RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 15-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
japanesejuicebox

I am currently:
Sexual Health - pregnancy spotting? [personal/girly/sort-of-icky]

well... starting with a little history.

my boyfriend & i have been sexually active for almost a year. i've never used birth control because i don't have health insurance & i thought it would super expensive to get. so... we use the pull out method/ no condom, which has suited us very well. he has never had an "accident" or let it go before he pulled out. there are some times when we do have completely unprotected sex, in which case i take plan b (the morning after pill) within the reccomended amount of time after having sex and all is fine. this has happened less than a handful of times throughout our relationship & i've never experienced any side effects of the pill & have been baby free.

anyway. we had unprotected sex about a week ago (friday, 7 november) and i took the morning after pill the next afternoon (saturday, 8 november). then, this last thursday (13 november) we were kind of caught in the moment and, well... ya know. i let him come without pulling out. now, it's early saturday morning & i still haven't gotten the pill yet.

today, when i woke up and went potty, i noticed a really light, light pink spot. then, when i went potty again later on in the day, the spotting was a little darker, maybe a brownish tint, and there was more of it. kind of like when i first start my period. i went again later (seriously, i've peed a lot today) and i noticed that with the spotting, there were these little red particles in the potty. like somebody sprinkled little red minerals. this is something i have never experienced before in my life, even after taking the morning after pill. this happened again the next few times i've gone potty. i even used a tampon to see if it would be heavy like my period & also to see if the blood was coming from my [wherever girly-time blood comes from] to rule out a urinary tract infection, which would not show up on a tampon. sure enough, it was coming from [wherever girly-time blood comes from]. there was more brown substance, like what i get with my period, and some red as well. i haven't gotten any more of the red particle substance in my urine recently (within the past few hours) but i've still been spotting that really light pink.

this has kinda freaked me out, so i went online to research different kinds of symptoms for this & such, and i've come up with a few things. so i don't know exactly what to think!

i think it could be 1) it is pregnancy spotting. it has been 7-9 days after i had unprotected sex the first time in the recent chain of events, even though i took the morning after pill, it still falls within that time line for implantation bleeding/spotting to occur.

or 2) it could be a side effect from the pill. apparently menstrual changes (heavier/lighter bleeding) is a side effect of the pill. like i said, i've never experienced anything after taking plan b. also, my period isn't due until the end of the month, around the 26th or so. so, if it were my period, it would be over two weeks early.

or 3) it could be bleeding during ovulation. which i've never experieced before either, but apparently it does happen to people. i'm not exactly sure when i ovulate, but i'm guessing it would be some time around now.

or 4) there is something so seriously wrong with me that i don't even know what it could be.

i've never had anything like this happen to me before & i'm becoming a little stressed about it. i'm surprisingly relaxed at the thought of becoming a mother at 20, which is different from the past when i would become so distressed and take pregnancy tests after my period showing up just a few days late.

i'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before and if i should go to the e.r. or plan a pregnancy test at a woman's clinic or what? i really don't want to have to see a doctor for something that isn't wrong with me (like having a side effect from the pill) because i don't have health insurance and i don't have the out-of-pocket money for a trip to the emergency room.

sorry this is so long, but i wanted to give as many details as possible to get a better answer to my question.

thanks for your help!!

'cause a disaster's a disaster no matter what christian language
you drag it through.

Old 15-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Mad-Mad-World
Megan

I am currently:

A pregnancy test generally isn't accurate until after one's missed period, so I don't think that getting a test would make sense just yet.

But going to a woman's clinic would probably be a good idea. They can let you know what's up, whatever it may be. And it will put your mind at rest.

Even if it is just from the morning after pill, you're better safe than sorry.

I'm sorry... I fail at RYL...

Old 15-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Dramatic

Sounds to me like implantation bleeding (where the sperm has implanted itself in the egg).
A pregnancy test wouldn't show up as positive at this current time, you'd have to wait until a few days before your period/or after (for a more accurate result).

Really can't stress how important it is to use protection, especially if you're so dead set on not getting pregnant.
I'm pretty sure condoms are free over in America at some clinics. You didn't mention anything about allergic reactions, so i'm assuming that you both have no problems with them - and, even if you did, you can buy latex free condoms.
And, the pull out method obviously hasn't suited either of you well if you're still having to get the morning after pill - even if it's a handful of times, in my opinion it's still too often. The morning after pill shouldn't be used on a regular basis, it's usually used as a precaution after a one off accident, however, constant accidents is really a cause for concern.

