RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Detour. Derail
~* Formerly Voice Of Reason*~

I am currently:
Any Ferret owners out there?

I really want to get one....maybe a rescue ferret...and I've been doing my research into it to make sure I have the time/money/space but I was wondering if anyone on here has/had ferrets and what your opinions are as to keeping them as pets? any advice?

...&& the cracks begin to show...
**Lex**

Detour. Derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
RenewedHope
formerly: Ghosted Liberation & GhostsInSnow

I am currently:

I've never had ferrets myself but we did find one once and looked after it for a few days until we found the owner, also I know people who've had them.
I think they make brilliant pets and their loads of fun, they do like to chew a lot though and unfortunately do they smell a fair bit.
Otherwise though, like I said, they're really awesome and as far as I know, the chewing and smell problems are pretty easily sorted :)

Have fun with your new pet if you get one :)

RenewedHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
tinamarie

I am currently:

i have been a ferret owner for 10 years now, i got 3 of mine from a rescue, and they are the most loveing and gental pets, getting one from a rescue is beter because most likley they will be fixed and healthy, the only thing i would recomend is a food witout fish as an ingredeiant beacause it cause smelly poop lol, a ferret is like a kitten that never grows up, i think a ferret would make u a great pet, if u have any questions i will be happy to answer them and good luck

samara mea </3 miss you girl

Abby has givin me the gift of confedence

happiness is where we find it but barely where we seek it!

tinamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Isoverity

I am currently:

Ferrets are kinda cute but I don't trust them

Parents charged after ferret chews off baby's fingers

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75E4ZG20110615

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
tinamarie

I am currently:

ferrets are gental animals in my 10 years i was only bitten once and it was because i scared him, i have baby cousins who cuddle with them, they will only attack with agresson if they thik they r being harmed i still have maxi he is 9 yeas old and he has never once bitten anyone

samara mea </3 miss you girl

Abby has givin me the gift of confedence

happiness is where we find it but barely where we seek it!

tinamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Athiri
Perpetually Lost.

I am currently:

Ferrets' temperaments are like any animal: they vary.
I've had two ferrets, a female and a male. Both were rescues but while the male, Chaos, has never bitten anyone and is extremely tolerant of children and the inexperienced, Charm had been badly abused and was always untrusting of humans.
Ferrets make wonderful pets provided you have the time and energy for them. Yes they smell (females smell less though) but you get used to it very quickly. The only warning I'd give is that when they get older they do have a tendancy to get tumours and cancers as Chaos has right now, and that can get pretty expensive.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Athiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
ferretmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
Ferrets are kinda cute but I don't trust them

Parents charged after ferret chews off baby's fingers

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75E4ZG20110615

in that case all ferrets are pure eviiiillll

as with any animal, it has teeth, dont let small annoying ppl poke them

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretmonster View Post
in that case all ferrets are pure eviiiillll

as with any animal, it has teeth, dont let small annoying ppl poke them
you beat me to it!!
i love your profile pic btw!!

yeah i have two ferrets,did have four...theyre ace!

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Perplexity

I am currently:

We had ferrets when I was growing up, they were used for hunting. (not my choice!!) They are amazing little creatures with great personality.

Like any animal the temperament can vary but if you put in the time and effort they are very loving and affectionate.... they also like to sleep in work boots :)

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Perplexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #10
Detour. Derail

I am currently:

thanks for the advice guys!!! im gonna do some more research to make sure I have the time, funds and space, but if all goes well hopefully I'll be updating this thread soon to show you my new ferret, but until then....any more advice would be really appreciated!! but all the replies so far have been awesome so thank you!!!

**Lex**

Old 22-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
Teddy.Lupin
Metamorphamagus

I am currently:

First of all, at least one version of that story I've read does point out both the child and ferret were neglected. The ferret was clearly starving, and since ferrets are carnivorous, ate the baby's fingers. This is a failure of responsible adults not of the ferret. I don't think you're planning on leaving a starving ferret with a baby so that's is fine.

Right. I have two ferrets currently and they are both male neutered rescue ferrets. They are both very friendly, while one would not bite at all, one does nip when it gets excited (which you'll understand if you see a ferret war dance). They will often stay young in behaviour until they die which makes them really fun pets, but some can also be lazy and just want to cuddle, they all have a personality.
I would advise a first time ferret owner to get a ferret of at least 6 months in age, once they are out of their kit behaviour, nipping and chewing, despite how adorable kits may be.

Also, I would not advise a first time ferrets keeper to get unspayed/unneutered ferrets. Full hobs are often vicious, though not always the majority are (experience here). First time ferret owners should NEVER consider an unaltered female as a female that comes into heat can DIE of a type of anaemia unless she is mated with a full or vasectomised hob. Neutered hobs can't do the job. Sometimes a vet may be able to administer a (fairly expensive) jab to bring her out of heat. I would also a point out that there are, to quote my local rescue owner on the subject "enough ferrets out there". So don't go dabbling in ferret husbandry unless you want to face being an owner of lots of ferrets.

If you are based in the UK, you might want to check out the British Ferret Club, who have information, and also a forum where you can ask any other questions. They also run ferret shows and PR events throughout the UK. I went to my first show recently with my two ferrets, and one brought home 3rd place in his class. It was a great experience, and I got to handle some kits who were invariably nippy, and which on one occasion, I had to remove from their owner's hand.

Also, if you're from the US, check ferrets are permitted in your state, and similarly in some countries they are not legal or require a permit.

I also find the book 'Ferrets for dummies' by Kim Schilling very helpful. It's helped me make decisions on feeding and housing as well as having a useful guide to medical conditions your ferret might suffer from as well, so you know when to go to the vets. If you have any questions you think I could answer, since I have done several PR events for the British Ferret Club now, just ask.

Sometimes you have to laugh, or you would cry.

Teddy.Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #12
Detour. Derail

I am currently:

^Thank you so much!!
Firstly....I don't have small humans running around my house and as I have grown up around animals the idea of one being neglected horrifies me.
also...I am from the UK so I will check out the British Ferret Club!
In reference to spaying/neutreuing....as I say I have grown up with animals all my life so although I cant SPELL it haha, I have always had my pets neutered.
I was looking at some rescue ferrets the other day, and I think that if I do end up getting one, it would be from a rescue centre so would be a little older and less kit-like!
Thanks again for all the advice!!!!!!!!!!!

**Lex**

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)