Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Chezio
So long and thanks for all the fish

I am currently:
GP to mental health team - time scales

Hi everyone,
Have just been to my GP today and asked to be referred back to the mental health team after my counceling with a self injury charity stopped (due to lack of charity funding). The GP has said not to get my hopes up n it's unlikely that they'll get back to me before February. It's ridiculas!!! I have a long history of severe depression and self harm. My GP is saying best thing is for me to wait till I'm suicidal again and contact the crisis team through A&E

How long does it take in other areas? Where else can I go for help??

Chezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

I didn't think it usually takes that long to get referred to the CMHT. It can takes days to a couple of months. But I guess at Christmas is coming up; it's bound to be slower.

Where abouts do you live? In the London area I'm staying in - it has taken a few days and the second time it took three weeks. I reckon it also depends on the severity your gp puts on your application will also depend on how long it will take to get you seen to.

Hope it's not too long x

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
MagpieBlues
Maria

Did he refer you or did he just say 'wait until your suicidal'?

Thats ridiculous that your GP said that to you tbh. Do you not have a mental health triage service where you can self refer yourself?

And it usually depends in what are you're in as to how long it takes as waiting lists vary.

I hope you manage to find some sort of support.

MagpieBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Chezio

I am currently:

I'm in Cumbria. I've been passed pilar to post in the last few years. My fiance sees how sercious my condition can be but i cant get it though to my GP. The doctor in A&E last time recommended i went to my GP and got a referal to Crisis team, but now it could take months.

Old 21-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Chezio

I am currently:

I dont know much about the mental health care in Cumbria, as i've not been helped much as i was lucky to have a wonderful therapist from a charity. Now i'm not sure where to turn.

Old 21-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
MagpieBlues
Maria

Could your boyfriend not go in with you and tell the GP just how difficult it is for you sometimes? Sometimes it helps to get someone else saying what they see the problem as, because then it's not just subjective individual opinion.

I find it so frustrating that GP's make decisions based on how you present to them that day. 10 minutes isn't long enough to decide important things like that.

MagpieBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Chezio

I am currently:

I did take my bf with me this morning, and he is as shocked as i am about how long they're saying it will take. We explaniend to the GP that he's had to deal with me and help me though the down days and when i'm feeling siucidal. that it can be hard and tough.

we really dont know where to turn.

Old 21-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
offlineforever
Left RYL

That isn't actually that long a wait, it can take anything up to a year in some areas to start recieving support. But it might be worth going back to the dr and asking if anything else can be done in the mean time.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

That is a long time but it is not uncommon to have waiting listed that long in the NHS.
I guess it's the price we pay for free healthcare x

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
getting_by
Roli

I am currently:

Hey hun,

I know how frustrating it can be! If you keep going to your gp it can help to move the process along a little faster, especially if they see you when your struggling. I also found in the mean time my GP was a great support too. I am very lucky this time (my second referral after a discharge last year) as I was accepted into the CMHT or the CMHRS as it is now known within three days of seeing my GP. But it would have been much longer had it not been an 'emergency referral'.

Just keep at it. Keep asking for help.

xx

Here's the day you hoped would never come,
Don't feed me violins, just run with me
through rows of speeding cars.
21 on the run, on the run, on the run
From myself, from myself and everyone
I better leave the light on
The darkness, The sweetness, The sadness, The weakness,
O, I need this
Hi, I'm Roli Take Care, Stay Safe, Shout if you need anything

getting_by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Chezio

I am currently:

Thanks everyone, will see if they get back to me soon n if not then will try a differnt GP at the practice and see if I can get seen quicker xx

Old 22-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

I've had a referral that took months and another in a different PCT that took about a week. So it depends on how busy they are.

I understand its frustrating but the Gp could push an emergency referral through. Also sometimes at A&E they can refer you from there or via crisis team but each area works differently.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)