Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 23-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
forever_lost

I am currently:
"uh-oh" box!

I know lots of us post on here when we're feeling triggered so maybe this could help. An uh-oh box is a collection of things to help push the triggers away. Here's how to make one!

1.) Pick a place to keep your box. Think about where you usually are when you feel triggered. School, work, or your bedroom might be some good places. You can keep it in your closet, on your bedroom floor, under your bed, in a dresser drawer, a school locker, a locker at work, a cubbie, a desk drawer, your car, wherever you need it.

2.) Pick a "box." It could be a crayon box, shoebox, gift box, small plastic storage bin, a jewelry or memory/keepsake box, a box from some electronic device you bought (the box your cell phone, radio, or camera came in), or another small cardboard box, but it doesn't really have to be a box at all! You could use anything you have. A duffel bag, a pillow case you don't use, a backpack/book bag, or purse dedicated just to this purpose, a food storage container (tuperware, gladware, etc.), a basket, a crate, or even a paper or plastic bag (although they aren't very durable). You could even use a spare drawer. Some people like to make books instead and they fill the pages with random happy things, kind of like a smash book! You could use any notebook, journal, sketchbook, scrapbook, or even a photo album if you prefer a book.

3.) Pick things to put inside! You might want to do this step before decorating your uh-oh box. You wouldn't want to have a beautiful box and then find out the things you want in it wont fit inside! You might want to have a little extra space as well to add more things later. Things in the box should either distract you from being triggered or encourage healthy coping methods. It's a place for anything that encourages you and gives you hope, calms you down, builds up your confidence, helps you express yourself, takes your mind off the bad things and makes you smile! Here's a big list of examples of things you could put inside:
Arts and Craft Supplies: Crayons, colored pencils, scrap paper, blank or lined paper, construction paper, pencils and pens, gen pens, stick-on rhinestones, stamps and ink pads, ribbon, paint, paintbrushes, chalk, tape, glue, washable markers, buttons, sequins, glitter, pompoms, googly eyes, feathers, pipe cleaners, fabric scraps, permanent markers, small craft kit, magazine clippings of phrases/words or things that make you smile, coloring books or pages, scrapbooking supplies, beads, string, friendship bracelet making instructions, origami paper and instructions, scoobie strings to braid, a book or list of craft ideas, yarn and crochet/knitting needles, a camera, some people like to include red pens, markers, paint, or food coloring to use on their body or tracings of body parts as an SI alternative.

Things that inspire or motivate you: A list of friends and their phone numbers, contact information and leaflets from helpful organizations, encouraging quotes, operationbeautiful notes, printed PMs from members here on RYL =], funny or encouraging pictures, pictures of friends, family, or pets, a list of at least ten reasons of either why you are important, things non-physical you like about yourself, or why you want to stop self injury, a bucket list or a list of things you want to learn how to do, poems, inspirational stories, notes, cards, or emails from people you care about, little things family or friends have made for you, something religious if you are religious (like a cross or some favorite bible verses if you are Christian, for example), positive messages written to your "bad feeling" self from your "good feeling" self (how great it feels to be x days free, how good/proud you feel about yourself about something, how loved you feel by people, why you feel hopeful, etc.), lucky stars, a flash drive/usb/memory stick with special things saved on it, a list of your accomplishments, ribbons/certificates/awards you have won, a scrapbook/smash book or memorabilia from good times (like concert tickets, wristbands, pins, postcards, invitations, key chains, etc.)

Things to pamper yourself or help you relax: A CD of songs that either make you happy or calm you down (try to stay away from those sad and angry songs), nail polish, pictures and instructions for nail designs you want to try, bubble bath soap, a squishy stress ball, a little bottle of bubbles, bubble wrap, a tangle, small stuffed animal, a small blanket, slippers or fuzzy socks, magazines or a book, mohdoh/play-doh/moon dough/silly putty, things that smell nice like candles, incense (careful about burning triggers), perfume, lotion, pillow spray, or oils, a journal or notebook, a picture list of yoga positions, you might want to include tissues too in case you've been crying.

