Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:
thoughts?

I just wanted peoples thoughts on this.

I am a day patient at a secure rehab. And today, we had the local conservative MP have a look around the house and chat to a few people.
Then they left a load of vote conservative leaflets around the place.

I'm wondering if this is entirely fair.
There are quite a few very unwell patients, and I'm not saying they shouldn't have a right to vote, but i was wondering if it was fair seeing as I didn't notice this MP talk about anything she would do if she won the election, she just walked around and said hi to a few people. But
Some patients are very impressionable and I'm wondering if its fair, I see it as a little manipulative. But I may be overreacting.

Thoughts?

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Mmm...I don't really think it's fair either, I could understand it if they actually talked to you guys about stuff but just to walk in and do that is unfair.

Just my opinion.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
wake up

I am currently:

hmm if they haven't said what they would do to help people in that situation i would see it as unfair.

What do the staff think?

wake up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

At varying times since I've lived in England I've had leaflets come through my door for all the political parties.

It's part and parcel of an election really and it may not be fair BUT it's for the staff to remove the leaflets in my mind.

Is this for the mayoral elections?

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I don't know which elections.

I'm not sure what the staff think, HCAs don't really question stuff, it was the director showing them round.
I just think that some of the patients would be easily convinced by a friendly word or two.
I don't get involved with politics, but people need to make informed choices.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 25-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I do agree and I think it would be wrong if the other candidates weren't given the same access.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
Tig

Quote:
Originally Posted by random.swirls View Post
I do agree and I think it would be wrong if the other candidates weren't given the same access.
QFT.

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Fry

I am currently:

I'd view it as discriminatory if they didn't leave the leaflets because people there are mentally unwell. Likely patients either won't be interested or are compus mentus enough to make a reasoned decision whether to vote for that party or not, despite other issues they have at the moment.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
The One Who

I am currently:

The director obviously didn't see anything wrong with it. I suppose if you want to raise an issue you'd need to go to them about it.

Personally I don't really see the problem. It may be that the MP is looking at doing some campaigning about this issue and doing some research, or it may just be a vote-spinner. Either way, it's part and parcel of politics. Be glad you actually saw your MP, most people never do!

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

ok, found out a bit more about it.

apparently, this particular mp is campaigning for better mental health something or other, and also, the place will be able to get planning permission if she gets elected.
so they actually chose for her to come in.
which i still think isnt right, i have no problem with the director himself, but only giving people the choice to speak to one representative type person?

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 27-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Freud View Post
which i still think isnt right, i have no problem with the director himself, but only giving people the choice to speak to one representative type person?
Who else would you want to speak to? And what is stopping you from doing so?

Old 27-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

im not personally interested in politics. i was just thinking about the ethics of it.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 27-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

The conservative MP made the choice to come in and see you. The fact that the other parties haven't done the same isn't exactly the same thing as not having the choice to see someone else.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Freud View Post
im not personally interested in politics. i was just thinking about the ethics of it.
There isn't really an ethical problem though, at least not that I can see. If someone did have a problem with it, then they could always write to a local councillor. The chances are at least one of them will be from a different party and/or will hold a different opinion to that of the MP.

The MP wouldn't be able to guarantee planning permission for anything. That would still be down to the council. They would be able to lobby the council, and probably swing their vote, but it's not a guarantee.

Old 27-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

like i said, i dont really get the whole politics thing!
just seemed, from what i saw, it was being shoved down peoples throats, and the nature of the place it is as well.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 28-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

hmm. I don't know the ins-and-outs of electoral law, or the type of place you are, but perhaps the patients who are unable to make an informed decision in an election [and the most likely to be easily swayed by a few kind words] are already exempt from voting?
Like I say, I'm not entirely sure, but I think there are some mental health exemptions from voting, and that's just the first thing that came to mind when I read your first post.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

you are right Jenna, but i thought it was all patients on a section 3 cant vote, but i know all the patients there are on a section 3, but some of them can.

and the ones who i know are unable to vote are the ones who are more well. which i dont really understand.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 29-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #18
The One Who

I am currently:

People who cannot vote:

- Anyone who is not on the electoral roll
- People from abroad, (other than EU citizens, citizens of the Republic of Ireland and qualifying Commonwealth citizens who are resident in the UK)
- People aged under 18
- Most sentenced prisoners.
- People who are detained in a psychiatric hospital as a consequence of criminal activity
- People convicted of electoral fraud/other crimes
- Members of the House of Lords
- People who have a severe mental illness and are unable to understand the voting procedure

So it will probably come down to a doctor's opinion on who can or cannot vote.

Old 29-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

ah, i see!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 30-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #20
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Given my recent behaviour in my london mayor thread, I feel I deserve to be ruled unable to vote on mental health grounds. Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)