Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:
10 Places You Don't Want To Visit

SOURCE

These are ten places you don’t want to visit! Having said that, maybe the curious would get a thrill from visiting some of these strange and dangerous places, but for most of us, reading about it is quite enough.

Great Pacific Garbage Patch
Pacific Ocean

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, also described as the Pacific Trash Vortex, is a gyre of marine litter in the central North Pacific Ocean located roughly between 135° to 155°W and 35° to 42°N. Most current estimates state that it is larger than the U.S. state of Texas, with some estimates claiming that it is larger than the continental United States, however the exact size is not known for sure. The Patch is characterized by exceptionally high concentrations of pelagic plastics, chemical sludge, and other debris that have been trapped by the currents of the North Pacific Gyre. The patch is not easily visible because it consists of very small pieces, almost invisible to the naked eye, most of its contents are suspended beneath the surface of the ocean. This is not a place the average Joe would want to visit.

Izu Islands
Japan

The Izu Islands are a group of volcanic islands stretching south and east from the Izu Peninsula of Honsh?, Japan. Administratively, they form two towns and six villages; all part of Tokyo. The largest is Izu ?shima, usually called simply ?shima. Because of their volcanic nature, the islands are constantly filled with the stench of sulfur (extremely similar to the smell of thousands of farts). Residents were evacuated from the islands in 1953 and 2000 due to volcanic activity and dangerously high levels of gas. The people returned in 2005 but are now required to carry gas masks with them at all times in case gas levels rise unexpectedly.

The Door to Hell
Turkmenistan

Address: Derweze, Turkmenistan

This has featured on listverse before, but it would be remiss of us to exclude it from this list. While drilling in Derweze in Turkmenistan in 1971, geologists accidentally found an underground cavern filled with natural gas. The ground beneath the drilling rig collapsed, leaving a large hole with a diameter of about 50-100 meters. To avoid poisonous gas discharge, scientists decided to set fire to the hole. Geologists had hoped the fire would go out in a few days but it has been burning ever since. Locals have named the cavern The Door to Hell. As you can see from the picture above, it is one hell of an amazing place, but certainly one you wouldn’t want to visit.

Alnwick Poison Gardens
England

Address: Denwick Lane, Alnwick, NE66 1YU, England

Inspired by the Botanical Gardens in Padua, Italy (the first botanical garden which was created to grow medicinal and poisonous plants in the 1500s), the Alnwick Poison Garden is a garden devoted entirely to plants that can kill. It features many plants grown unwittingly in back gardens, and those that grow in the British countryside, as well as many more unusual varieties. Flame-shaped beds contain belladonna, tobacco and mandrake. The Alnwick Garden has a Home Office license to grow some very special plants; namely, cannabis and coca which are found behind bars in giant cages – for obvious reasons.

Asbestos Mine
Canada

Address: Thetford-Mines, Quebec, Canada

Asbestos is a set of six naturally occurring silicate minerals highly prized for their resistance to fire and sound absorption abilities. On the downside, exposure to this stuff causes cancer and a variety of other diseases. It is so dangerous that the European Union has banned all mining and use of asbestos in Europe. But, for those curious enough to want to get close to the stuff, all is not lost. In Canada at the Thetford Mines, you can visit an enormous open pit asbestos mine which is still fully operational. The workers in the mines aren’t required to wear any sort of respiratory protection, and in some sections of the nearby town, residential areas are butted right next up against piles of asbestos waste. The mine offers bus tours of the deadly environment during the summer months. Tickets are free (would you expect it to be any other way?). If you decide to visit, don’t forget your full body bio-hazard suit.

Ramree Island
Burma

Ramree Island in Burma is a huge swamp home to 1000s of salt water enormous salt water crocodiles, the deadliest in the world. It is also home to malaria carrying mosquitos, and venomous scorpions. During the Second World War, the island was the site of a six week battle in the Burma campaign. Here is a description of one of those horrifying nights: “That night [of the 19 February 1945] was the most horrible that any member of the M.L. [motor launch] crews ever experienced. The scattered rifle shots in the pitch black swamp punctured by the screams of wounded men crushed in the jaws of huge reptiles, and the blurred worrying sound of spinning crocodiles made a cacophony of hell that has rarely been duplicated on earth. At dawn the vultures arrived to clean up what the crocodiles had left…Of about 1,000 Japanese soldiers that entered the swamps of Ramree, only about 20 were found alive.”

Yungas Road
Bolivia

The North Yungas Road (Road of Death or Death Road) is a 61 kilometres (38 mi) or 69 kilometres (43 mi) road leading from La Paz to Coroico, 56 kilometres (35 mi) northeast of La Paz in the Yungas region of Bolivia. It is legendary for its extreme danger with estimates stating that 200 to 300 travelers are killed yearly along it. The road includes crosses marking many of the spots where vehicles have fallen. The road was built in the 1930s during the Chaco War by Paraguayan prisoners. It is one of the few routes that connects the Amazon rainforest region of northern Bolivia, or Yungas, to its capital city. Because of the extreme dropoffs of at least 600 metres (2,000 ft), single-lane width – most of the road no wider than 3.2 metres (10 ft) and lack of guard rails, the road is extremely dangerous. Further still, rain, fog and dust can make visibility precarious. In many places the road surface is muddy, and can loosen rocks from the road.

