Serenade
Musing...

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by running.on.empty View Post
This thread is like a drug.

I hate it, and it grosses me out.

But I keep coming back. ;[

Damn you girls and your fascinatingly disgusting physiology.

I just noticed this post, it made me lol.

~ 'Paint the skyscrapers with huge totem faces and goblin tikis, and every evening what's left of mankind will retreat to empty zoos and lock itself in cages as protection against the bears and big cats and wolves that pace and watch us from outside the cage bars at night'- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
~ We'll float around, hang out on clouds, then we'll come down and have a hangover...
~ Feel free to PM ^.^

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #222
Raven

I am currently:

hope everything goes well with yours heidi!

"When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you" - Dr Samuel Loomis

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #223
Master Of Deceit

Honestly, when I'm doubled over from the pain of my uterus seeming to be attempting to turn itself inside out, my first concern is not the environment.

Plus, that time of the month is messy as it is, I'd rather not have to wash anything afterwards.

But I do think it's sweet that you've teken the time to care and to share.

Master Of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #224
Asystole

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain. View Post
Period blood smells different than other blood. It's like... this warm fishy smell. I think it would be grand if my periodblood smelled like copper, like my other blood smells like! But sadly...
Seriously I am never clicking on this thread again!

Asystole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #225
user_name

I am currently:

^^ and why not?

I am glad my period blood does not smell like warm fish.

I also don't think I could cope with a mooncup.

user_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #226
Raven

I am currently:

lol yeah cant say mine smells much like warm fish either. but im really considering buying this mooncup....

i remember my bloke once referring to our old flatmate as smelling like a bag of rusty nails when on her dabs lol

Old 22-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #227
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

I'm always concious that I smell when I'm on my period - but I don't think I really do, I just think it's paranoia and awareness that I'm on, y'know?

xx

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #228
Raven

I am currently:

yeah i reckon its the same for most of us. but there was one time back in my school days that my friend went into the cubicle, changed her pad, opened the door and the overwhelming smell of period hit me and my other friend. we ignored it, as you do. but it lingered....all day. she smelled like period all day. and we couldnt understand it because she changed her pad, so why the smell? still confuses me.

Old 22-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #229
XxXflowerfairyXxX

I am currently:

Women are far more aware of their own smell than anyone else is, it's a proven fact but I have no recollection of how I know it =p

XxXflowerfairyXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #230
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

I had no idea there were reusable pads! That's really interesting. I can't bear tampons, so I always thought I would hate the cup, but I've definitely thought about the environmental implications. Reusable pads sound good.

I don't see how it's disgusting either--it reminds me of cloth nappies, which people have used for centuries before the disposable nappies were invented, and this was surely much more environmentally friendly to wash them out rather than have a new one every time. It's the same with pads, plus blood is much less messy than pee or poo.

I find it funny that people are so disgusted by their own normal bodily functions that they think things like reusable pads must be disgusting. It must be hard to be that uncomfortable in your own body.

Sit on my finger, sing in my ear, O littleblood.

foxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #231
Aphelion
Drug Guardian

I am currently:

Sweet mother of god. No, just no. Believe me, I'm all for environment and all that but I hate tampons enough as it is, having a piece of latex up me sounds even worse. So thank you but no thank you.

Aphelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #232
yourockmysocks

I've always wanted to try one of those cup things but there isn't anywhere near here that sells them so I'd have to order one online, and I'm pretty sure that one of my little sibs would end up opening the box with one of their little friends. Thus starting an embarrassing spiral of doom. So I just use the disposable pads. Never tampons though because I've never fancied the idea of sticking some unknown (undoubtably bleached and treated with all sorts of chemicals) thing into my vagina.

yourockmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #233
Ekibyougami

I am currently:

Whaa?
All those alternative products (Mooncups? Wtf?) aren't even sold here!

Try to unlearn all that you’ve learnt,
try to listen to your heart.
No, we can’t understand the universe
by just using our mind.
We are so afraid of all the things unknown!

Ekibyougami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #234
sobriquet
Alison

I am currently:

So. . .

Have just read through all 240 posts of this thread and have had several thoughts throughout. I have to admit my first thought for a response was going to be "great, now I'm too scared to use disposable products, too grossed out to use resusable". But I've read all the way through now and am thinking, maybe it isn't so bad. My issue would be that (as someone else mentioned) I can't even use non-applicator tampons because the idea of getting menstrual fluid (I'm not going to call it blood because it's not, it's uteral lining and an unfertilised egg, but that's just me being . . . i don't know, weird, lol! So blood from cutting your knee after falling is completely different from what comes out of your uterus during a period.) on me just grosses me out so much. Seriously, it happened once - got a tiny spot of menstrual stuff on my hand and spend 20 minutes washing my hands (little bit OCD).

if the concern is dropping it or losing it, you could always buy two and keep one as a spare in your bag/pocket just in case.

Disposable products do harm the environment, as do so many other things we do. If you personally can't/won't use a Mooncup (and I'm not saying that if you don't, you're a bad person or you don't care about the environment) then don't. There are enough other things you can do to 'make up' for it - recycling, walking instead of driving, growing your own veg, etc.

In response to how someone (I think it was Kelpie) got it stuck, the vaginal walls are muscle and can/will tighten. It's possible that the muscles just 'clamped' around the mooncup so it couldn't easily be pulled out.

My other fear/concern would be somehow spilling the full Mooncup down my top or jeans in the process of removing it, but that's possibly just because I know how clumsy I am.

Thank you to the OP for posting this. I saw posters about the Mooncup in the toilets at uni and have thought about it before, but had actually completely forgotten about it's existence until seeing this thread. Protecting the environment is important. We only have one planet and we are destroying it. Fair enough, it might not be within our lifetime, maybe not for 100 years. But our children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren will have to put right whatever damage we do. Thinking about things like how we 'deal with' (I know there's a better phrase than that, but I can't think of it) our periods etc can actually make quite a difference.

I had more to say but can't actually remember it all now. I'm sure I'll come back and post more when I remember it all!

7th July 2007

Hope is the feeling you have, that the feeling you have isn't permanent. (Jean Kerr)

sobriquet is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)