If it is implantation bleeding it will settle down after a few days.
It could also just be one of those things, some women spot randomly inbetween cycles for no apparant reason - this is quite common, and has happened to me twice before.

I wouldn't say it's a massive cause for concern just yet. Keep an eye on it, and so long as it doesn't get heavy/you start bleeding clots - and you aren't due on - you should be ok.

But i really recon you should consider the use of condoms, so such mishaps don't continue to happen in the future.

Take care.
Laura

Old 15-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Animad

A pregnancy test would show up nothing at the moment so I would wait and see.

The Morning After Pill would need to be taken IMMEDIATELY if you are going to take it at all now as it's effectiveness will already be wearing off as you have to take it with a 72hr period of intercourse but really sooner rather than later. Plus you should not use this as a regular form of contraception as it does affect your hormone levels and can cause damage with regular usage. The MAP does mess up your cycle and hormone levels a LOT so that could be why you are having the problem and can cause bleeding or a change in your cycle so if it is just this one episode I would ignore it for now as it may just be the start of your normal period unless the blood gets to be really heavy or pain really bad and then you need to get checked out.

If it was 7-9days since your first 'unprotected'sex then it could be implantation bleeding as the morning after pill is not 100% effective so there is always the chance you could already be pregnant from that.

Now, I hope that answers your questions, any more just ask. I am now going to explain more about contraception and say that what you are referring to as protected sex (ie the withdrawal method) is also unprotected. When a guy has an erection they have some fluid which leaves there penis whilst having sex, before they actually ejaculate. This DOES contain sperm and also all of the infective agents which can lead to the passage of STDs. Because of this it is NOT a method of contraception and though it may slightly debatedly reduce chances of pregnancy it does by no way stop it at all and so you do need to look into other methods. I would strongly recommend you use condoms in the meantime and try and look for a hormonal form of birth control such as the pill or an implant into your arm (which I have forgotten the name of the one in the US) or some other forms. The injection is also a common one to use. Some such as the IUD coil are often not recommended unless you have had a child. But you do need to take this seriously as what you have been doing, from your description is that you have never actually had protected sex. I don't know about the systems in the US but in the UK birth control is free and you can buy condoms or get them from family planning clinics/ youth centres/ doctors surgeries for free so that may b worth looking into. Aidey will be able to give you advice on whether that kin of system occurs in the US.

I strongly suggest you read our article on Sexual Health

Last edited by Animad : 15-11-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 15-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Heidi*Ann

The pull out method won't always work, because often pre-cum is just as potent as sperm itself.

As has been said above, if you don't want to get pregnant then you should make him wear a condom.

Old 15-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Aidee

I am currently:

The likely hood that it is implantation bleeding is slim, since you did take the morning after pill after having unprotected sex a week ago. However, like Kim said, the MAP is known to mess up your periods, which is probably the most likely cause of the bleeding.

Morning after pill - ~$70 each
12 Months of birth control pills off the Wal-Mart $4 list - $48

Go find a public health center or a planned parenthood near you, go, get birth control. In the long run it's much safer, better for your body, and more reliable than what you are doing now.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 15-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Oliviaface

Just use contraception to avoid things like this happening again.
The pullout method just doesn't work at all. You've been lucky.

Old 15-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

The pullout method is not an effective method whatsoever. Boys have pre-cum.

Get some free condoms from a health centre, or just buy them, they aren't that expensive.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

Old 15-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
japanesejuicebox

I am currently:

thanks bunches for all the advice!

i understand that the pull out method & the map aren't effective 100% and i accepted that fact the very first time i had sex. we've tried using condoms and it irritated both of us, so we tried different kinds and never found a type that fit us, so we stopped using them.

it was a "just this once" kind of thing that we decided he didn't have to pull out & i will accept if i'm prego, i just need to know what to plan, or if it's something urgent that i need to see a doctor immediately or anything. =)

as for right now, i'm bleeding a little heavier so i don't know what kind of texture it is or anything so i guess i'll see how it plays out.

anyway. fanks again!

'cause a disaster's a disaster no matter what christian language
you drag it through.

Old 15-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Aidee

I am currently:

It's obviously not "just this once" since you mention you've used the morning after pill several times. You really need to look into some method of birth control.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 15-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
Dramatic

I have to agree with Aidey. It quite obviously isn't just the "once" as you've mentioned it happened a "handful" of times before.
The pull out method simply isn't a good use of birth control. You can get Latex free condoms, which means they won't "irritate" you or your partner.

It just seems irresponsible to continue to use this method knowing full well it doesn't work. *shrug*
Each to there own.

