Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 11-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Isoverity

I am currently:
Bras Make Breasts "Saggier", 15-year French Study Reveals

"Bras Make Breasts "Saggier", 15-year French Study Reveals"

Women have long been told that a good bra can help support the chest, relieve back pain and prevent sagging. However, a new 15-year French study reveals the opposite: bras do little to reduce back pain and, over time, they can actually make breasts sag even more.

Researcher Prof. Jean-Denis Rouillon, a sports science expert from the University of Besançon in eastern France claims that "bras are a false necessity," according to The Local.

"Medically, physiologically, anatomically - breasts gain no benefit from being denied gravity," said Rouillon. "On the contrary, they get saggier with a bra."

Rouillon and his team spent years measuring the changes in the breasts of 330 women using a simple slide rule and caliper at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire (University Hospital) in Besançon, where he carried out his research.

He found that no evidence that bras helped ease back pain. Instead, he found that the chest supports could even add to the problem.

According to The Connexion, the findings suggest that breasts would gain more tone and support themselves if no bra was used. Researchers explain that bras limit the growth of supporting breast tissues, leaving the breast to wither and degrade more quickly.

The study found that women who took off their bras for good experienced a 7mm lift in their nipples each year they didn't wear a bra. Researchers also found that bra-less women developed firmer breasts and saw their stretch marks fade.

Some of the women who took part in Rouillon's study told France Info that not wearing a bra helped ease their back pains.

Capucine, a 28-year-old participant in Rouillon's study, swears by the results and hasn't worn a bra for two years.

"There are multiple benefits: I breathe more easily, I carry myself better, and I have less back pain," Capucine said, according to France Info.

However, Rouillon says the findings do not mean all women should throw away their bras.

"It would be dangerous to advise all women to stop wearing their soutien-gorge as the women involved were not a representative sample of the population," Rouillon said, according to The Connexion.

While his initial results "validated the hypothesis that the bra is a false 'need'," he says that women who have been wearing bras for a long time would not gain any benefit from stopping now.

http://www.counselheal.com/articles/...dy-reveals.htm

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
offlineforever
Left RYL

I would be wary given it only studied 330 people, if they had done a couple of thousand I'd be more willing to look at this in more detail.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
GlitterTrashDoll
eZine Editor

I am currently:

I bet he just wants to see boobs jiggling about.

DILLIGAF

"it’s when you’re acting selflessly, that you are at your bravest"
- Four.
CTFxC'er forever.

GlitterTrashDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Sketchy

I am currently:

^ heehee

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterTrashDoll View Post
I bet he just wants to see boobs jiggling about.
Who doesn't? *shifty eyes*

Stops hijack.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

I can feel my breast withering as we speak. Must be my bra.

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Stellata

Well, I've been wearing a bra for 30 years, with no sagginess I've noticed! But then I don't weigh very much.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Beautifully Broken
Even The Best Fall Down Sometimes.

I am currently:

I've not noticed any sagginess in mine and I've had a child who I breastfed for the first 3 months. I'm assuming it would all be dependent on whether they had children (can cause sagginess if breastfeeding) and if they had the correct bra size? There's many women in the world that are wearing the wrong bra size.

Beautifully Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
offlineforever
Left RYL

I'm wearing the right size, got measured at easter!

Left.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautifully Broken View Post
I've not noticed any sagginess in mine and I've had a child who I breastfed for the first 3 months. I'm assuming it would all be dependent on whether they had children (can cause sagginess if breastfeeding) and if they had the correct bra size? There's many women in the world that are wearing the wrong bra size.
boobs are never quite the same again after breastfeeding.
*mourns normal boobs*

i agree with the above, it's a rather small study, and lots of women don't wear the right size bra. i probably dont because getting measured is effort

I also agree with the statement that he might just want to see boobs jiggling about

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourockmysocks View Post
Dear Jack,
I'm beginning to worry about you.
Thanks but my boobs are ok!

Actually this article was linked on Drudge Report today so it became a major story. Having 5 sisters I always used to read the articles about wrong breast size and cancer link - which seems to be all wrong now (or so I read)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...breast-cancer/

Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

I've been wearing a bra for over 15 years and mine aren't saggy ......though i hardly have any boobs,so,erm that could be why!

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
offlineforever
Left RYL

I always go to M&S Sarah, for the exact same reason.

Left.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

I think it'd be a more credible claim if it were researched a lot more, 330 women, as said, isn't very many at all and they even said it isn't representative of the population.

I knew two women who were twins, one never wore a bra and her breasts sagged more than her sister who wore a bra daily. I think generally if you wear the right size bra it'll help to minimise sagging later in life.

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Beautifully Broken
Even The Best Fall Down Sometimes.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacoethes View Post
boobs are never quite the same again after breastfeeding.
*mourns normal boobs*

i agree with the above, it's a rather small study, and lots of women don't wear the right size bra. i probably dont because getting measured is effort

I also agree with the statement that he might just want to see boobs jiggling about
I haven't noticed a difference in mine! Unless I'm maybe turning a blind eye cause I don't want to admit that maybe my boobs have sagged?! Haha xx

Beautifully Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demons To Some View Post
I think it'd be a more credible claim if it were researched a lot more, 330 women, as said, isn't very many at all and they even said it isn't representative of the population.

I knew two women who were twins, one never wore a bra and her breasts sagged more than her sister who wore a bra daily. I think generally if you wear the right size bra it'll help to minimise sagging later in life.
I think activity level must also play a part. Some mod in Vets (Anthonio I think) once gave a detailed analysis of breast sag and "micro tears" that accumulate over time. If a gal is athletic/active and their is movement then that might be a sag factor.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

^ Yes that would make sense too. Also perhaps other factors, being overweight/having large breasts (as excess fatty tissue would weigh more therefore may increase sagging) and possibly breast feeding as mentioned.

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
ferretmonster

No way in hellmi a m getting rid of my bras, my boobs are too big for such things. Also do we have to go braless for exercise, coz rhat would hurt!

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
pixiedust_11

I am currently:

My dear goodness I seriously can't imagine having to do exercise with no bra...

That would literally be the most painful experience of my life :/

Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world awaits in darkness for the light that is you.

pixiedust_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
null_n_void
Yes, I'm an avatar now!

I am currently:

My wife saw this story and all she said was "Trust the french to try this!"

‎"Damaged people are dangerous because we know we can survive"

null_n_void is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)