RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Crazy Cat Lady

I am currently:
Mirtazapine alongside an SRRI.

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone has been on Mirtazapine whilst taking an SRRI.

I've been on 100mg Sertraline for two years now and my GP and Psychiatrist both felt I needed to try Mirtazapine 15mg at night.

I am incredibly nervous about the possible weight gain from this medication as I've read weight gain is a common side effect and as I have an eating disorder, this is something that's distressing me greatly although I can't carry on living how I am now so I guess it's worth a try.

If anyone has been on an SRRI, alongside Mirtazapine, it would be great to hear your experiences.

Crazy Cat Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I don't know about the combination but when I was on mirtazapine I was on a second drug that is also known for massive weight gain and my weight didn't change. The only real thing I noticed was I tended to crave sweet food (rather than savory which is what I would usually crave). If both your GP and psychiatrist have suggested it, it might be worth giving it a try for a few weeks or so to see how it affects your appetite and weight? Have you discussed your concerns with them?

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I've been on mirtazapine twice, it's a very good medication.

I gained weight the first time I was on it and lost weight the second time.

I think I gained weight the first time because I was severely depressed and sectioned in hospital and literally the only thing I did was eat all day, and got zero exercise. My diet was not healthy at all.

As long as you eat a balanced diet and exercise the recommended amount then I don't think mirtazapine will be an issue.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
youonlyliveonce

It works wonders for my sleep n mood etc it's quite a low dose so hopefully U won't see much weight gain

Hope it works

Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Wonderland.

I haven't been on it with an SRRI, but am on it with an SNRI.

It hasn't made me gain weight and I am IP so very limited exercise and stodgy hospital meals.

Without going into the weight gain side effect, it has brought me out of a very low depression, and keeps me calm at night as it is sedating. I sleep really well on it.

I would definitely give it a shot. If you do put weight on and decide it's not worth it then you can come off of it.

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
ParanormalChickenGeek

I am currently:

Just some useful information: drugs with side effects of 'weight gain' don't LITERALLY make you gain weight themselves, they actually just increase appetite, which usually makes people eat more thus the weight gain. However if you continue with a balanced diet and look out for this then weight will not necessarily be gained.

We're all architects of our own private hell
No-one can hurt us like we hurt ourselves...

ParanormalChickenGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

I have been on it alongside fluoxetine and *if* there was weight gain it was minimal in the grand scheme of things.

It helped me sleep and I think it helped my mood a bit. Its worth a try.

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I was on mirtazepine for a bit.
I did notice that my appetite increased at first, but it settled down after a week or so.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Crazy Cat Lady

I am currently:

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I'm going to give it a go; I have nothing to loose.

Crazy Cat Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I haven't been on mirtaz with an SSRI, but have been on it by itself for about a year and a half now and only gained a tiny bit of weight and that was intentional because ain't nobody got time for being too skinny. I find that in the day or two following starting it or increasing the dose I had pretty extreme hunger, but it does die down quickly. (For me, I had problems with lack of appetite so I'm on it partly because it increases my appetite, but only to normal, nothing extreme).

I've also found it helpful mood-wise, and it gives me a good dose of sleepiness at night, so good if you've any trouble sleeping.

I think it's a brilliant medication, so I hope you find it equally helpful!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)