RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #1
Giovanni

Tips to not cut when its addictive.

Hi everyone I'm new. And tired I don't know how long I can handle this or how long I can keep somewhat control of my cutting before I go too far. I can't seem to stop. I'm reassured by my blade and panic if I can't find it. I've tried telling myself ill only do one cut but then it winds up being 5, 8 or 10 times no matter how much I've tried or how I promised my boyfriend I'd try to stop. Its wrong but oddly satisfying and I need to stop. I both want and don't want to stop. Can anyone give any goods tips for stopping when you want and don't want to, or general tips for dealing with anxiety. Thank you.

Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 20-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Hi, welcome to RYL. I think a lot of us have felt that way. There are so many conflicting emotions about self harming or trying to stop. What does self harming do for you? Are there other ways you could try and get those feelings/outcomes? Harm reduction can be a good starting point but if you're ending up cutting loads even if you tell yourself you'll only do one cut then could you get rid of the blade (I know that's scary) and replace it with something that would damage you less if you used it? It's really great that you're thinking about stopping and I hope that you will be able to when the time is right for you. Do you have any professional support?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
Giovanni

Thanks for answering. I sometimes like the feel of cutting. It also helps distract me from my thoughts and emotions when they're overwhelming. Or it.
makes me feel in general. Or its satisfying when I feel I deserve it. I don't know if there's other ways I could get the same results, I'm trying to deal
with the root issue but sometimes I can't handle focusing on one more thing. I don't want to get rid of the blade but I should. I don't have any professional support but my issues aren't too bad I just tend to over react. I also can't afford it. I hope you have a nice day

Old 26-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

There are other ways that you can feel and distract yourself, although I know the total experience of cutting is unique. If you want to feel pain then putting an ice cube on your skin can be really sore. I sometimes find writing on my arms is helpful and/or bandaging my arms. Having a soothing/safe/positives box near to your cutting instruments or instead of them can be good too if you try and look in the box before self harming and see if that helps. You could include things like something you like the smell of, sensory toys, colouring sheets, a list of distractions, a soft toy, affirmations, bubbles are good if you're feeling panicky. Also you could try writing down reasons not to self harm and putting them with your tools, such as doing it for your boyfriend or even simple things that make cutting a nuisance like itchy healing cuts. Do you have any friends or family you can talk to or do you know of telephone helplines in your area? I hope at least some of this is useful for you.

Old 29-11-2018, 02:11 AM   #5
Giovanni

Thank you so much for the tips. And I don't really talk to my friend s about it because I'm normally try to encourage them to love themselves so I don't want them to know I'm kinda hypocritical. I don't think I could tell anyone without upsetting them, I haven't told my boyfriend I've cut a couple times since promising him if try not to
But I'm cutting less its been 4 days and I'm about to start the soothing box. Thank you

Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Well done with managing to cut less. Do you know what has been helping? You could maybe think about setting a goal and rewarding yourself with something nice when you achieve it.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #7
Giovanni

I think avoid g triggers and I began taking little breaks from talking to other people was helping. Although it doesn't always. I can't seem to break the cycle I just cut again because one of my friends tried to kill herself. Sometimes taking a break from noise helps a bit. I hope you have a great day

Old 05-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Your friend trying to kill herself would be a huge trigger and difficult to deal with at this early stage of you trying to stop/reduce self harming. Try not to be hard on yourself or feel like you can't manage to stop/reduce. What feelings came up for you when your friend tried to kill herself? Maybe you could try focusing on exactly what you're feeling at the time and safer ways to work through those feelings.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:55 AM   #9
Giovanni

I didn't really feel that much until the day after she told me. A lot of panic about whether she's going to try again or if she's going to be able to be ok. And dissapointment and anger I wasn't able to help her she told me about her feelings a couple of times. And guilt that she didn't try to rely on me to help her and I don't know if I've done more harm or good in her life. I don't really know what to do besides try to be there for her but that probably won't help too much.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)