Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #61
offlineforever
Left RYL

I have been informed by my GP that I cannot donate blood, bone marrow and even though I am on the organ donar list my organs may be too small (they are all smaller than normal) to be donated.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #62
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem Fatale View Post
Does anyone here donate platelets?
Only because my dad does. He used to donate blood but they have lots of that so now he gives platelets. You can do it more than blood as they are not taking all of the blood or something.
They suck out all your blood, sieve out the platelets and stick it back in.
They also need platelets more than just blood.
I do platelets every other week and I do a triple unit every time.

I like it a LOT better than doing blood.

There are two different types of machine that they use to do it, one is one needle and the other is two needle.

With the one needle, they alternate pushing and pulling. With the two needle, they push with one and pull with the other.

Fun fact: depending on what medications you're on and what you've eaten in the past couple of days, the color of your platelets CHANGES.

If you've got questions about it, hit me up.

Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #63
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnonymous View Post
I didn't quote you because I didn't see a great need. I suppose maybe I didn't think that would be a trend in opinion because I have never really come accross anyone who would look down on someone for choosing not to donate. My dad doesnt want to donate because he thinks the idea is somewhat weird and uncomfortable. It would never be my tack to argue that feeling he has, or 'rationalise it' because its his feeling; and his body, end of.
*hand up* I do not understand people who don't choose to donate their organs.

I'd respect it, in terms of end of life matters, even if I don't understand it, but I don't see why you wouldn't do something that actively and incredibly helps somebody else at absolutely no deficit to yourself. It's baffling. You mentioned that it's your dad's feeling and your dad's body, end of - which I understand (and please get that I'm not trying to disparage your dad, I'm just using this as it's a good example of common feeling); however, at the end of the day it's not your dad's body - when your dad dies it's hospital responsibility, then it's the funeral parlour's responsibility, then it's a grave, then it's worm-food - to believe that your body is something you own for the rest of time seems just quite a naive way to think of things.

Plus the fact that the % of people who say they support organ donation is massively greater than the % of people signed up. If it was a family member you'd support it, why are you passively supporting it? I'd far prefer the idea of an (easy) opt-out system.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #64
Flem Fatale
Leo Pard?

I am currently:

Ama, my dad does the two needle one and he likes it more as well.
That's cool that they change colour! I might have to see if my dad will let me go with him when he next goes as it sounds really interesting! I would deffo donate platelets if I could.

Organ donation is awesome. The only reason I haven't registered is that I don't know how useful mine will be. My liver is pretty much overloaded with the drugs I'm on, same goes for kidneys. Lungs are a bit iffy as I had a pneumothorax so I had to have a chest drain which caused scarring and stuff, I used to smoke and I am constantly getting chest infections. Corneas is a bit of a weird one and I'm not sure if it's effected by glaucoma as I have a family history of that. Will have to check that one out. There isn't really much usable tissue for one reason or another. My heart might be good though...
Basically my body has been through the mill and been cut up (surgically) way more times than is healthy but yeah.
Also, I want to be plasticized by Gunther von Haagen Daas.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Flem Fatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #65
Scumbelina

I am currently:

I can't give blood because I've had a transfusion but I was allowed to sign up to Anthony Nolan & have just received my 'spit kit' for matching!

Scumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #66
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Ama, my dad does the two needle one and he likes it more as well.
That's cool that they change colour! I might have to see if my dad will let me go with him when he next goes as it sounds really interesting! I would deffo donate platelets if I could.

Organ donation is awesome. The only reason I haven't registered is that I don't know how useful mine will be. My liver is pretty much overloaded with the drugs I'm on, same goes for kidneys. Lungs are a bit iffy as I had a pneumothorax so I had to have a chest drain which caused scarring and stuff, I used to smoke and I am constantly getting chest infections. Corneas is a bit of a weird one and I'm not sure if it's effected by glaucoma as I have a family history of that. Will have to check that one out. There isn't really much usable tissue for one reason or another. My heart might be good though...
Basically my body has been through the mill and been cut up (surgically) way more times than is healthy but yeah.
Also, I want to be plasticized by Gunther von Haagen Daas.
I totally failed at the one needle machine and as weird as it sounds, I find donating platelets very relaxing most of the time. I mean, what's not to like? Pizza and chocolate milk and a movie and while you do it, I get to be in a nice warm cocoon.

One upside of doing this for several years, anyone who wants a GOOD elbow stick from me has easy-to-follow marks. It worked put for me when I had to have surgery and when I donated blood last time. Guy stuck me for blood donation and was all like 'wow' it was over for me by the time they finally stuck the guy next to me and we laid down at the same time.

Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #67
~Grace~

Over the past couple of days ive been trying to join a bone marrow donor register. Im unable to.