Other fun distractions: cupcake baking papers, a handheld game, a little puzzle, stickers or sticky notes, a favorite (positive!) DVD or CD or maybe one you've never watched or listened to before, distraction lists, slips of paper with activities written on them to pull out randomly and do until you feel better, jewelry to dress up in, fun makeup, pictures and instructions of hairstyles and makeup looks you want to try, balloons, a little black light, 20 questions!, book of puzzles or thinking games, little toys (like the ones you might get in a happy meal), Wreck This Journal, video games, a yo-yo, a slinky, legos, I-Spy books, temporary tattoos, things that light up or sparkle or are shiny/colorful, and nice to look at, and anything else special that makes you smile.
***A couple other things I thought of were a small food treat or money but remember eating or shopping too much to feel better are not healthy coping methods. If you feel you have a problem with either, then keeping a lot of money or food in your uh-oh box is probably not a good idea. Otherwise keeping a small amount of money (like $5 or less) or something small to eat in your box should be okay. You might use the money to get something from a vending machine or a trinket at the store, or maybe even invite a friend to go out for ice cream or coffee/tea. Ideas for food might a little candy, a chocolate or candy bar, or granola bar, or little plastic bags of cereal or chips/crisps, fruit, vegetables, crackers, etc. Make sure you don't leave food to get old and yucky in your box! Gum or mints might be a good idea too, or maybe even a packet of hot chocolate mix, drink mix, tea bags or special coffee. I sometimes keep a bar of what I consider "good" chocolate for uh-oh days, that I normally wouldn't buy or eat all the time, as it's a bit more pricey but delicious :P.
4.) Decorate your box! Don't have art supplies? Be creative! Use anything and everything, from crayons, markers, stickers, pictures, and quotes, to feathers, beads, wrapping paper, tissue paper, or glitter and sequins! You could even cut out the pattern on your paper towels and stick it on! If you use a bag, you could use iron-on patches, pins, fabric paint, or tie fabric scraps or ribbons and key chains to the handles and zippers. Express yourself. =]

If you guys have any other ideas for making an an uh-oh box let me know, and I'll add it above.
And if you make one, I'd love to see it or hear about it!

Post your pictures HERE, so everyone can see!!

Last edited by forever_lost : 22-05-2015 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added and organized some things

Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak.
Sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.
"But it's the truth even if it didn't happen."

forever_lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

you could also put activities on slips of paper, and pull one out randomly, do it, and repeat until you feel better.

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

I have an 'Emergency Box'.

It has playdough, pencils and paper, a cuddly, red food colouring, bubblewrap, notes and distraction lists.

I also thought about putting some special letters or cards from the people I care about in there. Or, just special things that make me smile and mean a lot to me. xx

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Popple

This is a really good idea! Thankyou for sharing!

You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Wonderland.

Aww thats an awesome idea :)

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Good idea :)

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Wonderland.

I used to take a little teddy bear with me everywhere so I could cuddle and talk to it when I was low and that really helped.

x

Old 23-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

ooooo, I'm so gonna do this! I've never done one before, but I actually really want to! :D:D

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
TinkerDebs
*hugs*

I am currently:

thats a good idea
but i already have a big happy box
so i may just put a small uh oh box hiding in the happy box lol

good idea

The Soul Would Have No Rainbows If The Eyes Had Shed No Tears
[Laurel Burch]

Believe in yourself and your dreams. For when you do. You can achieve anything!

TinkerDebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
mercipourlevenin

I am currently:

I like this idea im gonna make one i just dont know what to put in

And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
But I would let you down
I would make you hurt

mercipourlevenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

this is a good idea, i need to make one :)

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
trina1723

I am currently:

great idea, methinks i will make one =]

'the pain you feel is real,
you're not asleep,
but its a nightmare,
but you cant wake up anytime.'

trina1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Red Lotus.
Friendship is the most precious flower of all.

I am currently:

I think this is a great idea. Being creative really helps when i feel triggered so i will definately try this :)

Thanks xxx

Janghwa, Hongryeon

PM Me
for Chat or Support.

Red Lotus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Lyssie

I am currently:

I've started mine... although I'm currently using a bloomingdales 'little pink bag' (lol) so need to nick a shoebox from my mum... yay!

I'm not lost; not lost, just undiscovered
You see the look that's on my face
You might think I'm out of place
I'm not lost, no, no, just undiscovered

Lyssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #15
Vicky5621

I am currently:

I love this idea! I've started one but I'm adding some of the things that you've recommended. Thanks!

I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside.

"Gomenasai for everything. Gomenasai, I know I let you down. Gomenasai til the end, I never needed a friend like I do now. " - Tatu

Vicky5621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
silent-noise
we fear the things we cannot comprehend

I am currently:

i love the idea thank u so much for posting this!
im gonna try and make one :)
xxxxx

when like gives you hell kick it in the balls and RUN!!!

silent-noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Wakeful Dreamer.
Honourable mention.

I am currently:

Ooh, brilliant idea! = D

And... oh! I have a pile of paints and decorative stuff I have yet to use. Perfect opportunity.

Now I just have to find a box...

*begins to look*

oh non-believer, please believe me.
is there honestly nothing in this world
that keeps you living & breathing?
you're a ghost in your own
goddamn city.

Wakeful Dreamer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Wonderland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoViolet View Post
Now I just have to find a box...

*begins to look*
I think this is a good excuse to treat yourself to a new pair of shoes :)

Old 25-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
Wakeful Dreamer.
Honourable mention.

I am currently:

Hee hee.

Except I think I have some spare shoeboxes around.

*hides said shoeboxes out of sight underneath the bed*

Oh, well, guess I don't then. New shoes it is! ; P

oh non-believer, please believe me.
is there honestly nothing in this world
that keeps you living & breathing?
you're a ghost in your own
goddamn city.

Wakeful Dreamer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #20
Shadowsaurus
Left.

I LOVE THIS!!! I'm mostly triggered at college so I am making one to keep in my bag/locker when I finally get it :)
xxxx Thankyou

Shadowsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)