I am currently:
ect

anyone had ect?
does it work?
side effects?
ects?

i've talked to one person and seen videos about it

the videos i didn't pay much attention to
but the person said she wouldn't do it again and that it has partially ruined her life...

also, do you know if you can remain outpatient during the treatment?

symplehicehty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

ECT -like all treatments for mental health issues- is subjective with the results. I haven't had it myself but wanted to remind you that in the way it helps you or effects you could be very different to another person, and while doing research about the treatment is good, be careful with people's subjective opinions about how it effected them. Such as it may have ruined this persons life it could very well have saved someone else's, youknow?

Is someone (a professional) suggesting that you have some ect treatment? If so, speaking to them is going to give you the best responses, especially about if you can remain outpatient. I've known people to do it via outpatient (I think..) but maybe it varies depending on where it is being performed.

Hoepfully someone with experience of ECT can provide you with some more details of their experience but keep in mind the subjectiveness of it all, and in the end your treating professional will always be able to help out and answer your questions, too.

Take care xxx

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Horizon

I am currently:

I have had ECT...only had it five times before I stopped because I hated the feeling of going under anesthesia. I was outpatient - went early every other day (except weekends) to have it done at a hospital. The procedure itself was very fast and painless, and you're not aware. After I woke up, there was some tiredness, and I had a very bad headache. It did not negatively impair me though. My memory of the experiences (except the procedure itself) is still intact.

My psychiatrist recommended it because medication and hospitalizations had not worked for a long time, and I was in immediate danger. Spoke to a few doctors who were reluctant to perform the procedure because I was only 18 at the time.

I do think it made a little improvement, and had I not been so afraid of the feeling of the anesthesia, I would have continued the treatment, and hopefully then I would know if it worked well for me or not. I have met a lot of people who have benefitted immensely from it.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
discovery_journey

I am currently:

I have had two lots of ECT.
First lot I had it sixteen times as an inpatient.
Second lot I had twenty times as an outpatient.

It worked the first time when I was inpatient and got me out of a very severe major depressive episode.

The second time it didn't work as well.

I was left with severely impaired long term memory (although this may also be down to illness too) and I did have short term memroy loss too.

Had headaches after treatment, but used to have a nap after wards and I'd take paracetomol to help with headache which seemed to work.

I used to like being put under anasthaetic because I used to hope I wouldn't wake up again.

If I were ever that badly depressed for a long period of time again I would consider having it done again.

discovery_journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
LaurieR
The Crazy Pharmacologist

I am currently:

I was 'threatened' with ECT when I was last inpatient...I refused to give consent so it did not happen.

Fatigue, tiredness and (usually) short-term amnesia are the commonest side effects after the treatment. Some people might also have a reaction to the anaesthetic used.

If a healthcare professional suggests ECT, he or she must explain to you fully about the treatment and ask for your consent, unless you are deemed unable to give consent by the new Mental Capacity Act then an independent second-opinion doctor will be called in to discuss the issue.

Personally I am both glad and regretful about refusing ECT- glad because I was afraid of memory problems but regretful because it could have really helped me. What a contradiction ;)

The freshly qualified Psycho-Pharmacologist who is taking psychiatric medications herself.

I am currently a postgraduate student in Psychiatric Research.

LaurieR is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)