Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
lolacouse
Never Good Enough :-(

I am currently:
General Medical Question - Non Urgent - Any advice? Not been sleeping well.

I have not been sleepin well, if at all recently. There is no apparent reason for it. Any one got any advice or suggestions/tips that might help?
Thanks
x x x x

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!

lolacouse is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 16-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

Could you elaborate on how you are not sleeping well?
What's your sleep hygiene like?

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
iliketea416

I am currently:

They all sound very basic, but don't knock them until you've tried them :)

Have a shower around 1/2 an hour before you want to sleep. As your body cools down, it will make you feel drowsy.

Keep your bed for sleeping only, no eating etc. Make it like a sleep sanctuary. If you want to read (and reading is particularly good for sleeping) then lie down to do it so all you have to do is let go of the book.

Give yourself a bedtime routine. Do the same things before you go to bed, in the same order every night.

No matter what time you fall asleep, get up at the same time everyday, including the weekends. This will force your body into a natural sleep pattern. It's going to feel hellish the first few times, but trust me, this one really works.

If you're lying there restless don't just stay in bed. Get up and do something (out of bed) then go back to bed with your same bedtime routine.

Stop drinking caffine after 6, no coke, no tea etc. Sounds trivial but again, it will help. Try decaf. Also, no alcohol after 6 if you can help it. It's a common mistake that alcohol helps you sleep. It doesn't. It will help you get to sleep but it seriously disturbs your REM cycle so you won't actually sleep affectively.

Hope these helped. I used to struggle a lot with insomnia from some medication I was taking, and these really work, but you have to stick to them religiously.

iliketea416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
iliketea416

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malison View Post
Reading or watching a film to tire yourself out, have a bath or a hot drink, don't eat for a few hours before trying to sleep, all that basic stuff. Sometimes having the radio on quietly in the background can soothe you and send you to sleep. I've also heard that the sleeping aid tablets from Tesco work really well but I've never tried them myself.
Good luck x
Your advice is good, apart from the film bit. Films help keep the brain awake because of the changes of light. If you could watch a film, but cover the screen (does that make sense?) or listen to some music that would work. But watching something right before bed, or going on the computer for example are really bad ideas.

iliketea416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
lolacouse
Never Good Enough :-(

I am currently:

Thanks guys. I will try lots of these out. Especially making a strict routine.
Thanks x x

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!

lolacouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

do things that use all your energy throughout the day
try not to sleep too late in the morning
get a routine. wake up and go to bed at the same time if poss

have a bath ad a hot drink.
read a book while trying to nod off

Some days are still hard but they make the good days seem all the better :)

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
roiben
Insanity let loose

I am currently:

Heh, age old question - I have always had trouble sleeping, but, there are a few good tips regardless of what type of sleep problems you have.

1) Set a time to go to bed and get up and stick with it, however you feel - eventually your body will cotton on.

2) Have a 'before bed' routine, have some pyjamas you put on, drink a drink, take any medicine, clean your teeth, read if you want (I can't as I end up reading the whole book, but it works for some)... try and keep to doing the same things in the same order, as your body will treat these like zeitgeibers and start to associate them with sleep.

3) If your insomnia is a sudden temporary one, change your sheets, nightclothes and air out your room well in time for bed - sometimes we forget these things, but fresh cool linen at night can help us sleep.

4) Do not drink coffee or have anything caffeinated (including chocolate) for at least 4 hours before sleep - as it will disturb your sleep cycle

5) Same time with alcohol, it may make you dozy, but you will have a more restless night if you drink than if you had had nothing.

6) If you are still awake and up, get up and do something away from your bed. The worst thing to do is start to associate the bed with being upset and tired (believe me, years of practice taught me this). Get up, go to the loo, even if you don't need to, potter about for a short while then once feeling tired again, go back to bed. If you find yourself getting frustrated, tearful, throwing pillows, anything like that, pick up the pillow and a cover and take it somewhere else - like a couch. It will prevent you feeling that way about the bed specifically and the change of scenery may help you sleep by seperating sleep from the bed.

If you have long term (chronic) sleep problems, like I do, then go and speak to your Dr. A good dr will always recommend all the above things first. Sleep hygeine and routine are important, even with a Drs help, but they may be able to suggest sleep remedies, such as Nytol (herbal et al) which may help you sleep, or if all else fails a sleeping tablet.

Note - sleeping tablets really are and should be the last resort. They can not be relied on and are highly addictive so take a large amount of self controll to not take every night. If you have temporary insomnia, the above should help, if it is still going on after a long time, there may be something else going on, so getting checked out is a good idea (there is restless leg syndrome, sleep aponea, high blood sugar, overactive thyroid... and many other things that can affect sleep and a good Dr will check for these before recommending a treatment)

Good luck :)
Roiben x

If the Human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we wouldn't.

Emerson Pugh

My blog:
http://roiben-losttime.blogspot.com

roiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Animad

I'm going to move this to General Support and Advice where I feel it will fit better as this is more asking for general advice rather than being a specific first aid orientated question.

If you feel you want it moving back here for whatever reason then you could discuss this with the forum mods.

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Chaos
* Kez *

I am currently:

Something that works very well for me, is if you can get your hands on some lavender oil or some fresh lavender sprigs if you can get some from somebodys garden. Three drops of lavender oil in a nice hot bath will help you sleep because lavender is a natural relaxant.

Works for me every time :)

~*~ Proud Cat Owner ~*~

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

try this thread

Some days are still hard but they make the good days seem all the better :)

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

Yeahh, try having a bath or something before bed, maybe even try sleep therapy (PM me for more information). Hope you're alright though. xo.

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)