I couldnt through the NHS, the reason being that Id had a blood transfusion
I couldnt through the Anthony Nolan Trust as I am over 30
.....and I cant through deletebloodcancer because I have mental health issues and am on medication. You have to be off medication for atleast two weeks prior to being considered/donating...but even then, if you still have mental health issues, (but not on medication) they wont let you as they feel it may be unsafe for you to do so..or it wouldnt be good for your own well being.

Anyway, thats my experience
Im devastated that I cant give bone marrow
I hope this helps

If anyone knows of any other reputable bone marrow donating trusts id be interested to know

~Grace~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #68
[Awakening]
~Jocelyn~

I am currently:

You have to have big veins to donate platelets. I was told that mine were too small, when I was on the higher end of the healthy BMI. The nurse told me that it tends to be big men that donate platelets. Still I plan to ask them next time I donate blood, as I've put on weight since last time.

I've joined the Anthony Nolan register as a direct result of this thread I'm awaiting my 'spit kit'

My love, a beautiful future awaits

[Awakening] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #69
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

I carry an organ donor card (though how much use they'll be after all the abuse I've given them I don't know ;-p) and have been consistently trying to give blood but various physical and mental health problems have thus far prevented me, but I'm still trying!!! (Reminds me I must find out the nearest place that does it now that I've moved, want to try again!). I also don't really hold with the whole I'm terrified of needles so can't do it thing, I am really ****ing terrified of needles but that has never ever been the thing stopping me, I think a life is more important than my irrational fears.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

[''There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'I wish I was the monster you think I am.'

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #70
Alilah

I am currently:

I donate blood and I'm an organ donor.
I'm not allowed to give blood until May though because I got tattoo'd and pierced within a few months of each other and I had to wait four months from my piercing.

I want to donate platelets but the nearest place is like an hour and a half from me :/ If it was closer I wouldn't worry but I can only donate blood because it doesn't interfere with my work and my bosses are arseholes

Salix

Alilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #71
Emmabob.

I am currently:

Quote:
Does anyone here donate platelets?
Only because my dad does. He used to donate blood but they have lots of that so now he gives platelets. You can do it more than blood as they are not taking all of the blood or something.
They suck out all your blood, sieve out the platelets and stick it back in.
They also need platelets more than just blood.
I wanna donate platelets but I don't know if I'd be allowed to with transfusions.

Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #72
whirlpools

Has anyone been able to donate blood whilst on atypical antipsychotics?

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #73
Louise
A Ray of Hope

I am currently:

I wish I could donate blood but can't due to my gentic condition.

“Never lose faith in yourself,
and never lose hope;
remember, even when this world throws its worst and then turns its back,
there is still always hope.”

Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #74
Shrink

I am currently:

I have done, but not recently because of anaemia and now i've had a tattoo.

Does anyone know if you can donate after having an iron infusion?

Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #75
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Everyone here seems to want to donate blood/bone marrow, even if they medically can't.

I feel like such a douchecanoe for not wanting to. :( I'm so sorry for being selfish, I'm just absolutely terrified of needles and I wont even accept an injection to potentially save my own life, nevermind somebody elses.

I would potentially be an organ donor though.

Last edited by Eccentrics : 10-03-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #76
Flem Fatale
Leo Pard?

I am currently:

Fair enough, it's not for everyone. It's big of you to say that. No one should think any less of you.
I think that sometimes alot of people don't realise how big an impact it can have to your health. Especially because things like bone marrow donation are such a big deal, as has been previously said about the counselling you have and being in a good mental place and such.
I don't know, there's alot of variables.
Hope that made sense...

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Flem Fatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #77
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentrics View Post
Everyone here seems to want to donate blood/bone marrow, even if they medically can't.

I feel like such a douchecanoe for not wanting to. :( I'm so sorry for being selfish, I'm just absolutely terrified of needles and I wont even accept an injection to potentially save my own life, nevermind somebody elses.

I would potentially be an organ donor though.
You aren't being selfish, and you shouldn't be made to feel bad about yourself for making your own choice.

I don't want to give blood, or donate my organs.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #78
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlpools View Post
Has anyone been able to donate blood whilst on atypical antipsychotics?
Yep I donated whilst on quetiapine with no issues.

i was also on lamitrogine and at first they wouldn't let me till they realised I was on it for mental health reasons not epilepsy

So it's worth phoning them up and checking as I think it's on a case by case basis and I woul check even if your on the same meds as me

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #79
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

That's good to know Cam thanks, I'm on quetiapine and was wondering.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

[''There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'I wish I was the monster you think I am.'

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #80
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I've never given blood but I am a organ doner and always carry my card with me just in case.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)