RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 05-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:
Feeling sad that Christmas can be hard

I have always known Christmas is a hard time for many people - last year I couldn't afford food so it was certainly challenging for me.

This year I work in community mental health and now I'm working with many people who can't afford gifts for their children, or are isolated on Christmas.

In my role I am helping link people to charities so they have a chance of a good Christmas but there's so many people struggling out there. It makes me really sad. I sit and be grateful for what I have and I make donations to charities, including toys, but I still feel sad..

I feel like I don't deserve to be happy or get gifts, I have so much I don't need anything I mean some people have nothing.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Epicene

I am currently:

You're doing what you can and trying to help others; please don't feel guilty. You deserve nice things even though you are more privileged than others. Nobody should feel sad at Christmas, that includes you!

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:27 AM   #3
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Oh that last point is a really good one, I hadn't thought of it that way.
Im still thinking I might ask for my gift from my mum to be that we buy toys to donate but not sure how she'd feel about that. I guess people get pleasure from giving loved one gifts if they can.
Thank you so much xx

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Should you never walk because some people don't have legs? Last year when you couldn't afford food, did you think everyone else should forgo Christmas dinner because it was luxurious compared to what you had?

I do understand feeling sad about it, as it is really sad how many people won't have a great Christmas, however that doesn't mean you're not allowed to enjoy yourself. As J said, you're doing what you can and so this Christmas you can enjoy not only the nice things you have, but also enjoy knowing that you've made Christmas brighter for the many people who you have helped through your work and through your donations to charity.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
Too Shy

I am currently:

As above, nobody deserves to be unhappy at Christmas time, and that includes you. Like Jenna said, when you had a really tough year with being unable to afford food last year, you didn't want everyone else to not have those things too.

It's a difficult area to work in because you are seeing the people who do need that extra support and who are having a very tough time. But you don't need to feel guilty for having things. Like you said, other people are getting pleasure from giving you a gift that they think you will like too. And you are also making a difference to all of those people you work with.

And not just by donating, or giving gifts, etc. Just by helping them at Christmas, just by being involved in that Christmas spirit, that makes so much of a difference. I know it's a different situation, but the year my mum died I obviously had a sad Christmas, but just seeing the lights and the atmosphere and seeing other people enjoying it, listening to carols, being outside in it, just that was enough to give me hope as well.

I hope you do have a wonderful Christmas this year lovely, you really do deserve it. <3

Too Shy is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)