Old 15-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
x-mixedemotions

I am currently:

you definatly need to think of a contraceptive method.. in the long run morning after pills are going to be more expensive than contraceptives themselves.
all i can say is monitor the amount your bleeding, it could be that the MAP has brought on period like bleeding.. in general pregnancy spotting/implantation bleeding is no heavier than a few spots and tend to not fill a sanitary pad like a normal period does..
try and see someone at a planned parenthood center or your doctor and talk to them about contraceptives. if you still feel as though you might be pregnant more near the time that your period is due you could always get a pregnancy test that detects a pregnancy earlier than a normal one..
take care

**If You Love Someone Or Something Enough, Set Them Free.**

I Will Never Forget You.

Old 16-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Animad

Condoms are NOT the only method of Birth Control and this is what you've got to look into unless you want to be taking the MAP all the time which will basically mess you up so bad that you'll have loads of internal scarring your body want no whether your hormones are coming and going and it will end up more than likely making you infertile if you start to use it all the time. It in itself is NOT and has never intended to be a form of Contraception; it is for EMERGENCIES for if another form of proper contraception fails.

The most common form of hormone contraceptives are 'the pill' and there are different types depending on your own health status, problems and medications you're on. Generally these are taken daily though they may need to be taken multiple times a day if you are on some medications.

If you don't want to take tablets then there are hormone patches that often last for about a week and after that time you change it to a new one.

You can get the injection which is basically an injection which protects you against pregnancy for 3months afterwards and often stops your periods.

Then there are implants which get put into your arm (which for the life of me I cannot remember the name of) but they can stay in place for a couple of years and are often almost 100% affective, they are thought to be th most effective form around at the moment.

Thetr are also forms where things can be put into your uterus known often as the IUD Coil but these may or may not be available for you depending on your age and whether or not you want kids/ if you've had any.

NONE of these affect how sex feels and they all help to prevent against prgnancy though nothing is totally 100%. This needs to be something you discuss with a doctor/ nurse ASAP. What you are doing right now is basically pulling out and hoping for the best and you have been VERY lucky. You are an example of how human fertility rate is actually pretty low. Unless you actively want to get pregnant then you should stop using this 'method' and get some proper help with contraception as the Withdrawal/ pull-out/ whatever you want to call it method is NOT a form of contraception and you have basically just been very lucky in the past that you haven't been pregnant as nothing much has ever been done to stop it.

The only thing that stops the transmission of 'STDs' are condoms. They don't stop the spread of skin contact ones such as genital lice "crabs" or Genital Warts.

This is something which I can't stress how serious you need to start thinking about and not just you, your partner as well.

Old 16-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
fragile as glass
such a beautiful disaster

I am currently:

The implants are called 'implanon' in the UK (brand name). The drug is 'ETONOGESTREL'. Its a progestogen only subdermal contraceptive implant. Ie. it goes just under the skin in your arm. Its painless to put in and cant be seen.

It lasts around 3 years but a bit less if youre overweight

GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE
THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Don't let the sphincter's get you down

Old 16-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
Animad

Yep, that's it. I only had the name of the old one in my head and knew that wasn't right. It basically makes your body think you're pregnant and so stops cycling as is the most effective form of contraception though does not prevent against STDs

Old 17-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #16
Mad-Mad-World
Megan

I am currently:

I'd strongly recommend condoms or a form of medication that acts as contraception, but, barring that, Natural Family Planning, while it still has a GREAT number of flaws, and is nowhere near as safe as condoms/medication, is a better plan than the pull out method. There are a few books that are out about it, and Planned Parenthood clinics have info about it. It's pretty much a type of birth control that relies on seeing where you are in your cycle, and finding times where is is safer, and times when it is unsafe to have sex.

Again, you're better off with condoms or hormonal contraception

I'm sorry... I fail at RYL...

Old 18-11-2008, 03:03 AM   #17
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

in the UK IUS (coils with hormones - brand name mirena) are fitted as a form of emergency contraception where it is too late for the MAP, it hurts (and i'd recently had a baby!!) but it lasts 3-5-8 years depending on brand and can be taken out at any point by a trained dr.

you could also try a diaphragm, cap or sponge - you need spermicidal gel with these (you didn't mention what irritates you with condoms - it might not be the latex, it could be the spermicidal lube that they use on them), there are copper coils (IUD's - coils without hormones) and IUS (coils with hormones), injection, implant, patch, pill...erm think i got em all??

lots to choose from. go shopping, go wild, come back with one of each.
mand x

Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)