RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 30-03-2020, 04:27 AM   #1
Mac-Man20

I am currently:
Military and Marriage

So I am wanting to join the National Guard, but my fiance doesn't want me to. We've had this discussion a couple of times and whenever we talk about it she breaks down crying and says shell leave me if I do. Her reasoning is that "she doesn't want a husband and father of our kids that could potentially be gone for some of the important events in our kids lives. The reason she's like this is because her father passed away when she was young and doesn't want me to be gone for our kids lives. I keep trying to rationalize with her that I wont be gone all the time. While I understand where shes coming from, its something that I feel compelled to do. I feel like I owe it to my country and to protect my family. I just need help in deciding on if I should go through with it. And if so, how do I tell her so that maybe she'll understand? I love her and don't want to lose her, but this is also something that I really want to do.

Mac-Man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 04-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Hey there, welcome to RYL.

It sounds as though you're both coming from two strongly conflicting viewpoints that ultimately may well not be compatible with one another. But it's definitely still worth having some more conversations to see if you can fully understand each other's viewpoints and try to find a compromise. Does she understand how strongly you feel and how important it is to you? And do you understand that the fact that you won't be away all the time may still not be enough for her and not how she wants to experience a relationship and having a family?

Ultimately, if you decide you're going to join the national guard at the expense of your relationship then that's your choice, and if she decides she cannot be with someone who is frequently away at the expense of losing you, then that's her choice. Neither of you is 'in the wrong' so to speak. But hopefully one of you will feel able to compromise and it won't come to that.

Good luck!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)