RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #41
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Im going to have a drink tonight too, celebrating the fact that Im not someone who celebrates anyone's death and has some sort of compassion.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #42
The Herbalist.

I am currently:

Don't understand why people just have to say that. Just don't say anything and have your little party over someone's death. .-.

The Herbalist. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #43
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlebone View Post
Im going to have a drink tonight too, celebrating the fact that Im not someone who celebrates anyone's death and has some sort of compassion.
This. Break out the vino!

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #44
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahbear View Post
Don't understand why people just have to say that. Just don't say anything and have your little party over someone's death. .-.
Totally agree. I really think it says something about her person if they openly celebrate it. Disgusting.

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #45
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

She's having full military honours at her funeral. They will have to have some serious security I reckon oterwise no doubt some people will turn it into the wrong type of celebration.

Also I wonder if they will still sing the song in billy Elliot theatre show about being happy when she's dead tonight. I imagine it would be a bit odd to sing it on the day she died.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #46
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I posted a quote about her on Facebook a few seconds after I learned of her death, but took it down after a few minutes after reflecting and realising that it was in poor taste and not quite as humorous as it was when she was still alive because, as many have said here and elsewhere, she was a mother and a human being and now she's dead. I won't be mourning her passing, but I won't be celebrating her death either. The harm she and her cabinet did will probably be talked about a lot more today than the good they did, but I think people should keep in mind that she did in fact do some good during her time in office. The same can be said for most leaders. It's impossible to please everyone after all. Not everyone mourned when Reagan and Churchill died, not everyone will mourn when Bush and Obama and Cameron are dead, and not everyone is mourning now that Thatcher is dead. And that's okay. But it's always unnerving to see people celebrating the death of a person who led a country through a very difficult period and, as Jodie said, it's more of a reflection on them than anything. I won't go so far as to call it vile or disgusting, but at the very least it's disrespectful, tasteless and classless.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #47
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sam View Post
She's having full military honours at her funeral. They will have to have some serious security I reckon oterwise no doubt some people will turn it into the wrong type of celebration.

Also I wonder if they will still sing the song in billy Elliot theatre show about being happy when she's dead tonight. I imagine it would be a bit odd to sing it on the day she died.
As far as I know they are, I know someone who has a friend in the show and he said that theyre still planning to.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #48
[Luna]

Quote:
It both disgusts and worries me that we live in a society where people are planning street parties and celebrating her death.People are saying they are going to go and spit on her grave. I dont have any love for her or her policies/actions in power but it is disgusting that people are gleeful that she is dead.

Whatever is said about her not being a person, she was. She was a wife, a mother, a human being, one who spent years fighting dementia and becoming more secluded as time went on. She doesnt deserve to be called an 'old slag who stinks of piss' (read that on my facebook) or anything else.

From a personal standpoint my nan is also 87 and had a stroke 2 weeks ago, thankfully hadnt died but I can put myself in the shoes of her family and I cant imagine how horrible it is for them to know that there are going to be parties and people celebrating her death.Vile.
I agree with Liv.
My thoughts are with her family.

Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #49
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Quote:
As far as I know they are, I know someone who has a friend in the show and he said that theyre still planning to.
I think it would be respectful to maybe have a moments silence before the show. I don't see any reason to cut the song, as it tells a story of some peoples opinions of her, and even though she's dead, their opinions are still valid. Would be nice to honor the death though.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #50
Stellata

She was pm when I was in my teens.

She's not of my political affiliation, but still I was stunned, she was one powerful lady. The courier who came into work told us, just as I was about to sign for the delivery, and it really stunned me, stopped me in my tracks for a while.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #51
oliness

I am currently:

I was brought up to hate this woman and her party. But since I started to think for myself more I have wondered if in some ways she was good for the country. I think this might be the best analysis:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ia...eligious-icon/

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged,
sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."

oliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #52
squirrelspit

I am currently:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfre...eath-etiquette

^ basically that.

Its been funny watching my facebook today, the northerners are pleased/being derogatory. The southerners are being indifferent/talking about what a strong leader she was.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #53
Ash*

I am currently:

I live in Liverpool City Centre and there's a full on riot/"party" going on at the main train station, opposite St Georges hall.

"Watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

Ash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #54
Isoverity

I am currently:

I like Nial Ferguson's (Oxford historian teaching at Harvard) take on Thatcher. He reminds people how much heat Thatcher took for wanting to keep UK currency away from the EU machine that is now falling apart.

