RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
dubagirl

I am currently:
Travel Restrictions After Being Sectioned

Just wondering if anyone has any information about which countries have restrictions about letting in people who have been on a Section 2 and 3 within the past year?
My friend and I are hoping to go on holiday together next summer but she has been on a section 3 for a few months as well as a couple of section 2's. Just wondering which countries have any kind of laws on this? I know of the USA and Australia (I think) but are there any others?
Thanks for your help, it would be much appreciated!

Keep Up The Fight

dubagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I only know of the USA!

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
LetMeSlipAway
Elaina!xo

I am currently:

Oh god! are you's serious? You cant go to america if you've been sectioned? It's my dream to get to america and I've been detained on section 2's and 3's on numberous occasions!
:(

sorry I have no advice really
xo

Each tear drop falls with sorrow, hoping and praying for another tomorrow!

LetMeSlipAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
dubagirl

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeSlipAway View Post
Oh god! are you's serious? You cant go to america if you've been sectioned? It's my dream to get to america and I've been detained on section 2's and 3's on numberous occasions!
:(

sorry I have no advice really
xo
You can, but they ask for a certain amount of time to have passed after coming off of a section before they will let you into the country. I think it's either 18 months or 2 years but I can't remember for certain. So don't worry! I guess it's to save them money, should you need to be detained while you're there, so they try to minimise the risk of that happening by not letting you go there for a while! Lovely!

Keep Up The Fight

Old 21-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Gargoylemaiden
Gargoylemaiden

I am currently:

I am from the U.S. and I never knew this!!! I agree that it is absolute bs. Don't they know the people who live here are just as troubled as the rest of the world. I am shocked.

"Whenever someone sorrows, I do not say, "forget it," or "it will pass," or "it could be worse" -- all of which deny the integrity of the painful experience. But I say, to the contrary, "It is worse than you may allow yourself to think. Delve into the depth. Stay with the feeling. Think of it as a precious source of knowledge and guidance. Then and only then will you be ready to face it and be transformed in the process."

Gargoylemaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Gargoylemaiden, I think it's because they don't want to run the risk of tourists getting unwell and taking up bed space in their psychiatric hospitals.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

Old 21-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
ems

I am currently:

I went to America 1 month after coming off a section 3, so it shouldn't be a problem. My mum phoned up their visa waiver office to make sure and technically you're meant to have a letter from your psych saying you're ok, which i had, but they didn't even ask for it, they had no record of my section 3 at all. Good luck for your trip.

~~I'm FINE...on the outside~~
~~Beneath the surface lies a shattered heart and an exhausted soul, simply longing... just longing to be whole~~

ems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Yeah, I don't think they have records as such, the only thing is when you're about to land you get given a form to fill in and one of the options to tick is something like do you have a mental health condition/have you been sectioned under the mental health act. And when you go through customs they look at the form as they take your fingerprints. I don't know if/how they know if you're lying or not, but I wouldn't want to chance it and have the FBI running after you lol.

Old 21-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
Minty
Pringle is an evil cat

I am currently:

My dad said China wouldn't let you get a visa with any recorded mental health problems.

it often worth trying for a visa and see what they say because sometimes you can have interviews and such.

I just remembered something. My sister came off a section like 15 months before she went to the US and she was working there as a student doctor. So there must be some leniancy with these things.

But I being poor have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet ; tread softly as you tread on my dreams.

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #10
dubagirl

I am currently:

Thank you to everyone about this :) I will check with the Foreign office and the countries' embassies etc.
Thanks again!

Keep Up The Fight

Old 23-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
suspendeddisconnect

i'm from the u.s. that's messed up... the thing is if something happened our health system is so cheap they'd get you back home asap anyway! they really wouldn't be paying much. as long as you are not currently sectioned, (i don't know how that all works) it shouldn't matter... funny thing is that if almost anyone tries to discriminate against anyone in any way on the basis of mental illness, they get sued so easily... yet no one here knows about policies regarding foreigners, so no one fights it.

Old 23-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #12
one lie at a time
Katie

I am currently:

There is a lot of campaigning to get right of the restrictions, but mostly because of HIV/AIDS, and stuff. I don't know, I kind of understand it. What if someone who was just released from a hospital got "sick" during the flight? The person could be potentially dangerous. I'd assume it's for the safety of the passengers, more than not wanting to deal with treatment if something happens after landing.

I tried to make this sound as least offensive as possible, I'm sorry if it was still offensive.

one lie at a time is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)