RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
untoldbattles

I am currently:
Contains abuse - Is this counted?

I have this extremely vague memory, which honestly speaking, I don't know whether to believe any of it or not. I have quite a number of memory gaps ( I don't remember everything that happened ) for this particular incident so I'll indicate them with " *memory gap* ".

Anyway, what I remember was that I was 8 years old at that point of time, and happened to be with my mom at the mall. We entered this store which sold skirts in those cart-like things ( I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what they're called ). My mom picked out a skirt for me and being someone who doesn't have the habit of picking out my own clothes, I just simply stood by her side. *memory gap* A while later, I overheard one of the sales ladies having a conversation with another woman who was also a customer at the store. The woman wanted to get a skirt for her daughter but since her daughter wasn't there with her, she was unsure of what size to get. I then heard the woman proceed to tell the sales lady that her daughter was of the same size as I was. *memory gap* The next thing I know, both of them held the skirt against my bottom without seeking my consent. I had been listening to their conversation facing away from them but didn't expect that to happen. They then did a "petting" motion (similar to the way that you'd pet a cat ) on my bottom and I obviously instantly felt weird and disgusted. I wondered why these total strangers were doing that, without asking me or my mom. I was ashamed because I felt guilty for not moving away, stopping them or telling someone immediately. Instead, I decided to stay quiet as I was afraid that my mom would argue with them. However, my mom happened to turn around soon after and realized what was happening. *memory gap* What I know, or at least remember, is that she called up the police. *memory gap* The police arrived after god knows how long and supposedly spoke to my mom and the two strangers ( I don't really know, *memory gap* here ) I don't remember the next string of events but can only recall them asking me " How old are you? " and that's when I answered "8".

After that, I have absolutely no memories of what happened for the rest of the day. I don't remember the incident being brought up ever again, even up to this very day, nearly 8 years later. I don't even know if my mom told my dad or anyone else.

I've been confused as to whether if the above-mentioned case is indeed counted as abuse ( molestation in particular ) because that's what the police recorded it down as. So basically I've got two questions. 1. Is it counted? 2. Is there a greater possibility that the memories I'm having are totally made-up?

Thank you for reading, advice is greatly appreciated.

untoldbattles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I think the most important thing is whether or not you feel like it was abuse, and if the memory if it causes you trauma etc.

I think if I had a child of that age and some strangers went over to her and held up a skirt to her bottom I'd be annoyed but that part alone I think would be okay in itself. The petting motion I'm not sure on. It's definitely unwanted physical contact, but they could have done it innocently because petting a bottom can be a sign of finding something/someone cute or adorable. Yes it was wrong of them to touch you, but it might not have been a sexual act.

It's hard I guess because only you know how you feel about what happened. Maybe labelling it as abuse or not might not be so helpful.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I agree with Night Circus.

Is this memory bothering you? If it is, maybe you could consider asking your mum about it if you think you might get some closure from her filling in the gaps for you and explaining what happened and her thoughts on it.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
untoldbattles

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
I agree with Night Circus.

Is this memory bothering you? If it is, maybe you could consider asking your mum about it if you think you might get some closure from her filling in the gaps for you and explaining what happened and her thoughts on it.
Yeah, it has been bothering me ever since I remembered all of it. Something must have triggered the memories but I don't know exactly what did.. Frankly speaking I don't feel ready to ask her about it because I'm pretty sure she'll either say that none of it ever happened, she doesn't remember or I don't have to know about an incident that happened ages ago..

Old 29-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
whirlpools

Honestly to me it's abuse. Maybe I'm weird but touching anyone's bottom of any age without their permission is abuse. Do you think you can check out with your mum that it happened? She might have put it to the back of her mind too. Memories can be strange things but checking out with other people can help.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
whirlpools

Sorry I missed your post asking about your mum. You could maybe contact the police directly (not sure) or it might be worth talking to a therapist if you are left feeling distressed - it can help you with feelings you have in the here and now.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

not sure what it would be clssed as technically, but it sounds inappropriate. I sort of agree with the speaking to your mum idea

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
untoldbattles

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlpools View Post
Sorry I missed your post asking about your mum. You could maybe contact the police directly (not sure) or it might be worth talking to a therapist if you are left feeling distressed - it can help you with feelings you have in the here and now.
I've thought about contacting the police but it happened nearly a decade ago so I doubt it's possible to get more information about it... Honestly speaking I think the case was probably pushed aside long ago so I don't think contacting them would be of much help ( if any at all ).. In the meantime, a therapist isn't possible as my parents would think I'm insane if I were to tell them any of this. Do you think going to a school counsellor would help?

Old 31-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
untoldbattles

I am currently:

Also, thank you all for the replies.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #10
daverecovers
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Hey,

Yes, it is counted as an abuse in the law. Any physical touch of a person to someone's private areas is a sexual abuse. Don't know if they did it innocently or with some intentions but they did it without taking permission from you or your mother. Therefore, they are guilty and will be charged with sexual abuse law.

Regarding the thought, if it's bothering you too much try asking your mother about what happened with them did your mother press charges or they did get away. Knowing the result will make your mind calm and your thoughts won't bother you any more.

Regards,

daverecovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)