Mud Volcanoes of Azerbaijan
Azerbaijan

In the Spring of 2001, volcanic activity under the Caspian Sea off the Azeri coast created a whole new island. In October 2001 there was an impressive volcanic eruption in Azerbaijan at Lokbatan, but there were no casualties or evacuation warnings. But Azerbaijan does not have a single active volcano, at least not in the usual sense of the word. What Azerbaijan does have is mud volcanoes – hundreds of them. Mud volcanoes are the little-known relatives of the more common magmatic variety. They do erupt occasionally with spectacular results, but are generally not considered to be dangerous – unless you happen to be there at the wrong time: every twenty years or so, a mud volcano explodes with great force, shooting flames hundreds of meters into the sky, and depositing tonnes of mud on the surrounding area. In one eruption, the flames could easily be seen from 15 kilometers away on the day of the explosion, and were still burning, although at a lower level, three days later.

The Zone of Alienation
Eastern Europe

The Zone of Alienation is the 30 km/19 mi exclusion zone around the site of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster and is administrated by a special administration under the Ukrainian Ministry of Extraordinary Situations (Emergencies). Thousands of residents refused to be evacuated from the zone or illegally returned there later. Over the decades this primarily elderly population has dwindled, falling below 400 in 2009. Approximately half of these resettlers live in the town of Chernobyl; others are spread in villages across the zone. After recurrent attempts at expulsion, the authorities became reconciled to their presence and even allowed limited supporting services for them. Because of looting, there is a strong police presence – so be warned, if you visit, you may either be shot or get radiation poisoning – and we all know how awful that can be.

Ilha de Queimada Grande
Brazil

Off the shore of Brazil, almost due south of the heart of Săo Paulo, is a Ilha de Queimada Grande (Snake Island). The island is untouched by human developers, and for very good reason. Researchers estimate that on the island live between one and five snakes per square meter. That figure might not be so terrible if the snakes were, say, 2 inches long and nonvenomous. The snakes on Queimada Grande, however, are a unique species of pit viper, the golden lancehead. The lancehead genus of snakes is responsible for 90% of Brazilian snakebite-related fatalities. The golden lanceheads that occupy Snake Island grow to well over half a meter long, and they possess a powerful fast-acting poison that melts the flesh around their bites. This place is so dangerous that a permit is required to visit.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
null_n_void
Yes, I'm an avatar now!

I am currently:

I actually wouldn't mind visiting The Zone of Alienation. I've always been fascinated with Chernobyl and the whole event.

‎"Damaged people are dangerous because we know we can survive"

null_n_void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
Isoverity

I am currently:

Yep Chernobyl has become a popular tourist place. They have wild horses running around and people who stayed in the area never got as sick as people expected

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

I've been to the poison garden. Actually the whole of Alnwick garden is lovely.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Sketchy

I am currently:

That was interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
lau_83
Laura

I am currently:

I'd love to visit the door to hell. Always interested me.

lau_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
Ellyx
Ella

I am currently:

I would like to visit a the "door to hell" the poison gardens and Chernobyl. I have a couple of friends who visited Chernobyl and said it was an amazing and unique experience. Though they have told me since the time they went the buildings have been made off limits to tourists due to structural damage.

Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality

Ellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

These are all really interesting! The pacific garbage patch is pretty sad though - I don't even want to think that it exists really. I've also seen the deadliest road on a TV show before, despite being only 1 lane wide it's not a one-way street which just adds to its deadliness. It needs to be closed off ASAP!

To those of you who want to visit Chernobyl: why? Personally I find it really upsetting and not to mention quite hazardous. People I know who have visited or seen surrounding areas said that it was very eerie. Does anybody know how close to the reactor tours will actually allow you to go?

I'd love to visit the Alnwick garden / poison garden though, it seems really interesting and I'd love to see those kind of things!

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentrics View Post
These are all really interesting! The pacific garbage patch is pretty sad though - I don't even want to think that it exists really. I've also seen the deadliest road on a TV show before, despite being only 1 lane wide it's not a one-way street which just adds to its deadliness. It needs to be closed off ASAP!
I'm sure if a better solution were available it would be closed, but it's the only road that allows you through the mountains. It's really hard too make roads when surrounded by steep falls and sheer cliffs.
that said, a little more maintenance wouldn't hurt.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Puppet Strings
commonplace.

The Alnwick poison gardens sound cool.

I see it in your eyes
You'll be alright

:heart:

Puppet Strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Killer Queen

I am currently:

I was just reading about Chernobyl, wouldn't mind organising a trip out there at some point, maybe in a year or two.

Killer Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Stellata

I can think of about 10 parts of London you probably don't want to visit, or do supply teaching in!!! Just a bit closer to home, like!/random possibly irrelevant fact!

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
startingagain

The Alnwick poison part of the gardens was a disappointment. Maybe I was unlucky but was bored by the tour guide. The water features and the tree house part were good though.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Aquifolia

The poison gardens sounds really awesome actually. A lot of poisonous plants are really pretty.

Aquifolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

Wow the poison garden sound lovely <3 I've always been fascinated with plants and nature and stuff.
Also I would love to see the snakes that sounds fascinating as well.(Though I guess you have to e a crazy zoologist-like I want to be- to go there haha)
And the road. It would be interesting to go there and see if I can make it. Really.

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

It would be fun to visit all of them places!

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)