Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #101
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelina View Post
I don't think it is completely foolproof and I do agree with some restrictions, moving forward I think restrictions based on participation in increase risk behaviours rather than a blanket ban on a group of society - for example number of sexual partners in a time frame or unprotective sex. How that would work in practice with regards to people's honesty is another matter. I just think it is a bit daft that a straight man/woman that has unprotective sex with as many partners as they like can donate whereas a man in a long term committed relationship with a single partner cannot. A balance needs to be found somewhere I just don't feel that the current criteria has it quite right, but that is just my opinion
Yeah, I agree with you, and I didn't know that heterosexual people were allowed to donate blood if they've had ALL the unprotected sex- that is quite illogical!

I'm not saying that the current criteria are right, just that labels such as 'disgusting' don't need to be attached to regulations that are in place for patient safety.

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #102
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

In regards to statistics, some studies have shown that as many as 1 in 12 gay men in London are HIV+ compared to 1 in 20 gay men in the rest of the UK, or 1 in 330 people in general in the UK. [more statistics].

Particularly in the early stages the tests can be a false negative, which is why HIV tests are repeated at intervals after known exposure. That said, the risks of getting HIV from donated blood are essentially zero (I don't think there's been a known case of it happening).

In regards to blanket-banning all unprotected sex, I believe the rates are much lower for ladies (including homosexual ladies) and hetrosexual men. Quoting that; "To date, there are no confirmed cases of female-to-female sexual transmission of HIV in the United States".

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #103
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Should of known I could rely on you to produce high-quality statistics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaiporia View Post
That said, the risks of getting HIV from donated blood are essentially zero (I don't think there's been a known case of it happening).
Is that because testing and restrictions are so stringent though? As opposed to it being because transfusions in general don't carry a risk of HIV transmission?

Old 18-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #104
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I think the risks of catching something through blood transmission is low, and often hyped up. IV drug use and sex are the big risk factors. Over 90% of HIV positive ladies are HIV positive from IV drug use. Just look at the BSE/vCJD scare; there have only been 4 known cases of vCJD from transfusions in the US.

(Speaking of vCJD, I can only find one case of a death from vCJD linked directly to a blood transfusion, but a lot more people have vCJD from other sources, hence why there are restrictions).

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #105
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Actually straight women are also quite a big risk group but no one is stopping them.

As I said, if gay men can prove they do not have HIV I see no reason for them to be blanket banned from donating.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

[''There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'I wish I was the monster you think I am.'

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #106
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
Actually straight women are also quite a big risk group but no one is stopping them.

As I said, if gay men can prove they do not have HIV I see no reason for them to be blanket banned from donating.
How does one 'prove' that one doesn't have HIV?

Old 20-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #107
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

^ Exactly, the issue is that antibodies from HIV infection take 3 months to show up in a blood test, so even if you have tested negative you may still be infected. And since gay men are in a high risk group, the risks outweigh the benefits of them donating.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #108
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by effervescence View Post
^ Exactly, the issue is that antibodies from HIV infection take 3 months to show up in a blood test, so even if you have tested negative you may still be infected. And since gay men are in a high risk group, the risks outweigh the benefits of them donating.
This. Also, at least here, HIV tests are not done as routine when doing an STI/D test. You have to specifically ask for one, and even then you have to go back again as already said.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)