RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 16-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
Voldemort

ECT

So, the next step for me is ECT apparently. I'm going through all the investigations for it right now and I'm not sure when it's due to start but I'm kind of terrified.

I know all the clinical stuff about it. I've never had a general anaesthetic before so I'm worried about that and I'm worried about losing some of my memories. I guess I'm just looking for first hand accounts from people who have been through it and some general reassurance.

Old 17-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Horizon

I am currently:

I had ECT when I was 18, and again when I was 22.
Anesthesia made me feel floaty and dizy and it took me longer than expected to actually go under. That was when I was 18. (But I had an undiagnosed and underlying balance disorder, so that may have contributed to the dizziness).

When I was 22, it seemed to go better: I didn't even know it had hit me.

You'll feel groggy when you wake up, but a nurse will be there to reorient you and give you something to drink, etc. I think the longest part is the waiting for your turn to have the procedure and then waking up enough to be released to your home (with someone else driving you, of course).

You might feel sluggish and uncoordinated, might have a headache, stuff like that, the day of.
Some short term memory loss is common...I never stuck with ECT for long because of my fear of anesthesia (again, my experience with anesthesia is apparently not common) so I don't know if memory loss increases the longer you have ECT.

Then again, my normal memory is spotty, but I didn't notice anything too bad. When I had ECT when I was 18, as soon as I woke back up, I remembered the nurse's name and stuff like that and staff were confused by how I remembered all that.

Old 17-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Voldemort

Thanks Horizon. I'm currently ip so don't have to worry about getting to or from the hospital as the nurses will take me.

I have the pre anaestesthia clinic tomorrow and then I guess I'll find out if and when it's going ahead.

Old 17-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
Rodolphus
#Azkafam

I've no personal experience, but just wanted to say that I have a good friend who had ECT after years in hospital and trying every therapy and medication combo they could throw at her, and it was the ECT that changed her life and had a huge positive impact on her wellbeing.
It's understandable that you're nervous, it's a scary concept really, but you have a lot of support and it could be really beneficial for you love.

Your loyal subject,
Roddy.

Now I'll play your ghost as my ace, whenever I'm led astray.
But I am actually good, can't help it if we're tilted.
I'm in my right place, don't be a downer.

Old 18-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I've not had ECT but I've been under general anaesthetic three times. With me the put an oxygen mask on my face, and a needle in the back of my hand. They gave me something to relax me, all the while talking to me, then said they would give me the medication to make me go to sleep. It only took me about 8 seconds or so to go to sleep. You feel kind of heavy, maybe a bit drunk, then you just sink into the sleep.

When I woke up I didnt remember being asleep or having any dreams. It was just like I was awake in the pre-op room then awake in the recovery room with no in between. When you wake up you will probably still feel a bit sedated and sluggish. If you feel sick they will give you something. It's best just to lie there and doze, all your vitals get monitored by the nurse. Then when you're more awake you will be given something to eat back on the ward. Pretty quickly it wears off and you go back to normal, can walk about etc. You will probably have a bit of a headache.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

Old 18-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
tamobhuuta

I'm having ECT. I still get nervous beforehand but it is OK. One minute you're being given oxygen, the next you are back in the waiting room. It can take a while to remember where you are etc. I think it is helping.

Old 18-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Voldemort

Thanks everyone. The clinic today was fine. Just waiting on results of the MRSA test and then I think I get the green light. I have my team meeting tomorrow so will probably find out then when I'm likely to get it. I desperately want to get out of hospital and this is the last chance type thing so I hope it starts soon and I will only need a few sessions.

Old 19-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #8
Juella
Valerie

I am currently:

It's good to know the clinic is being fine. Good luck with starting ECT!

Old 19-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
tamobhuuta

Good luck!

Old 20-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Hope it's helpful.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

Old 23-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #11
Voldemort

Thanks everyone. I start this Thursday. I'm not sure how I feel about it right now. I'm having thoughts of just screaming no I don't want it.

Old 23-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

That's understandable. Is there someone you can ask questions if you're needing a bit of reassurance?

Old 24-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #13
Voldemort

I don't even know that it's reassurance I need. I know the process and procedure and everything. I know it's a good treatment. I know the risk of long term side effects are low. I just want to go home. The thought of spending potentially another month/month and a half in here is just overwhelming.

Old 24-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Maybe if the treatment starts to help you'll be allowed to continue it as an outpatient.

Old 25-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
Voldemort

Doubtful. Besides I'd have no one to drive me in and pick me up afterwards so I wouldn't be able to do that anyway.

I should get more days out etc if it goes well. It's just. Idk. I want to go home.

Old 25-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #16
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I understand, it must be quite disheartening to be at a place where you want to be home but you're not fully ready yet. Days out would be a good first step so I hope that happens for you soon.

Old 26-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #17
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Thinking of you today

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

Old 26-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #18
Voldemort

Thanks both. It was fine. There were a lot of familiar faces there and they were really good to me. All I'm left with is some pain mostly in my left temple. Fingers crossed this works!

Old 26-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #19
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Glad it went ok. Hope this is a good treatment for you.

Old 26-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
tamobhuuta

Glad it went well x

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)