Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Ranger Fairy

I am currently:
Eating Disorder Question - Repairing gag reflex?

Last night I sort of threw up/ half refluxed the milk I took with my meds, I tried to keep it in but ended up on my top and the kicthen floor. I know or think strongly my gag reflex is screwed to years of serve purging, I'm wondering wheter it is permentaly damged or it whether it will correct it's self over say 5 years. My reflex is very senitive and will go if my tummy doesn't like something. But I haven't purged on the same level for 3/4 years, but I have done it very very very ocassionally but I haven't done for about half a year. Is it possible it will never repair itself or that it could improve over years and years?

I'm really sorry if this is an ovbious question, its just its such a pain and in certian meal situations very embrassing.

xxx

Ranger Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 21-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
angel of despair

I am currently:

hey huni, em id go to a doctor about that. a doctors more likly to advise you, i tihnk theirs certain meds that can help with it to. im not certain though..

angel of despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

The muscles in your throat have become lose which causes stuff to come back up. It can over time get better but will probably never be perfect. It might be worth speaking to your GP about as they might be able to recomened treatments for it. I cant think of any off the top of my head but there might be some.

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Bitter_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Ranger Fairy

I am currently:

Thanks, I'll mention it when I go to the GP next.

Has anyone else had this same problem years later? Has it got better? Does anything help or make it correct itself quicker? Or any ideas what could make in less embrassing/ ovbious in a public situation?

xxx

Old 21-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
snowy_owl

I am currently:

Like others have said, it will probably never be perfect but it may well improve over time.

I had some eating-disordered behavior for just under a year, and while I wouldn't classify it as anything more than mild/moderate, it has still f'd up my digestion. I've been recovered for five years and still have a lot of trouble keeping my food down.

So... maybe you will get better. Maybe you won't. It's hard to tell, and I think a lot of it depends on the individual. I hope you get better, though!

"I asked the sun to tell me about the big bang. The sun said 'It hurts to become.'" -- Andrea Gibson, I Sing The Body Electric Especially When My Power Is Out

snowy_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Perhaps you might benefit from having a post inthe ED board? I can move this one over if you want me to, just let me know.

Old 22-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

At the users request im going to move this into the ED board. I hope some of our lovely ED board people will be able to offer more support.

Thanks
Kim

Old 22-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

Hi. I have acid reflux and it is very annoying and sometimes quite painful. The food comes up a lot and stuff gets stuck*or feels stuck* and well... not nice.

I think it can get better but may never be perfect. There are meds that can help and can relief you. x

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Ranger Fairy

I am currently:

As in anti-acid and relux meds from dr rather than over the counter?

Do really they help? or improve it

xxx

Old 22-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

For some, yes it can.
I take Peptac liquid to help relief me for short term, but am prescribed a proton pump inhibitor (don't take it though, need to get myself sorted out first before I take meds again), there are different types of meds that can help, it's trial and error really.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I don't have advice to offer about the reflux I'm afraid :(

But I wonder... do your meds state you should take them with milk? If not, you really shouldn't lol.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
x_Electrify

I am currently:

I oversensitised (right word?) my gag reflex and the doctor prescribed anti-emetics.

Hindsight is a rather beautiful thing...

x_Electrify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
surprising mystery

I am currently:

^ Is it true that anti-emetics tighten the oesophageal sphincter? Im guessing if it is, thats how they work?

L_M_G is my mummy :) inkerman and razorbladedarling are my two non-identical twin sprogs (concieved on same day) Scabette< cos she has the cutest puppy dog eyes and i cant resist!feeling-afraid< my bottle of glitter!! which i just have to have :Pmidnight stars< my gorgeous sister, whom i love to bits ;) Dance With The Fairy< *star*gazing*buddie :] Broken-Fairy is my partner in crime ;) little_miss is my real life saviour PaperClip is my stationary queen

surprising mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
x_Electrify

I am currently:

Possibly, it just made the reflex non-existant, it was like it had been numbed, so maybe that's how it works? I just know that it really works!

Hindsight is a rather beautiful thing...

x_Electrify is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)