Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
angel of despair

I am currently:
Taming hamster advice

I'v had my little hamster for a couple of months now, and hes settled in and everything. The problem is I dont know how to get him use to being picked up. He'l happily climb all over my hands and he comes out of his little house when I call his name. But if i try to pick him up even if i only lift him a couple of inchs he freaks out and jumps of my hand, and if i try to scoop him up he squeaks and runs away. So is it possable to train him to be picked up? Are does it sound like he's the type of hamster that just isnt comfortable being picked up. This is the first hamster iv tried taming so I dont really know how to make him trust me more. Thank you!

angel of despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

I don't know if it's the same for hamsters but with guina pigs if you get a baby's tooth brush (as in human baby's toothbrush) and gently brush it over their body while they are in your hand it can accustom them to being touched in a way they like and then you can gradually run one finger lightly over their body, then slowly increase it to the point where they will sit happily in your hands.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

[''There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'I wish I was the monster you think I am.'

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
angel of despair

I am currently:

I dont think that'l work he already lets me stroke him and he'l happily sit on my hand as long as my hands on the ground. Thank you though

angel of despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Fair enough :)

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

[''There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'I wish I was the monster you think I am.'

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
yourockmysocks

Maybe he's scared of heights? THAT'S SO CUTE.

yourockmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
ferretmonster

Some small animals just hate being picked up, all I can suggest is keep trying and perhaps giving treats to persuade him its a good thing

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
lau_83
Laura

I am currently:

How about raising your hands gradually over a long period of time. Say like 1cm then a few days later 2 and so on, will take a while but maybe....
Or I could be talking utter crap cos I couldnt even get my old one to stop biting.

lau_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Dying_Angel

I am currently:

One of the hamsters i recently adopted wouldnt let any on pick him up or touch him.

I let him out of the sofa for a run and gradually stroked him and spoke to him. You could try sitting in an empty bath and let him run over you so he can get used to you

I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. ~ Girl Interrupted

When you dont want to feel, death seems like a dream. ~ Girl Interrupted

Dying_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)