RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
XanthiaJo

I am currently:
Yes, Samaritans DOES have a FREE number

Quote:
The new 116 numbers have been introduced so that people can call helplines using the same memorable number regardless of which EU country they are in.
The following organisations have been selected to provide their services on these 116 numbers:

Missing People will use 116 000 for a missing children helpline;
NSPCC will use 116 111 for its ChildLine service; and
Samaritans will use 116 123 for an emotional support helpline.

Today’s announcement follows a selection process by Ofcom who were advised by independent panels set up by the Government
(Ofcom. Charities awarded 116 numbers. [ONLINE] Available at: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2009/1...d-116-numbers/. [Accessed 12 May 13].)

Quote:
8. Will the 116 123 number be free to caller via both calls made from mobile phones and landlines?
The European Commission is aiming for certain services of social value to be contactable by the same memorable telephone numbers in all Member States. Given the social importance of number such as 116 123, the European Commission has stated that ‘116’ numbers should be ‘freephone’ numbers.

In the UK freephone means free from landlines. However, Ofcom has decided that the three 116 short-code numbers are of extreme social value and must therefore be free to callers from both mobiles and landlines.

All calls made to 116 123 will be free to caller in the UK, whether they are made from a fixed line, mobile or public phone box
(GiffGaff. 2011. FREE calls to Samaritans, NSPCC CHILDLINE & MISSING PERSONS. [ONLINE] Available at: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/gif...S/td-p/2082757. [Accessed 12 May 13].).

There was a direct link to the Samaritans site about this but it's been taken down.. Who knows why! Browsing, this service has in fact been around since 2009, but has been poorly advertised.

I can personally confirm this number works completely free from mobiles. So happy days :)

My Scars Remind Me That My Past Is Real

Just to take a breath each day is sometimes the hardest bit to enjoy about ourselves.

XanthiaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
lau_83
Laura

I am currently:

Thats excellant news. It's about time some of these charities got some help like this. So many people can't afford to phone these from a mobile so hopefully this will encourage people to talk and get some help

lau_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Derpy
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Are the samaritans completely confidential? Can they use trace technology such as ip trace (for emails and any chat service) or mobile phone number tracking (for texts and calls) because I will not call any helpline that can track you (and therefore send an ambulance) because I don't trust mental health professionals or the mental health services and I am terrified of hospitals

Derpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
startingagain

I only remember one case of them tracking someone and that was because they thought it was a young child who had taken an overdose. It turned out to be an adult. I knew a Samaritan and they had to listen to people die and not do anything, so no they don't trace you.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Ellyx
Ella

I am currently:

^^I second that, calls i have made to certain helplines have involved police doing welfare checks (cue me then ending up somehow detained and locked up) or ambulances being sent. Is Samaritans completely confidential? I would love a helpline I could call and no matter what I said they would just listen and not send emergency services banging on my door.

Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality

Ellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Samaritans are completely confidential, apart from a certain set of circumstances like if you inform them of terrorism, that you're harming a child,or they think you lack capacity, which is very rare.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Derpy

I am currently:

If they tried to detain me, chances are I would end up dead anyway and before they got to me. So it'd be counter-productive for them to send the emergency services. If there's even a chance of them intervening, I won't use them, because, if you're suicidal and about to commit suicide, wouldn't you "lack capacity"?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Then you don't have to contact them. You have a choice. Doesn't mean nobody should. They help save thousands and thousands of people's lives.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
XanthiaJo

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelback4Ever View Post
Are the samaritans completely confidential? Can they use trace technology such as ip trace (for emails and any chat service) or mobile phone number tracking (for texts and calls) because I will not call any helpline that can track you (and therefore send an ambulance) because I don't trust mental health professionals or the mental health services and I am terrified of hospitals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyx View Post
^^I second that, calls i have made to certain helplines have involved police doing welfare checks (cue me then ending up somehow detained and locked up) or ambulances being sent. Is Samaritans completely confidential? I would love a helpline I could call and no matter what I said they would just listen and not send emergency services banging on my door.
They are completely confidential. Phone numbers are not seen by the listener at all and they don't do tracking. If emailing the email address is stripped before reaching the volunteer on the other end.

http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can...nt-kill-myself

Just to take a breath each day is sometimes the hardest bit to enjoy about ourselves.

Old 13-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Derpy

I am currently:

Completely confidential unless:
"Will you tell anybody I’m suicidal?

We won’t ever tell anyone about our conversation, or even that you called, unless you ask us to. We’ll never call emergency services, except for in these few circumstances:

You ask us to, and you’re unable to call for yourself
You’ve already told us your address, location or phone number, and then become incoherent or unconscious during the call
You’re in one of our branches, and you’ve harmed yourself in a way that puts you in danger at that time."
Sorry if I sound fussy, but if they find out who I am and where I live they'll call an ambulance

Old 13-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Then don't tell them.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
XanthiaJo

I am currently:

I've called them numerous times that I wanna kill myself and such and they just try to calm you down. I've told them I had plans and everything. They honestly don't do anything. As mentioned, some of the vollys are on the phone to people who are dying on some occasions.

You really got to respect them really.

Old 13-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

They usually are under the thought that if you've told them your address then you probably want help. If you don't want help don't tell them your address. I've called them before and they've never called the services on me. They will literally sit and listen to someone die.

If you go on YouTube there are some videos uploaded by the SAMs that explain it a bit more.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:

Hey I know a few Samaritans, and if you told them you didn't want them to, they would not ring an ambulance if you were suicidal. Even if you had already taken an overdose or what have you. They can't even tell the police if you had committed a serious crime. The only time they know of when they have had to ring emergency services was for a bomb threat. Please don't worry about ringing them, you may find it helpful x

Three cheers for love of the simplest kind.
The coins I flip land on their sides.

Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)