RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:
anxious about exercise

I really want to start exercising again because it's generally good for my mental health. Only thing is the though of it makes me really anxious. Even doing exercise at home makes me anxious.

I'm not even sure why.

Does anyone get this or know what I can do to get myself back into a exercise routine?

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Arienette

I am currently:

Be gentle on yourself. I stopped for a really long time, and couldn't get myself to go swimming/running, anything other than walking about for ages because I'd get too anxious.

A part of overcoming it is really just forcing yourself through the anxiety and proving it wrong. For example, I had convinced myself that I couldn't swim even though I have swam since I was 5 really. I was so convinced that I stopped going swimming and almost developed a fear about going swimming. One day I just got my stuff together and went with the idea that, if it went wrong, I could get out and come home.

It actually went fine and although I did a relatively short distance, I felt so much better and used that memory to over ride my anxieties about swimming. The same had to happen for running etc too, but it was baby steps and I didn't manage to stick to a routine.

I just had to go when I felt like I could, which turned out to be once a month for a good while.

I think though, not pressurising yourself to hit goals, distances, times or anything is a good idea and whatever you achieve is an achievement, because you even went. Otherwise you might scare yourself off if you try and pick up from where you left off at, or for example with my first time I did like 300m but it was important that I didn't compare that to my old abilities to hit 1000m in a session.

I also worried about people laughing and staring at me because I'm a really strange runner, mover in general. I'm really awkward and un-elegant. So how I got over the running thing was that I went on the field and my goal was just to get my heart pumping for as long as I felt I wanted at that time. Sometimes I would skip, or just fling myself around and I made a decision to not give a damn about people thinking I looked strange because I wasn't trying to do anything in particular, so whatever I was doing was fine. Music also helped me zone out of my immediate awareness of surroundings so that I could be in my own little world and just do what I wanted and feel like it was me, on my own, and the world around me wasn't real or even there. That really helped with the public anxieties of exercising and running. Now I have more confidence I actually run instead of flinging myself around at random to music: but it was overcoming each hurdle once at a time.

hope that helps and good luck!

:)

Arienette is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)