RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
Dataunit
It'll all be fine in the end.

I am currently:
Keeping a diary/journal

I decided a month ago to start keeping a diary again. I did it before at two points in my life and they did help me. Instead of the thoughts going round and round in my head, writing them down fees like I've discussed them with someone - someone who never tires of hearing what I have to say and never judges me. Obviously, there's the risk that other people will sneak a peek at what I've written, so some of the more personal entries are either extremely vague ("I was with X and we were talking about that thing we'd been worried about and we came to the conclusion that Y"), or they're written in code. I never feel obliged to write anything. I write about personal issues as well as current political affairs, and my opinion thereof. I only ever write when I feel like it, and it's an awful lot - I've been through a whole book in less than 4 weeks!

Does anyone else have experiences or keeping a diary?

Dataunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Puck
Ultreya

I am currently:

I kept a diary for years when I was a teenager until my mum thought something was wrong and read the whole thing making me have no trust to have a diary again.

However in recent months I bought a notebook and I'm going to start writing again, I already do like scales of symptoms and how good or bad they are. But not yet written how I actually feel or what is on my mind but I yearn to do so, so will just be sensible in what I reveal for any prying eyes.

It's good to use them it really helped me when I was younger.

"It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit"
-J.R.R Tolkien

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
nonperson

I am currently:

I’ve never had a proper daily diary but I did use Live Journal quite prolifically back in the day.

I still do the same with the journal here and in ranting/venting although it tends to just be about life struggles rather than political issues or general stuff.

You’re right in that writing it down or typing it out is a way to discuss it openly or even just with yourself and sometimes it helps to make sense of things.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I write every day, I find I express things better in written words and it can help to get thoughts into a kind of viewable from the outside form. I also have a private blog on Blogger, I just transfer my daily diary entries to the blog so I have a digital copy that I can add tags to for easy searching. If you were worried about someone finding your writing you could create a private blog.

I don't think anyone should really 'force' themselves to write every day, it's ok to write when you feel like it and when you need to rather than making it like a task. I hope you're finding it useful.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Dataunit
It'll all be fine in the end.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_step_closer View Post
I don't think anyone should really 'force' themselves to write every day, it's ok to write when you feel like it and when you need to rather than making it like a task.
This. I think the main reason why I gave up writing previously (after a year or so of doing it) was that it felt like a chore and that I felt I had to write at least one A5 page daily. Now I only write when I have something to say. Some days, I don't write anything, or just one short paragraph, and other days I write pages upon pages. I always note the date and time so I can make several entries in one day if I want to. Furthermore, I'm not too picky about how I formulate the entries. If I was writing an essay, I'd spend more time on that but I find that worrying about format just slows me down and stops me from putting down everything I wanted to say.

Dataunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

I've written in a diary for many years on and off.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Straight 3

I am currently:

I find it helpful.

Straight 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I find it helpful for me too, as i can write about how I am really feeling in a place that is safe and I don't have to worry too much about what I have written or fear of being judged or what my handwriting looks like.

I am also writing two blogs at the moment, my student blog and main blog on wix. i find that i really helps me when things are tough and i need write down something and also gives me that motivation to get up in the morning.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
Soft Kitty

I use a blog for a diary, similarly to how I'd use the R/V. You can also get diary apps on your phone where you have to have a passcode to enter. I really like using a diary/blog, whether to process things, note things down for memory purposes, or host write down upsetting or funny thoughts I have. It's quite nice sometimes to use blogs as you can also post photos to help you record moments, but you do lose the personal-ness of a paper diary.

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #10
Kyrilnys

I am currently:

I started keeping a diary again a month or 2 ago. It helps me stop thinking about things so I write in it daily.

Kyrilnys is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)