RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Doikers
Louder Than God's Revolver and Twice as Shiny

I am currently:
Hey Folks . Advice on CV/Resume ? What do I put ?

First up , Thank You for taking the time to read this :)

So.........

What all am I to put on a CV/Resume?
I am on a website but I don't even understand the format or questions. ( Bullet Points? )
What do I put for previous Jobs when I have been long term unemployed and do not have a very specific idea of when and where I last worked?
Do I mention my Psych History on applications? Would it get held against me?
I am willing do almost anything except stuff that is medically unwise due to allergies and such .
I have heard that you oughta pad out a CV/Resume but not lie and I'm not sure where one starts and the other ends to be honest .
Also are a CV and a Resume the same thing ?
Thanks Again Lovely People :)

I'm still not comfortable in my skin and the anasthetic's slowly wearing thin - Otep
Everyones lost but me! - Indiana Jones

It's okay , they know me here .

Kahlia1981 is my adopted little sister :)

''Courage doesn't always roar , sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow"

Doikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Irisflower

I am currently:

Have you done any volunteer work? Any specific interests of yours that might relate to the position applied for? I would not put your specific mental health on the resume but if it is a job where you may need some flexibility for appointments and stuff I would mention that I have a disability after being hired. That is what I did with my current job...Just let the manager know I sometimes need time for an unspecified disability, to attend doctor appointments...And it went well.
I wouldn't pad my resume. Just put things in that relate to the job.

Irisflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Doikers

I am currently:

I am Applying for a wide range of jobs and I am flexible .
I haven't worked in over a decade . I did volunteer for a Cyber cafe for a bit but it got shut down . I had taken a break from them as they were treating me like crap anyway and later found out that the police had shut them down . IDK why.
Apart from that I've done nothing . Been told to look after myself so been doing that . I've looked repeatedly into taking online GCSEs but I simply cannot afford it financially .
I tried a Access to Higher Education Course . I lasted 4 days but the stress got to me and I was crying in the car park . Should I put that I tried?
Erm , Skills . . . . Cannot type so fast . I will push myself at anything though , 100% or not at all , That's a good skill .
As it is I am basically an underachieving school leaver , but 36 , I am socially awkward to an almost crippling point , Shy , Introverted and extrodinarily anxious . Would only really be able to work well in a quiet atmosphere . I have hearing problems . But I am willing to work so hard , literally SO HARD for whoever pays the best . Sticking out in the rural sticks simply isn't an option , No Jobs , Counter productive MH care , No Life of a social variety at all . Lived in this town for 8 years , Went out once to 2 pubs with my friend who has since left . We didn't like it , there were far too many people and it was too expensive .
Technological skills . . . . I can use a Chromebook. And I can use Skype. I took so many lesson on a speadsheet , for like 3 months but I never understood it in the slightest . I can write emails okay from certain providers .
I will Try very hard at most stuff , no promise I'll be able to do it well but I will try . Tech skills . . . . I think That's it . Not awful .
I can cook pretty damn well though , I took a year of a 2 year course before bullying forced me to leave and I am good at cooking . That's good.
Erm , IDK what all else may be useful . I can Cook and Will try hard . I reckon I'd be good in a caring profession , I genuinally care about people and everything else . Cooking would help with that . Plus we could talk and such . I am good at listening . IDK that my Long history of Psych problems would be an issue .
I looked at websites but they are so complicated and I get overwhelmed very easily . Won't put that on a Resume.
I can Walk a fairly long distance easily .
It is hard to think as I have a headache due to anxiety . This is a good start though . I'd employ me :)
Keep Ideas coming? I'm very new to this so literally feeling my way through . ( Figurativlly ) .
I am Learning French Online too ! I almost forgot that . I wanted to learn french with the National Extension College but no way I can afford it but Duo lingo is free and Pretty good . I'm at 30% :) I have put that on my resume . It is the best thing so far :)

I'm still not comfortable in my skin and the anasthetic's slowly wearing thin - Otep

''Courage doesn't always roar , sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow"

Old 19-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
Irisflower

I am currently:

Have you thought about, with your cooking skills, being a PSW (Personal Support Worker), say, for someone elderly who no longer cooks but who enjoys a good dinner? Or accompanying them to medical appointments, etc.?
I think you have to take a short course but it's not very heavy.

Irisflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
whirlpools

You should not have to pay to get your GCSEs or equivalent. I'm fairly sure of that. It's kind of a basic education you're entitled to. It sounds like you could do with some professional advice and I'll admit I don't know what's available to you where you're from. I'd suggest, as a first port of call, the Citizens Advice Bureau. Another suggestion (if it's still a thing) is speaking to the Disabilities Adviser at the Job Centre. Do you have any mental health support at the moment? I would have thought services would be at least somewhat equipped to help you navigate this.

It's complicated, but it is of course possible to find the best way of gaining skills and 'selling' those skills to a potential employer, with the right support and advice.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Doikers

I am currently:

Hey , Thanks For your support :)
Does anyone know where I can do a free GCSE cause I have looked online and they all want money ? NEC and a bunch of others , I've looked at every distance learning course I can find .

Old 21-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

At my college you can get a loan to do your GCSES. I can't remember what it's called. It's either 19+ or 24+

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

It might be worth looking into skills based CVs, they tend to be better for people who have gaps in their CV or want to do change fields etc.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #9
whirlpools

Hey, just wondering if this site might be worth a mosey.

http://www.learndirect.com

http://www.learndirect.com/help/abou...ding-checker/#

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)