RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Chronic Depression

A friend of mine has chronic depression, he says it's basically having depression for a very long time (he's had it 17 years) and that it's not going to go away. Then he said to me "but you're lucky you don't have chronic depression" but how would anyone know? Okay, I've been depressed four/five years, but what if it doesn't go away? Are there early signs of chronic depression?

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 16-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
Stellata

In my experience, all depression is chronic. I've been depressed off and on [mainly on] since in my teens. Yes, that's 20 + years. I probably had it before then, also. Just it looked different back then.
I have recurrent depression, but its PTSD and attachment disorder linked. Sometimes its mild, sometimes its off the severe scale.
Whether its chronic, recurring, whatever, its getting the right treatment that matters. That's my view, anyway.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Hello,

Depression occur's because of numerous different thing's from it being a chemical deficiency to entirely situational.

So firstly I would take what your friend say's lightly because only a psychiatrist can say if your depression is chronic etc. However depending on your diagnosis and his diagnosis he may be able to make some generalisation in particular if he has been diagnosed as suffering from dysthmia as this is a form of chronic depression.

To have depression for 4/5 year's it is more than simply a one off incident and as Katherine say's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~longing~tears~ View Post
Whether its chronic, recurring, whatever, its getting the right treatment that matters.
and that treatment should be made for you and fit your circumstances.

If you are still worried and don't want to ask your dr. maybe ask him to say why he say's that you don't have chronic depression his answer will hopefully explain it.

Look after you

xoxox

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Yeah I was told I have Dysthymia, and the word "chronic" has also been used.

I guess I just didn't like my friend attempting to tell me what I have/don't have.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

Old 17-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Stellata

... which is totally not his job or role. You know yourself the best.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
Margo

I am currently:

Ive had depression for nearly 16 years now. Ive had 3 "major incidents" as i call them. I would say that ive been chronic in those because everything has stopped and i just dont/didnt funtion, but for the other years its just been a background thing that i have dealt with and got on with my life. Im not sure what qualifies as chronic but im sure its not just based upon timescales!!!

~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P

Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

ive been diagnosed with chronic depression. ive had it for 12 year. it means recurrent or constant for an extented period of time. acute depression usually means one episode that doesnt reoccur. or at least doesnt reoccur within a short space of time. i would say 5+ years is definately an extended period of time but obviously thats only from what i know about depression diagnosis. im not a dr or anything

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
Margo

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad sam View Post
ive been diagnosed with chronic depression. ive had it for 12 year. it means recurrent or constant for an extented period of time. acute depression usually means one episode that doesnt reoccur. or at least doesnt reoccur within a short space of time. i would say 5+ years is definately an extended period of time but obviously thats only from what i know about depression diagnosis. im not a dr or anything

Oh poo in that case im chronic

~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P

Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Thanks for your replies.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)