RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
sammie13s

I am currently:
sertraline and insomnia

Hey Guys! I have just joined today.. Afew days ago i was taken off my prozac 20mg and switched too sertraline 50mg... Now for the past few days i have felt like i have insomnia and just can not sleep at all. Please could anybody tell me if they have had this. Also i would appreciate it, if you could let me no if they worked for you. As im not so great at the moment and just hoping these tablets will get in my system as soon as.

sammie13s is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 17-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Amelie

I am currently:

My gp advised me to take sertraline in the morning because I had insomnia.
Yous should try it.

Amelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
PollyPocket

I am currently:

hey Sammie, ive been on setraline for about 6 weeks now and as yet i havent noticed anything. Do take them in the morning though as i couldnt sleep if i'd taken them in the afternoon. If they don't work your GP can up them to 200mg i think... thats what ill be on in a couple of days, but give 'em a bit of time.
take care x

PollyPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
sparkle.
iwannabreakfree

I am currently:

hiya,
I've been on Sertraline since March, starting on 50mg then up to 100mg in May. I can't really comment on the insomnia aspect as I sort of have that anyway and before I started the Sertraline.
I would just like to say though that it has really helped, because I wasn't so great at all either which is why I was prescribed it and it helped get rid of those thoughts.
PM me if you think I can help in any way xxx lisa

Happy girls are the prettiest girls

sparkle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
x-dying-inside-x
*Dan*

I am currently:

all i can say is that i was on it for a long time and it never worked for me but give it a chance it may work for you.

" my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trials and suffering. When you see only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you" you were carried out of are lifes into the next and when its my time to leave this life I know i will be carried into the next life with you.
I wish i had my world complete again.
'Can we protend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars, i could really use a wish right now' BoB

x-dying-inside-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Dramatic

I suffer with severe insomnia, i think the longest i've stayed awake is 72 hours (3 days) before collapsing absolutely exhausted.
It comes hand in hand with depression sadly.
Sertraline can cause insomnia/sleep problems. I was on Sertraline for around 6 months - they didn't work for me at all, however, i do have friends where Sertraline has been extremely successful. So it really is worth giving it a go hun.

Side effects of any medication usually subside given time, it takes a number of weeks for it to get into your system, so try to be patient hun.
*hug*
Goodluck xx

Old 17-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
pixie*lyssie
Lyssie =) xx

I am currently:

I have been on sertraline for about 4 years now and have found that when I was put on it and whenever my dosage is upped, I can't sleep! But I think it'll wear off once your body gets used to it (hopefully) and it's in your blood. But I would deffo mention it to the Dr who prescribed it to you so they can keep an eye on it!

P.s. welcome to RYL *hugs*

Lyssie xx

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up
where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1002&dateline=1227381  259

pixie*lyssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
sammie13s

I am currently:

Hi guys! Just wanted to no if u are all feeling better in yourselfs since taking this medication. im only 22 and scared im going feeling like this forever. will i??? or does the medication make u better??? x

sammie13s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
Dramatic

Sammie - No one here can tell you whether you will feel better or not. Medication is never a cure for depression/a mental illness. Sadly, there isn't such a thing as a "happy pill". It merely takes the "edge" off everything you're feeling.
You need to put in the rest of the work if you can. I.E. Going to counselling/therapy.

Different medications work for different people. There's never a quick fix to depression, it's just a case of trial and error - to see what medication works well for you.
Not every medication is going to agree with everyone, that's why there are so many on the market.

You just have to see how things go with the Sertraline. It often takes 2-4 weeks to fully get into your system before you notice a change. It might be a case of your GP upping the dosage if he feels it's necessary if you aren't feeling releaved in anyway.

Goodluck

Old 17-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
pixie*lyssie
Lyssie =) xx

I am currently:

Like I have said, I have been on the med for almost 4 years now and I find it has helped me tremendously! I was put on it at 16 (I'm 20 now) for major OCD and it started helping when the drug kicked in. It's stopped my anxiety and OCD tendancies and it also helps with. I am on 200mg. I hope it helps you in the long run, xx

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up
where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1002&dateline=1227381  259

pixie*lyssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #11
Artychik
Tired and Confused

I am currently:

hello

I was on Sertraline a while back and had a lot of problems with insomnia (like a lot worse than usual). I also had other side effects that were very unpleasant and had to come off it.

Give it a wee while, meds take a few weeks to kick in and side effects usually subside as well.

No-one can really say this will or won't work for you, finding the right med can take a while and everyone is different. Best thing is to give it a good try and see how things go.
If it doesn't get any better have a chat with your doc

and you won't feel like this forever, it's hard to see that when you're in the midst of it, but yo won't

xxx
--------------------

Artychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
xjessx

I am currently:

Hey, ha sorry this is really old but found it whilst googling the drug! Ive been put pn it but am too afraid to take it tonight because i want to sleep, im confused though because the doc said it should help me sleep =/ he said it would make me drowsy, does it do that initially then sorta fade out? sometimes when i first started citalopram it would make me fall asleep, i want to take it but i really want sleep, grr its already 2.30am

You dont need to destroy yourself anymore, we all know you were good at that,
now retire from all that hard work you do
of bringing pain to those sweet eyes and heart

xjessx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
xjessx

I am currently:

Anyone know? ...

You dont need to destroy yourself anymore, we all know you were good at that,
now retire from all that hard work you do
of bringing pain to those sweet eyes and heart

xjessx is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)