RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
The Queen of Peace
Always does her best to please.

I am currently:
BPD

I don't know if posting here is the right thing to do or if anyone can say anything but it's worth a try.

I've seen a good few psychiatrists and psychologists, and my last therapy was with a psychotherapist; we did DBT. I've never been given a formal diagnosis, I mean, words have been thrown around a little, depression, bipolar, cyclothymia, but I've never been sat down and told what is wrong with me. And they've never mentioned BPD!

I'm just confused, why would they give me DBT (which they joked was the 'expensive' treatment!) if they didn't have good reason? DBT is therapy for borderline, right?

Why have I never been diagnosed with anything, is it because I'm an attention-seeking little bitch and don't actually have mental health issues, or is it because they don't know, or is it because I'm too young to diagnose (17), or is it because they didn't want me to know my diagnosis?

How can I find out if I have a diagnosis and then, if I do, what it is?

For you to be here now trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once. That is of course the miracle of life.
-Bill Bryson

Don't ever frown because you never know who's falling in love with your smile.

The Queen of Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
whirlpools

Do you have a mental health worker/therapist you still see? You can ask them if you've been given a formal diagnosis. They may feel that it's not helpful for you to know, but if that's the case they should explain that to you and give you the opportunity to ask anything you need to.

My experience, though I had been under mental health services since the age of 14, was not being diagnosed formally until the age of around 19. They do tend to be reluctant to give a diagnosis of BPD to people under the age of 18 as the brain and personality are still developing.

DBT was designed to help women who self harm or use self defeating behaviours. Many people who have the treatment have a diagnosis or identify with a PD diagnosis, but that doesn't mean it's just for those people.

I wouldn't imagine it's because of the words you called yourself in your second-to-last paragraph. Not having a formal diagnosis does not suggest the absence of mental health issues (even serious ones) at all. It just means that not everyone fits into a box.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
The Queen of Peace

I am currently:

I used to be under CAMHS but was discharged and was referred back but I see no point in going given that I'm 18 next month. I'm seeing my doctor on Friday, could I ask him about whether I have a diagnosis?

For you to be here now trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once. That is of course the miracle of life.
-Bill Bryson

Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
property

A friend and I were discussing this last night, actually.

I have a diagnosis of BPD and she has a diagnosis of something. I don't speculate myself, but she does not know what label she has been given where as I do, we're both under the same secondary service but we both have completely different therapies and treatement.

Anyway, we were discussing knowing and although sometimes she wants to know her diagnosis on the overall she more wants to just combat her issues in her therapy, whereas I know that I keep struggling with my CC, and attempting to encourage him to help me with my thoughts/beliefs/feelings/behaviours instead of just saying "well thats part of your diagnosis".

So, it's a double edged sword.

property is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
The Queen of Peace

I am currently:

So I went to the doctor today and chatted, we got a lot done really. I'm gunna come off my current medication over the next month so that I can try news meds after that. (He didn't want me on two at the same time because they can interact and whatnot.) And he's referring me to the surgery's counsellor which isn't exactly therapy but it's something, and I'm not complaining. I can't complain at that, can I? I said I wanted more talk therapy, and that's what I'm getting (kinda).

Can anyone tell me how counselling will differ from CBT/DBT? I've never done therapy - only ever therapy.

Hopefully this will lift me up again. Oh and after asking if I had a formal diagnosis, he said I don't because the psychs have very tight criteria to work with... Which makes me feel like I don't have an excuse for asking for help:/

-Bill Bryson

Old 19-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Angelina

I am currently:

They stopped telling me my diagnosis until about a year later, maybe because they described me as a complex case and were unsure- or it could be that I was getting stressed out because I was originally diagnosed with DID and treatment for that is difficult to get and I was getting stressed out about it because they were just throwing a ton of illnesses at me that are very difficult to ever recover from.

X

Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)