Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
De Stijl
Bluffin' With My Muffin

I am currently:
::Attn: Pregnant Women of RYL - A sweet way to overcome Heartburn::

I hope you like licorice.

Quote:
Licorice has been used as a highly effective alternative to anti-acids and acid-blocking drugs. by inhibiting acid production, but rather through support and stimulating the stomach's natural protective mechanisms. Stomach discomfort is usually to protect itself against the irritation caused by acid. The presence of harmful bacteria can also be a factor. the stomach's primary defense against corrosive gastric acid is a fine layer of mucin, secreted by millions of mucosal cells that line the stomach wall. Licorice has been shown to stimulate both the secretion of mucin and the formation of new mucosal cells, probably through its ability to increase blood flow to mucosal tissue. In addition to supporting a normal chemical balance, licorice has also been shown to help inhibit the growth of potentially harmful intestinal bacteria, such as Helicobacter pylori. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial reported that 16 people with significant stomach discomfort showed an average improvement of 78% when given 360 mg of DGL twice daily, compared to 34% in the placebo group. Other trails compared DGL to prescription drugs showing that 760 mg DGL 3 times daily is as effective as the popular prescription drug cimetidine. DGL stands for De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice. Licorice contains a naturally occurring substance known as glycyrrhizin.
http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Inform...ndigestion.htm

Baby Mia 18th Feb 2010

De Stijl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

i have tried everything this pregnancy.

with chloe a pint of really weak, really cold squash (cordial??) worked for me.

with this one i've tried milk, squash, water, chalk tablets (heartburn chewabl things), heartburn liquid... what i have found to work is chewy mints (soft mints) and lots of em. they cool everything. i knew peppermint was a natural remedy... but i just tried them by chance. mand x

Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)