"She was right to push Europe in the direction of real free trade by backing and signing the Single European Act of 1986. Yet she was equally right to oppose the idea of a single European currency.

On this issue, the Financial Times, as well as a great many other respected publications, owes Thatcher not only the respect due to a great leader, but also an apology. Throughout the 1980s, many critics consistently heaped opprobrium on her for resisting the efforts of her own cabinet to get sterling into the European exchange rate mechanism.

Consistently, Thatcher’s sceptics took the side of those, such as Nigel Lawson, Geoffrey Howe and John Major, who favoured “shadowing” the Deutschmark and then pegging the sterling-mark exchange rate. "

"Margaret Thatcher: Right about nearly everything"

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/26c7f5f8-a...#axzz2PuOF3Xcp

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #55
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

I don't think that one should ignore somebody's behaviours in life just because they're dead and somehow dying entitles you to more respect (also think that's quite a dangerous path to go down), but I think that rather than celebrate, death should cause people to take an unbiased look at somebody's life. The idea of celebrating is a little bit sick, just because it seems totally opportunistic.

Thatcher, and her party, did some deeply unpopular and deeply unhelpful things. They also did some good things. Taking one without the other just seems silly.

There was an economic boom whilst she was in power, and she did also shut down the (economically disastrous) mines. However, the lack of re- or up-skilling of the people in the mining communities absolutely destroyed local economies, a lot of whom are still struggling today. The economy as a whole did quite well, but unemployment peaked and income inequality rose.If you look at the short-term economic impact of her during her reign, vs the longer term impact of the unemployment and lack of skilled work in those areas, it's less impressive.

However, that's not to say that there was benefit in some of what she did - mining was not a successful industry, neither really was steel. It's not so much what she did but the way she did it that I think is not great.

The idea that Billy Elliott would somehow be cancelled is a very odd one - still went ahead as planned.

Gonna be interesting to see how the next few days go. It is really interesting currently reading the very mixed responses both on the left and the right.

Edit: Oh yeah, and she hated feminism.

Edit 2: Jack, just saw your post. Hate to say it but Niall Ferguson is well known for having a definite bias in UK political discourse. I wouldn't go to him for an unbiased opinion, just as I wouldn't go to Owen Jones either :P

Last edited by Dreaming. : 08-04-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #56
Palladion

I am currently:

I'm the same, growing up all I heard was how bad Thatcher was, but then pretty much my entire family were miners, so I suppose they had reason to dislike her. From pictures I have seen about how my family had to live, I can certainly see why they didn't like her.

Also my mum calls her Maggie Thatcher the milk snatcher.

So while i'm not celebrating that she's dead, i'm not sad either. I don't really know enough about the situation to dislike her as much as the rest of my family, who i'm sure are having their own small celebration right now.

Last edited by Palladion : 08-04-2013 at 11:50 PM.

We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken

Palladion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #57
Taraxacum
This Member is currently Banned

Not cancelled, just one song removed

Taraxacum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #58
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming. View Post
I
Edit 2: Jack, just saw your post. Hate to say it but Niall Ferguson is well known for having a definite bias in UK political discourse. :P
Good -UK needs a bit from the other side lol

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #59
Gordon.
Tanquergay

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash* View Post
I live in Liverpool City Centre and there's a full on riot/"party" going on at the main train station, opposite St Georges hall.
Really? I was there tonight

Founder of: Capstealy avoidance method 3 aka The Steph Da First Method

The picture above was kindly created by Sentient Treacle (leafy girl)

Gordon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #60
null_n_void
Yes, I'm an avatar now!

I am currently:

Right, I think I'm gonna regret this... My feelings on this news story...

I was born in the North East of England. I am Northerner through and through and damn proud of it. Margaret Thatcher ruined the North of this country and I don't think it will ever truly recover, no matter what anyone says. It is always a sad, horrible day when anyone dies and my sympathies go to her family, but myself and my family felt the result of her actions.

I cannot and will not shed a tear, but I do not dance on her grave either. I didn't like the conservatives then, I do not like them now and she is everything they embodied.

I'm sorry, but these are my personal opinions and If I have offended anyone, I am sorry and this wasn't my intention. I was just saying my mind.

‎"Damaged people are dangerous because we know we can survive"

null_n_void is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)