Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

There has been some possible cases in New Zealand now too!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #23
Pink Lemonade Fairy
Chlooooee.

I am currently:

How have I only just heard about this?
I'm actually quite scared, I have a poor immune system.

There's been possible cases in Scotland I think I just heard?

just because you've forgotten doesn't mean you're forgiven

Pink Lemonade Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #24
Aidee

I am currently:

And the panic begins....

As of right now no one outside of Mexico has died, and no offense to Mexico, but it's not exactaly known for it's advanced medical care. The biggest thing is that people need to stay calm, be aware, wash their hands and stay away from people who have been in mexico recently.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Aidee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #25
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

Quote:
Message from the Director of Public Health and the Chief Health Officer
Quote:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The World Health Organisation (http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_25/en/index.html) has stated the recent outbreaks of Swine Influenza in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Mexico</st1:country-region> and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place> constitutes a public health emergency of international concern. No cases have been reported in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region>, however theAustralian Government national response team headed by <st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region>'s Chief Medical Officer Professor Jim Bishop is working closely with all jurisdictions to determine <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region></st1:place>'s response. <o:p></o:p>
As a precaution, we have asked all public hospital emergency departments and GPs in <st1:State w:st="on">Tasmania</st1:State> to be on alert for flu symptoms, particularly in people who have recently travelled to <st1:country-region w:st="on">Mexico</st1:country-region> or the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">United States</st1:country-region></st1:place>, and information has been issued to the media.<o:p></o:p>
Anyone who has a flu-like illness, especially fever, cough and fatigue, AND has been to Mexico,the United States or any country affected by Swine Influenzain the last seven daysshould immediately contact the Tasmanian Public & Environmental Health Service byphoning 1800 671 738 for telephone assessment and referral to the most appropriate hospital or service provider. A special hotline will be established over the next few days.<o:p></o:p>
The outbreak of Swine Influenza increases the need for DHHS staff to be immunised against seasonal influenza. The seasonal flu vaccine is unlikely to provide protection against Swine Influenza but it will minimise confusion between seasonal influenza and Swine Influenza, protect you and anyone you come into contact with from the three worst strains of seasonal influenza and help to reduce the load on our health services.<o:p></o:p>
Non hospital staffclick hereto book your flu shot. Hospitalstaffclick here.If you are in the North and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">North West</st1:State></st1:place> and have missed the immunisation clinic in your local area, please email fluvax@dhhs.tas.gov.au to express interest. Depending on numbers, additional immunisation clinics may be held in key population areas. <o:p></o:p>
A small number of staff have queried the need for immunisation or have expressed concern that the vaccine may make them sick or weaken their immune system. The facts are:<o:p></o:p>
    • <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level2 lfo3">Influenza vaccine CANNOT cause influenza because it does not contain live virus. <o:p></o:p>
    • Catching influenza does not make your immune system stronger but can make you generally weaker from illness for quite a period of time. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, we recommend you seriously consider being immunised.<o:p></o:p>Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Dr Chrissie Pickin, A/Director of Public Health<o:p></o:p>
Dr Craig White, Chief Medical Officer

That's the e-mail my whole department just got...

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #26
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Lemonade Fairy View Post
How have I only just heard about this?
I'm actually quite scared, I have a poor immune system.

There's been possible cases in Scotland I think I just heard?

Actually a weak immune system is probably a plus in the event this flu ever evolves into a serious form. It appears to do the most damage to healthier people. The avian flu of 1917 and SARS worked the same way. It creates a severe and potentially fatal immune reaction called a cytokine storm and a strong immune system can actually work against you.

Of course things may never get that bad. Swine flu has come and gone without much trouble in the past (the 60's I believe) and it may well now. As I said in another post, this is not the time to be in theaters, eating cold salad plates out etc. Mexico told its people not to congregate in large crowds while here in US I only hear about 'washing hands" which to me is a bit on the lame side. If people are prudent I am sure they can do well even if things got rough. If things were rough I am sure schools and other places will be closed anyway. They are already moving that way in US.

"Nevertheless, the officials recommended planning for potential U.S. school closures and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the United States would release some of its stockpiles of anti-flu drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. She also said the United States would declare a public health emergency to start the flow of aid to states and communities that might be affected by the outbreak."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N26491115.htm

Last edited by Isoverity : 27-04-2009 at 01:56 AM.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #27
Aidee

I am currently:

I know that the whole hand washing thing sounds rather silly, but it is a lot more important that people think. People don't generally get sick because a bacteria gets on their hands. They get sick because it gets on their hands and is then introduced to a mucus membrane, like the eyes, nose, mouth or genitals. If you wash your hands, you can help prevent the bacteria from every getting any where else on your body (and thus, in your body).

Obviously this doesn't work with airborne bacteria, but right now they are saying this is traveling person to person, not airborne.

