RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
yoyogirl

I am currently:
Hannah Smith Ask Fm

Hi All

Lets talk about this case of 14 year that committed suicide recently on Friday after the abuse she got from anonmus teenagers on the site Ask Fm.
What does everyone think

Please note this may be triggering.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

It's terribly, terribly sad, but bullying on the internet is quite widespread, and although Ask.fm can be particularly nasty, so can a lot of sites, and there needs to be more help generally, rather than just blocking this one site.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I agree I think there needs to be a helpline someone can call when they are getting bullied online

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

The brilliant thing is the Daily Mail calling for this to stop, when they essentially bullied a transexual teacher into killing herself earlier this year.

It's an awful thing, and I don't know what the answer is. If it's illegal, it should be reported, but there's too much internet to moderate realistically.

BTW, if anybody is interested but doesn't know the background of the story, it's here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23639065

Last edited by Dreaming. : 10-08-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

There are helplines - Childline, Samaritans, Hopeline, but I think it's probably quite difficult and isolating when you're been bullied. I think sites like Twitter and ask.fm could probably make reporting posts easier and quicker to get rid of trolls and people who are just malicious, but I'm not sure what would really help.

And yes, it's ironic of the Daily Mail, but so is half the stuff they write. :p

Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I agree they need to make the reporting of posts easier i have been in the similar situations

Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I don't understand why people don't just leave the sites if its that bad?
I left facebook a long time ago with no hassle. If people are being so badly bullied, then they should just leave the site

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I agree too or at least create a new account

Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Aztec

There was a site like this a few years ago and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It ran on the same principles, that people would ask you anonymous questions.

Someone from ryl added me, and began bullying me(as i later discovered), telling me "I wasn't really depressed" and I should "kill myself".

It hurt, yes, and it was causing my depression to further, but I wasn't going to let this idiot win. It's a shame that these people think it's funny and a joke, because it's not.

I have the upmost sympathy for Hannah and her family, but it's not necessarily the site's fault. They need to do more in terms of abuse and security, yes, but it's just a few idiots who ruin it for everyone, and in turn don't care that they're ruining people's lives.

Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
yoyogirl

I am currently:

That is just so bad

Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Technically, they say the posts were from someone at her IP addresses - which could still be her family/sister, if it is true. I think it would be very odd if she'd driven herself to suicide.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacoethes View Post
I don't understand why people don't just leave the sites if its that bad?
I left facebook a long time ago with no hassle. If people are being so badly bullied, then they should just leave the site
I have to agree. I was bullied on facebook multiple times, and in the end I just decided it wasn't worth it. Something else actually drove me off it completely, but I've never been back and I'm a lot happier without all the mess and drama it causes.

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)