lorazepam so am taking that as prescribed.

But the last dr I saw was horrible to me and my old cpn just sat there and let him be horrible to me and took his side. Which means I am evil as the men say I am.

Right now Im alternating between eating ice and drinking hot tea because I feel very vulnerable to disccociation.

Im going to ask about medications that dont make me fat, appetite increase is ok but affecting metabolism isnt. Then say if I can take it once a day instead of twice a day thatd be better. Im going to try and discuss that taking them is hard becasue they stop my powers and make the men angry, I found it easy to stay on haloperidol and quetiapine because they made the men less intense its just the fatness and lactation that made me come off it. I come off the others because the men tell me too so maybe if they were working that wouldnt happen? I dot want to get fat, I couldnt stand to get big again. Its complicated and Im sorry Im nt making much sense.

Old 22-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

It makes sense to me. You have a clear idea of what you want to get out of your appointment which is really good. It's awful when Dr's are horrible - it can make everything worse. But not everybody is like that and personally I find women nicer than men. My current psychiatrist is female and she's absolutely wonderful and very kind and understand. Is your new CPN any better? I know it's really really scary but you can do this. Taking some lorazepam might not be a bad idea.

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
chinahorse

I am currently:

Ive yet to find one that understands about the men which makes it all worse.
My new CPN is nice but I havent really discussed a lot with her. Im thinking of not going. Its better to not go and things stay as they are. They might get worse if I do go.

Old 22-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #11
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

Yes, it is a risk. If you go, they might get worse. If you don't go, nothing will change and you aren't giving yourself the chance to make things better xx

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #12
chinahorse

I am currently:

I cant cope or calm down I feel so out of control

Old 22-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #13
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

Have you taken some lorazepam? It can take up to an hour to kick in. What usually helps when you feel like this? What normally helps you to relax?

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
chinahorse

I am currently:

I have yes.
I cant think. I might get a cup of tea. And promise to sit safe until holby city is ovr.

Old 22-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #15
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

A cup of tea always makes me feel better! Perhaps you could try and drink it mindfully to really focus on the heat and taste and feel each sip going down your throat etc. Setting yourself targets like that is a great idea too - perhaps once you get to the end of holy city you could find another you feel is achievable? I'm so sorry you're finding it so tough but you're doing all the right things. Perhaps someone else has better advice as this is **** but I care

Terry Pratchett

Old 23-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #16
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Hope today goes ok.

How are you feeling about the appt today?

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #17
chinahorse

I am currently:

I went. She was nice, said I seemed very disconnected from the world which fits as I feel dissociatey. Said something about looking into cbt. I have a new medication to start and am seeing her every 6 weeks.

Old 23-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #18
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

I'm so so proud of you for going. Honestly, WELL DONE. I'm glad she was nice and that she's arranged new medication and is looking into CBT, and that she is going to see you regularly. Have a cup of tea on me!

Terry Pratchett

Old 23-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Super proud of you!!! *Gold star!*

x x x

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #20
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

well done pumpkin <3

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)