Old 27-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #28
Dreamofunity

Map of infections - not sure how accurate it is, some points indicate mulitple infections in that area too.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,25.488281&z=5

Dreamofunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #29
Isoverity

I am currently:

Cool map - I hope no more dots show up near me

Old 27-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #30
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Aidey~ View Post
I know that the whole hand washing thing sounds rather silly, but it is a lot more important that people think. People don't generally get sick because a bacteria gets on their hands. They get sick because it gets on their hands and is then introduced to a mucus membrane, like the eyes, nose, mouth or genitals. If you wash your hands, you can help prevent the bacteria from every getting any where else on your body (and thus, in your body).

Obviously this doesn't work with airborne bacteria, but right now they are saying this is traveling person to person, not airborne.
Oh no the hand washing things does not sound silly at all. I just thought there should be more things added - like avoiding crowds, cold foods when out etc. Near me a lot of restaurants and delis have workers from Mexico who could have landed here yesterday for all I know.

About the airborne observation - I don't know. I was researching masks yesterday and and some say there is an airborne or aerosol threat and some say no. Since the flu in question is a "novel virus" with human, bird and pig elements are combined in new way I am not sure I will believe too much with any confidence until some time has passed.

I know the govs flu pandemc site says even if there is no long range airborne threat there is probably a short range one - such as standing next to people sneezing etc.

"In contrast to tuberculosis, measles, and varicella, the pattern of disease spread for seasonal influenza does not suggest transmission across long distances (e.g., through ventilation systems); therefore, negative pressure rooms are not needed for patients with seasonal influenza (6, 8). However, localized airborne transmission may occur over short distances (i.e., three to six feet) via droplet nuclei or particles that are small enough to be inhaled. The relative contribution of short-range airborne transmission to influenza outbreaks is unknown"

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/heal....html#airborne

I was reading about the docs telling people about painters masks and I am not sure those are any good from what I read. I have HEPA flter masks left over from work but I have some surgical procedure masks which are what I see most police etc people wearing in photos. Of course with an avian flu they arent relaible. The N95 masks I dont think I could wear too long.

Last edited by Isoverity : 27-04-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Old 27-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #31
Aidee

I am currently:

Ahhh, ok I see what you were saying Jack. I think the thing with the masks is that they aren't so much filtering as they are blocking droplets when people cough and sneeze. I know at work we have been advised to wear N95s when with patients exhibiting flu symptoms, but that putting just a barrier mask on them is sufficent.

Old 27-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #32
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

:(

This is scary.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #33
happywondering
выродок

Oh this is another Bird flu crap.

Also, flu itself is deadly.

On the news last night two people in Scotland were in hospital with mild flu like symptoms.... maybe they just have the flu.

Anyway, this is just the latest disease that the media have gone all 'OMFG WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE' over. It's just scare mongering.

Never forget what you are for the rest of the world will not.
Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you

happywondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #34
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

'Tis quite scary...But maybe we need to do something about people getting in and out of Mexico.
Like people coming back to the UK for example who could be contaminated. Shouldn't they be tested before they fly? Coz that's how teh suspected cases in New Zealand have happened.

I think that's quite a good thought? [I hope]

And also why wait till it gets bad enough to be a pandemic to vaccinate/treat against it etc? Yes tehre are only certain things you can do but shouldn't we take early action. 'Cause if we just wait then it'll be too late?!

Yeah I should stop now...Lolz.

Last edited by Fitzwilliam : 27-04-2009 at 02:06 PM.

'Coincidence...it's what the Universe does for...fun.'
The Doctor

Fitzwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #35
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywondering View Post
Oh this is another Bird flu crap.

Also, flu itself is deadly.

On the news last night two people in Scotland were in hospital with mild flu like symptoms.... maybe they just have the flu.

Anyway, this is just the latest disease that the media have gone all 'OMFG WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE' over. It's just scare mongering.

Sarah send me your gas mask

On a lighter note this was funny read

Journalist dies, oinking horribly, after failing to take Swine Flu seriously
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/james_d..._flu_seriously

Old 27-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #36
happywondering
выродок

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
Sarah send me your gas mask

On a lighter note this was funny read

Journalist dies, oinking horribly, after failing to take Swine Flu seriously
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/james_d..._flu_seriously
I could Jack, but it's be pretty useless as it needs a new filter,plus the thing is a bit too uncomfortable to wear for a long period of time.

Also the article is right!

Never forget what you are for the rest of the world will not.
Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you

happywondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #37
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

It's just been confirmed that the people in Scotland do have swine flu.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #38
Popple

I just read on teletext there are 26 suspected cases in the uk typically one in sale just near me tut

You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #39
Katiecakes.
Esse est percipi

I am currently:

I'm effing scared.
Seriously. :(

"From seeing the worst to loving the strongest; People grow over time."

Katiecakes. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #40
Acrasia

There's nothing to be scared of.
Yes if you get it (which would be a rare occurance - 25 people out of millions in the UK...) you will be very poorly but it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to die. The NHS may suck monkey balls but we're pretty up their when it comes to medicines.

I mean, i lived on a farm when the foot and mouth came out, and it was a cattle farm..i survived.

I'm not particularly bothered, but then i suffer with agoraphobia and don't go out !

ANY influenza can be life threatening if not treated accordingly - it affects people in different ways.

Just try not to panic.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)