RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 20-08-2019, 02:01 AM   #1
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:
How to cope when your own home doesn't feel safe?

My flat has always been my safe space.

About a month ago the clowncil wrote to me saying that I am due to have my flat rewired. A couple of weeks ago a person came to do a survey in the flat to check the wiring and see what extra sockets needed placing. They arranged to do the work yesterday (19th August).

Yesterday I have come back and found that not only have they put extra sockets in and rewired the flat but put extra smoke detectors in every room bar the shower room and changed the light in the shower room. I am now scared that they have wired cameras to spy on me for the aliens. Now they told me to go out for the day so I wasn't around for the workmen to check that they weren't putting in cameras.

What do I do? Short of dismantling the smoke alarms (if that's possible) idk how to get rid of the problem. I dont feel safe in my flat anymore. There was no mention of changing the bathroom light or extra smoke alarms. I am fine with the extra sockets however.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Soft Kitty

Oh, that's difficult. I think I would feel similarly, but thoughts and feelings aren't always accurate. Do you think you could come up with some alternative thoughts about what might have happened?

For example, it doesn't seem like there is any evidence to suggest that there are cameras or that the workmen were spies. Perhaps, due to organisational lack of communication, the council forgot to tell you that the workmen needed to fit other things. This happens often, unfortunately, and sadly doesn't take into account how anxious that could make a vulnerable person feel.

What I would suggest is contacting the council to ask why this extra work has been done. It might alleviate some concerns. I definitely wouldn't dismantle anything because that could cause you harm. Instead, if this worry persists over the next day or two, I would suggest contacting your CPN as she could probably help you a lot.

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
tamobhuuta

Do you have any evidence for the cameras? More than it seeming possible I mean? I get scared about cameras too and my therapist always used to tell me to look for evidence.

Ying tong iddle ai po!

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I would definitely agree that speaking to the council could be a good plan. Maybe ask them about the work they're doing in their properties that need rewired. Is there someone else you know who might have had similar things carried out? I have had this done before, and they did change the smoke alarms and the light in the bathroom. Did you have battery powered smoke alarms before? Usually wired ones are put most places, and that's good because the council are obviously thinking about your safety. I understand your worries though and I hope you can find a way to put your mind at ease.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Auror.
Camden

I agree with the others advice. I also wonder if when your CPN has returned they could help you write a letter to the council, explaining that if someone is coming to do work you need to 1. be present (or have your mum or someone be present) and 2. need to be told explicitly what will be done for health reasons. This shouldn't be an unreasonable request. I know I don't live in your country, but I had to do this in an old place where I lived and it helped a lot.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Thanks everyone for your replies.

One of my upstairs neighbours had the rewiring work done today so I might ask them. I had a smoke detector in the hall before so I have now more than twice as many as I did before. My parents came before and I got my dad to test the alarms. That made me feel better because if the cameras were there they would be interfering with the sound.

My cpn is on holiday and Idk anyone else in the cmht. I keep on thinking that my cats will protect me from the aliens. I had to have a minor amount of remedial work done but I was ok with that because I could stay in my flat and supervise the workmen (even though it only took them ten minutes which in my mind is not enough time to fit any more cameras).

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)