Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 15-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:
RYL Revamp

Hi all,

So over the last few months there have been several threads around quiet boards and making changes to the forums.

There has been a vote and the general consensus is that change is wanted and so RYL is going to be overhauled as below:-

The General Boards

Introduction
General Chat, News & Debate - merged
F&D as a sub-forum
Research and Media as a sub-forum
Reviews & Recs and Creative - merged, new sub title
FC&Q - I still feel like it holds a weight of importance that warrants its own forum, regardless of activity levels
Picture board
Events and Meet Ups

The Support Boards

One board for eating issues
One board for self injury/harm
One board for serious
One board for GSA
One board for mental health
R and v kept as is
A and b kept
First Aid kept

Veterans General and Support will be merged back into one forum.

This is not going to be a quick or easy process as it is going to take time unless I magically discover a short cut!

No post's will be deleted I want to make that clear from the start.

I am going to start with the general boards and do them step by step so start merging News and Debate in with General Chat and so on.

The front page of all the boards that are merging will be done individually once done I will close that board for posting. I am going to block move all the remaining threads so it does mean some threads that are old will be in odd forums but it's the only way I can keep my sanity and 99% of old threads won't be bumped. If you do have an active old thread please PR it this will be the case principally for those in moving forward.

I will give notice that I am getting ready to move threads a few days before so you will have advanced warning that the board will soon disappear.

If I could do it in one fell swoop that would be amazing but as yet I can't that does mean it will be a turbulent few weeks especially as I know change is unsettling. Hopefully it won't be to arduous and RYL will settle down and function much better over the coming months.

:)

Last edited by random.swirls : 16-04-2015 at 05:57 PM.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

Old 16-04-2015, 01:41 AM   #2
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Thanks Cam :)

Well explained.

And the moving forward board? What's happening with that?

Old 16-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

As far as I knew it moving forward is going, and all positive recovery posts go in their relevant boards. So if you want to post about a year free SI it goes in the self harm board.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

Old 16-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Thanks sherlock holmes. I am coming up to four years free and I was worried where it would go as I like to make a new thread. I hope that people continue to reply as that's my only concern.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Old 16-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I will make sure to keep the positive/recovery threads bumped and replied to if the thread starter is still wanting replies :) and I expect others will do the same. It's important to have the recovery threads.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

Old 16-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Thanks so much Cam <3

Old 16-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Threads will just be moved so no deleting will happen.

As everyone voted for moving forward to be merged it would be rather silly to not reply to the positive threads so I hope and envisage people will do this.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen

Old 18-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I have found a way to do this automatically (thankfully!!!)

I am going to spend today and tomorrow sorting things out and will begin to move the threads from Tuesday.

Old 18-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by random.swirls View Post
The front page of all the boards that are merging will be done individually once done I will close that board for posting. I am going to block move all the remaining threads so it does mean some threads that are old will be in odd forums but it's the only way I can keep my sanity and 99% of old threads won't be bumped. If you do have an active old thread please PR it this will be the case principally for those in moving forward.
This is the only paragraph I don't understand. Why are we PRing active old threads? Is that just to make sure they go to an appropriate forum and don't just get moved in bulk to the same forum as the rest? But then you said that front page threads would be moved separately anyway so I'm confused!

Thanks for all your work on this Cam!

For future reference, had I made my moving forward thread about counselling after these changes, where do people think it would best be placed (it was essentially just a thread saying "yay I've stopped being a troll and am having counselling")? I was thinking GSA or Mental Health- would positive recovery posts be OK in these boards?

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 18-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Yep!

So for example using your counselling one as an example.

As it is currently on the first page I will move it probably to MH say. Once the active threads are done I will then block move all posts to one forum.

So for moving forward as most will be on SI I will move them to the Self Harm forum. If your counselling thread was on page 3 it would end up there.

If you wanted to bump it it wouldn't really be appropriate in SH so at the point of bumping just PR the post and we would move it to MH. If however you would never bump it again than it may as well stay in SH.

PRing anything now is a tad pointless as the move hasn't happened and will only increase the mods workload!!

Is that clear?

Old 19-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #11
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

That's clear :)

Where do you see most grief forum going to?

Old 19-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I'm going to block move the old to mental health as that was the sub forum.

Old 19-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #13
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Thanks Dash fingers crossed all goes to plan and I don't destroy Ryl!

Old 19-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #14
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Good one, yes I came here too to say good luck - your updates in each forum have been great, it looks very organised from the outside so well done!!
:)

Old 19-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #15
Iamcatbug
Cat

Question... What is happening to Pandora's box? Or indeed any of the other sub forums that haven't been mentioned, if there are any.

Old 19-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Pandora's box is a link to the main site if I remember correctly so I imagine that will stay.

Old 19-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #17
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Pandora's box isn't a forum as Sarah says.

If the board isn't up there it's going!

Old 21-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #18
Chocolate Fireguard
[Unintentionally Manipulative]

Well explained Cam, good luck with everything. :)

Old 21-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #19
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by random.swirls View Post
Yep!

So for example using your counselling one as an example.

As it is currently on the first page I will move it probably to MH say. Once the active threads are done I will then block move all posts to one forum.

So for moving forward as most will be on SI I will move them to the Self Harm forum. If your counselling thread was on page 3 it would end up there.

If you wanted to bump it it wouldn't really be appropriate in SH so at the point of bumping just PR the post and we would move it to MH. If however you would never bump it again than it may as well stay in SH.

PRing anything now is a tad pointless as the move hasn't happened and will only increase the mods workload!!

Is that clear?
That makes perfect sense, thanks for explaining!

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 21-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #20
nowhereman

I am currently:

Sounds like a lot of work for you, I hope it will be as easy as possible for you. Thank you for taking your own time to do this, and for asking members opinion too!

I also hope it will make things easier for all members. I look forward to seeing how it will look!

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)