Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:
Serious Discussion and Support

Sorry if this seems insensitive or judgmental, it is not aimed at any one particular person and I don't want it to make anyone feel uncomfortable in using the Serious Board.

Lately, I have come across some threads on the Serious Board which, when I read them do not appear to sit well with what that particular board is for.

Is it me being silly or insensitive or have other people noticed such an increase? Should we be suggesting, nicely, to some of the posters that they would be best placed on the SI or MH board?

I say this because Serious is such a fast moving board and I am worried that those posters that require the support are having their posts pushed down very quickly to the 2nd page, where the posts are less likely to be read.

Again, this is not aimed at anyone. I just was wondering what other members think about this.

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

ThinkingofRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Sometimes Crazy
Left.

Even if you're not sure, you can put in the post report that in your personal opinion it should be moved/the benefits of it being moved. The majority of my post reports begin with "I'm not sure but" or "I don't know but". And the majority of the time, you're not the only one who thinks that and the thread is moved. Worth a shot at any rate :)

But yeah, I notice this quite often as well.

So you found a girl
That thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing
About really deep thoughts?

Sometimes Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battering Ram View Post
If you see a post you feel is better suited elsewhere then post report it and the mods can work out what is best. Plenty of people post in the wrong places, especially when upset, so that's the easiest way to get it sorted :)
I think a better approach is that members should somehow be reminded of the contents of the sticky at the top of the board as I certainly don't want to have be reporting the number of threads that I have come across as there are sometimes a fair few that I reckon would be better placed elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes Crazy View Post
But yeah, I notice this quite often as well.
Thanks, reassures me a bit.

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

Old 18-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

I did say that this was not aimed at any one person in particular. Besides, I just scanned your post in serious and to me it seems as though it belongs there as it discusses suicide, etc - as per the guidelines in the sticky.

I would like to reiterate that I do not want any member to feel uncomfortable about posting there, merely that somehow members should be reminded of the purpose of that board so that those whose posts belong there are going to get the requisite attention.

Old 18-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

In case anyone wonders whether I have gone crackers, I haven't. There were other posts between my own ones but the poster appears to have deleted them.

Old 18-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

Again i think its to do with people not understanding what should be posted in each board. Im not sure what to suggest because even posting things like what not to post and how to get the most out of your pose, many people seem not to take notice.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
squirrelspit

I am currently:

weve been talking abou this in the mod board actually. do you guys think it would help if we unstickied the sticky at the top for a bit, keep it bumped and put *please read before posting* or something?

and, like has been said up there.. if you do find somehting you think should be moved, please do report it.

=]

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

That could be a way of making it a bit more visible and act as a reminder.

*puts away mod mind reading powers*

Old 18-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

i have noticed this too !

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
Also, suicide notes are meant to be banned, but I've seen an influx of "I'm going to do it" in Serious in the "Say things you can't say to anyone" and "Secrets" thread AS WELL AS in posts.
I have noticed this also. I realise some people may find difficulties in deciding where their post should go but the suicide note thing definitely needs to be clamped down on. They are agaisnt the rules and for good reason.

Old 18-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?

I am currently:

Thing with a lot of this is that the mods aren't mind readers, and they can't read every single post in every single board or they'd just be stuck here forever. So if you see something that bothers you, post report it. Even if it's something by someone you know or something, all PRs are anonymous and all that :)

&& then buffy staked edward. the end.

Queen Crabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Crabbit View Post
Thing with a lot of this is that the mods aren't mind readers, and they can't read every single post in every single board or they'd just be stuck here forever. So if you see something that bothers you, post report it. Even if it's something by someone you know or something, all PRs are anonymous and all that :)
I understand that not everyone has my mind reading powers . No seriously, I realise the mods can't be chekcing every post but recently to me, at least, it appears that more and more threads in serious are detracting from those that should be on the board.

If it would be possible do something as Squirrelspit suggested, it might be a good idea because it appears to be pervasive through the board and therefore involving many members and as you say, no-one could possibly check them all. Perhaps a friendly reminder will reach more peeps aswell?

Old 20-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
squirrelspit

I am currently:

hey guys.

i have made a thread in serious here

if you think anything needs adding to it, please let me know.

Old 20-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #14
whirlpools

I question the bit that says that if your post refers to a mental illness it would be better to post in MHD. I view MHD as more of a board to discuss mental illness in general. Often, when I am deeply struggling with my issues, I don't want it to be "discussed". Threads can be hijacked in MHD and often when I am most unwell I will post in SD as it is more fitting with what my experiences and needs are - and they are very serious to me. Others may disagree but I never see my threads as being "psychotic rants" and feel they are as justified of the support offered in SD - thus, unless it becomes a rulebreak, I will continue to post there as I see fit. I don't think you have to be suicidal to post in SD. I am in the best position to decide what my needs are - at least as far as RYL is concerned.

And that came out sounding far more p*ssy than I meant - I don't feel annoyed at all, it just came out that way :)

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #15
squirrelspit

I am currently:

no no, not at all.

I understand what youre saying.

and yes, you know best what kind of support you are after..

The MHD bit was because there have been instances of people posting and asking for others opinions and experiences of a mental illness, as opposed to asking for support about theirs.. does that make sense?

It is difficult to know where to post sometimes.. there are so many boards, and if you have say.. a thread in mental health discussion, that you update, and then happen to mention any abuse you may have suffered.. well.. it could belong anywhere.

Old 20-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
whirlpools

Yes, I totally understand. Often people are very unsure where is best to post and it's good to have a reminder thread to point them in the right direction. Also it would be nice if people thought a post was better elsewhere to gently tell the OP that they might get more appropriate support in a different board.

I suppose I was anxious not to be criticised in my judgement of what's best for me, and a little concerned by Nil speaking about psychosis-related rants - although I agree that anything that is simply a rant with no request for support, suggestions or comfort is a little pointless and doesn't encourage positive communication.

I just think that so long as nobody thinks that they can assess a person's level of distress or need for SD better than the person themselves then it's good, and also that we don't run the risk of having to "compartmentalise" our struggles. I like SD because it's not all about labels or fitting into a box. It's whatever you're struggling most with at a given time.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #17
squirrelspit

I am currently:

the main thing about the reminder is about sticking to the rules re: suicide notes, tip sharing etc, and also to ask people to try not to have three or four threads on one page.

Old 20-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #18
The Mad Hatter

I am currently:

this wil be great but it will get off the page at some point and lost one thing that defintly helps is post reporting so the forum mods can know about the thread you think is out of place or against the rules it really helps the forum mods.

Sherlock: Oh, please. Killing me. That's so two years ago.

The Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 03:17 AM   #19
squirrelspit

I am currently:

chelle.. in my mod options, i can bump threads without replying to them so im going to keep it bumped. =]

Old 20-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #20
The Mad Hatter

I am currently:

Ahhh cool i didnt know you could do that.

Sherlock: Oh, please. Killing me. That's so two years ago.

The Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)